How to: Ltd Ed Nav AUX In/Out, Sub Out

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

How to: Ltd Ed Nav AUX In/Out, Sub Out

Postby atmurray » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:18 pm

2008 Liberty/Legacy with the Limited Edition Navigation pack have a 24 pin which is normally only partially populated. The optional AUX in factory option includes an in-line harness to give the following:
Audio L/R In
Video In
Video Out
Sub Line Out and Amp power on

I've documented the pin as viewed from the head unit. If in doubt, use the existing harness wires as reference. Note the two pins that need to be shorted to enable the AUX input. When enabled, the AUX input can be switched to by pressing AUX or by selecting the AUX option in the Audio Screen menu.

Furthermore, note the pin labelled "Park Break", I suspect that if you disconnect this and short the pin (on the head unit side) to ground the Nav/Video lockout will be removed! I haven't tried this myself, it's for a future project (probably when I get around to putting in my sub).
atmurray

Postby Digital » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:22 am

thanks for posting this atmurray, sorry to jump in on the thread here...

so i wanna chuck these two 12" kicker subs i have lying around so im getting my mate to give me hand since hes an installer.... now my question is:

do i need to get a specific connector/converter for the sub out /aux in etc... cos my mate mention that to install a sub he can do, but if i wanted to control the sub from the touchscreen (as the nav unit gives u the option to turn the sub off/on adjust its volume etc) i would need some sort of connector maybe from subaru? he suggested i give them a call but i have a feeling that wont be too helpful...

can anyone shed some light on this? i have taken pics of my unit, i got the sat nav on my my08 2.5i...

its a kenwood unit model number i think is F2DA07MRHF2

there seems to be a spot for the connector (black plug) on the back of the unit and my mate guessing thats where u can control the sub from....

damn i thought this was gonna be simple!! hope someone understands what the hell i just wrote lol

pics:

MY08 2.5i - Satin Pearl White - Sat Nav [TEAM WHITE]
Digital
-stickered-

Car: MY08 2.5i Sedan - TEAM WHITE
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5767&start=0

Postby drewy1 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:12 am

By adding the subaru gen aux harness will give you the connections you will need for adding your amp and sub, it even gives you remote out to turn the amp. I think it cost about $150 dollars, but remember to connect the blue/white and red/white leads or the aux won't work.
drewy1

Postby Doctor » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:33 pm

Digital and atmurray,

Those photos/schematics you've posted...
Are they of the actual sat nav unit itself or of the stereo HU????

Postby Digital » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:09 pm

hey doctor,

the pics i posted is from the stereo HU, as my mate said that all connections would run through there and not to the sat nav screen...

i have a feeling there might be some connections on the sat nav though? i ran out of time so couldn't remove it...
Digital
-stickered-

Postby drewy1 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:41 pm

There is no wiring running to the lcd screen that has anything to do with aux input/output harness, the harness has everything you need bar power and earth to hook to the amp. It gives you audio video in and out as well your sub rca preout with remote turn on cable to connect to the amp. But you will need to buy the aux cable from subaru. I have done this and works well as long as you only want amp the subs.
Hope all goes well.
Andrew
drewy1

Re: How to: Ltd Ed Nav AUX In/Out, Sub Out

Postby atmurray » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:39 am

Sorry to dig up this old thread but I thought I'd let everyone know that I tried out cutting the Park Break wire and as I thought this removed the Nav/video lockout whilst in motion "feature".
So to do this, cut the pin labelled "Park Break" in my diagram above, then short to ground the pin ON THE AVN SIDE (note NOT the car harness side).
atmurray

Postby Digital » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:50 am

thanks mate! :neo:
Digital
-stickered-

Postby rickerty » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:39 pm

Sorry to be diggin' up an historic thread but I kinda need some advice on the subject.
I'm trying to install the genuine aux cable in the satnav k'wood unit and I've hit a wall so to speak.
So far I have the smaller male connector in place and have shorted the 2 pins in the oem 24pin harness as detailed in the above posts (thanks guys for putting these up)
and I'm left with a larger 3 pin female connector vacant.
I'm told that in the non satnav unit this left over connection would be utilised in-place of an existing harness (like a piggy back I think).
At this point I have enabled the select Aux function via the the button/head unit but am not receiving any signal or sound, just a blank screen with AUX is displayed... :?

Does anyone with the satnav have any idea where to go from here?

I have attached some pics to maybe illustrate what I'm trying to say.
Attachments
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG (60.39 KiB) Viewed 17632 times
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (68.52 KiB) Viewed 17632 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (77.34 KiB) Viewed 17632 times
[MY08/Lib/ej25/5MT/Limited Ed./SatNav/TeamWagon!]
HKS | MOMO | HID/LED | BILSTEIN
rickerty
-stickered-

Car: MY08/LTD/EJ25/5MT/WAGON

Postby rickerty » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Does anyone know what this "Remote Control cable at Vehicle body" is?
I've searched and can't find anything on it, nor can I locate the mystery cable in the car :?
Attachments
H6210AG000 2.jpg
H6210AG000 2.jpg (107.97 KiB) Viewed 17591 times
rickerty
-stickered-

Postby rickerty » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:12 pm

I just thought I'd mention in case anyone lacking an Aux input in their Kenwood unit is interested:

After installing the Subaru Aux cable I acquired from another member (thanks Mihai). It seemed to me that it may not be necessary to have a genuine cable as I ended up cutting off and ditching the plugs/connectors and just soldering new pins to the wires,
in fact it would be possible to run your iPod (or whatever) through any female 3.5mm jack that was connected to the audio pins (see atmurray's schematic above).
This is also the case for the Video in too.

If anyone wanting an aux in is interested in doing this I will post a walk-through when I am home (posting from phone atm)

So stoked I can finally turn corners without cd's flying all over the shop! hehe
:P
Last edited by rickerty on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
rickerty
-stickered-

Postby Digital » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:53 am

nice work, glad u got it sorted!
Digital
-stickered-

Postby bbboy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:42 am

atmurray wrote:Sorry to dig up this old thread but I thought I'd let everyone know that I tried out cutting the Park Break wire and as I thought this removed the Nav/video lockout whilst in motion "feature".
So to do this, cut the pin labelled "Park Break" in my diagram above, then short to ground the pin ON THE AVN SIDE (note NOT the car harness side).

I'm hoping to do this this weekend but I'm not sure what this means exactly. I don't want to stuff it up!

When you say "pin", do you mean the actual piece of metal protruding from the head unit? If I cut it off, how do I then short it to ground? I'm not sure what "AVN side" vs "Car harness side" means either... :(

What would happen if I just squeezed another wire into the 'park brake' slot on the white plastic connector and grounded it (without cutting any wires or pins)?
bbboy

Postby bbboy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:41 pm

rickerty wrote:I just thought I'd mention in case anyone lacking an Aux input in their Kenwood unit is interested:

After installing the Subaru Aux cable I acquired from another member (thanks Mihai). It seemed to me that it may not be necessary to have a genuine cable as I ended up cutting off and ditching the plugs/connectors and just soldering new pins to the wires,
in fact it would be possible to run your iPod (or whatever) through any female 3.5mm jack that was connected to the audio pins (see atmurray's schematic above).
This is also the case for the Video in too.

If anyone wanting an aux in is interested in doing this I will post a walk-through when I am home (posting from phone atm)

So stoked I can finally turn corners without cd's flying all over the shop! hehe
:P

Hi mate, I'd LOVE to know what pins you used? I've done a shonky job which is starting to fall apart and would love to do it properly with the correct pins for the new wires to go into the harness.

I'd be grateful if you could let me know
bbboy

Postby Hybrid » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:03 pm

Yep looking to find out where to get the right pins also :)
Hybrid

Next

Return to Audio options