Gen2 head unit wiring

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Gen2 head unit wiring

Postby cazz226 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:12 pm

I recently got a Gen2, and not realising the wiring harnesses were available happily snipped all the stereo wires earlier this evening. Now the thing is I have 14 wires in the car, and 11 matching ones on the Pioneer headunit. The questions (based off the above diagram) - the first 3 mainly being for peace of mind:

Blue/red is the constant 12v supply?
Yellow is the "terminal controlled by ignition switch"?
What do I do with the interior lights system wires (white/green and yellow/blue)? Do I just tape over them and ignore them?

And the one I really can't get my head around ...
How do I hook up the power antenna (green/orange) to the headunit? There seems to be nothing on the headunit for it ...

Many thanks.
cazz226

Postby subnub » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:10 pm

On a pioneer deck, unless things have changed with the newer ones, you don't have a separate wire for Antenna. You have to use the (blue) remote wire - yes, the same one that's used to power up an amp. This wire gets power any time the head unit is on, so the aerial will come up. The downside is that it doesn't differentiate between CD and radio, but it really doesn't matter if the aerial is up when you're listening to a CD.

You don't list a model number but all the Pioneers I've looked at (only probably 10 or so but they've all been the same) are set up like this:

Black - earth (duh)
Yellow - constant power
Red - accessories (the ignition switch one you're talking about)
Blue - remote
Orange w/ white stripe - illumination (dash lights)

That's the important ones, the rest should be fairly obvious (speakers etc)

If I remember correctly, one of those dash light pairs is dimmed, the other isn't. In other words, one will give you ~12V regardless of what you do with the dimmer, the other will vary in voltage from ~12V down to maybe a few volts, in proportion to the dash light brightness. Use a multimeter or test light to work out which.

If you mix up red and yellow it should still work but you'll lose all your presets, settings etc when you turn the car off.

Hope that helps!
subnub

Car: MY08 GT-B tb STi sedan 6MT

Postby cazz226 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:40 pm

I sorted everything out, had all the colours from my service manual except it had green listed twice. Cheers for the help, it all works now and I have dash lights back (which helps at night =P) after replacing three fuses, and I now know what not to do. My only problem is one channel (rear right) from my head unit doesn't work - probably my fault but I can cope with it for the time being.

Thanks,
Callum
cazz226

Return to Audio options