Another Nexus 7 Project

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Another Nexus 7 Project

Postby ScoobyPaul » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Hey all. Long time lurker, very little poster ;)

I'm in the middle of a bunch of things with my car, but I thought I'd share my progress with the Nexus 7 (2013) install.

I was going to go with a 2012 as it's slightly larger, but I couldn't get it to communicate with the PC, even after installing a new USB port in the tablet. So I bought a 2013 and there's lots of hardware advantages anyway.
received_1416335471761631.jpeg
received_1416335471761631.jpeg (82.73 KiB) Viewed 6531 times

So I found an OEM bezel from Japan (at a gob smacking cost! You don't want to know!) that has the large screen opening and thinner vents. It's the perfect width for the Nexus, but too tall and leaves an ugly gap.

After experimenting with a bunch of ideas, I made myself an ideal template for a fascia plate...then I came across a simple generic double din fascia plate on ebay for church change which was almost the exact same size as my template. So I bought it and attacked it with my Dremel and Stanley knife.
received_1416300731765105.jpeg
received_1416300731765105.jpeg (43.98 KiB) Viewed 6531 times

So far so good. It all fits, just needs a slight bit more trimming across the top to sit completely flush.
IMG_20170614_135003899_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170614_135003899_HDR.jpg (123.79 KiB) Viewed 6531 times

There's a slight gap at the bottom where the bezel kicks back. I've got some hard black felt which I'll cut out and use in that gap. I think/hope it will do the job while still retaining that OEM look. We'll see.

My biggest problem has been the learning curve of rooting the damn tablet in the first place. I'd never done anything like that before. I'm quite tech savvy, but with Windows, not Android or Linux. So it took a bit of getting used to. I found an awesome program called Nexus Root Toolkit which took care of a lot of the problems for me. It's running fast charge and the function where it turns off/hibernates when the ignition is off (sorry for my lack of correct terminology)

So far I've installed Timur's Kernel (I'm not worried about having the "latest and greatest" Android versions), Torque which is connected to an ODBII bluetooth adaptor and I'm still trying to work out the best driving launch screen setup app. None seem to be really fitting the bill for me...but I don't know why.

As for connections, I'm going to run a Jaycar Powertech 12v - 5v converter wired to turn off with the ignition, an OTG split cable to connect the power and a Behringer UCA202 audio converter which will run into the Aux In on the back of the McIntosh system.

All I need to do now is to connect it all up (and possibly relocate the USB out of the Nexus, which will require some soldering and is no problem for me)

I'm looking for ideas on apps for phone connectivity (tablet talk?) and anything else that anyone with experience has found comes in handy.

As for why I'm doing this. It's simply because I want to. I dig little projects like these and solving all the problems that come with it. I'm inquisitive! It's definitely not from a cost perspective...I can tell you that straight up. :lol:

Now to figure out how to hold it all in place!!
MY07 3.0R Spec B Wagon.
Raptor intercooled supercharger kit
Raptor headers
3" SS exhaust, hi flow cats.
Nexus install and Brembos in progess...
ScoobyPaul

Car: MY07 3.0R Spec B

Re: Another Nexus 7 Project

Postby HyRax » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:07 pm

Nice work on the fascia! Looks clean!

Don't be afraid of Linux - it's actually MUCH easier to use with Android than Windows is. Seriously.

Apps and launchers will ultimately be down to personal preference. I myself went with the Google Launcher simply because when I start the car it goes to Torque right away and I just use the other apps I need (Maps, Music, Movies) on demand. Tablet Talk is definitely the way to go with phone connectivity - works a treat!

See my 2015 post in my profile thread about my install for some ideas. There are also dozens of other threads by other members too - we've all had different approaches to the tablet install and general functionality.

Have fun with the tinkering - it can be a lot of fun!
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby BMCracer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:39 pm

Nice one. I got the same surround you have from a wreckers yard, will be doing this as soon as I can find a Nexus 7 for a reasonable price. I even have the same year and spec car as you!! Keep us updated.
2007 NZ new 3.0 Spec B 5EAT wagon in Brilliant Silver 39D
BMCracer

Car: NZDM MY07 3.0R Spec B 5eat Wgn

Postby ScoobyPaul » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:08 pm

HyRax wrote:Nice work on the fascia! Looks clean!

Don't be afraid of Linux - it's actually MUCH easier to use with Android than Windows is. Seriously.

Apps and launchers will ultimately be down to personal preference. I myself went with the Google Launcher simply because when I start the car it goes to Torque right away and I just use the other apps I need (Maps, Music, Movies) on demand. Tablet Talk is definitely the way to go with phone connectivity - works a treat!

See my 2015 post in my profile thread about my install for some ideas. There are also dozens of other threads by other members too - we've all had different approaches to the tablet install and general functionality.

Have fun with the tinkering - it can be a lot of fun!

Ooooh! I will check out that thread.

And now I need to hassle you about your brembos... Mind if I shoot you a PM?
MY07 3.0R Spec B Wagon.
Raptor headers
ScoobyPaul

Postby ScoobyPaul » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:27 pm

BMCracer wrote:Nice one. I got the same surround you have from a wreckers yard, will be doing this as soon as I can find a Nexus 7 for a reasonable price. I even have the same year and spec car as you!! Keep us updated.

I will mate!

So far no news. I don't get much time free from work. But I did get to do a little test fit and I have a few ideas on how to actually mount the tablet. Once I work that out I'll post some more pics.
MY07 3.0R Spec B Wagon.
Raptor headers
ScoobyPaul

Postby HyRax » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:59 pm

ScoobyPaul wrote:And now I need to hassle you about your brembos... Mind if I shoot you a PM?

Sure thing. 8)
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby BMCracer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:20 pm

Any updates boss?

So far I've bought a Behringer UCA222 USB DAC, a USB OTG cable, and a 12v to 5v 3amp 15watt power supply. Waiting for the invoice for a Tactrix Openport 2.0 and extension cable so that can be sent on it's way to me. Today I rooted my Nexus 7, now got to suss out and install Timors' kernel. Got to find and buy a reversing camera ( anyone know where I can get an OEM factory one for a Brilliant Silver 2007 wagon? ) and UVC device, then I should be able to start piecing it all together - that's when the fun starts!! :mrgreen:
BMCracer

Postby andy_mac » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:00 pm

Might find hat 3A power supply is a tad on the lean side. Had a 3A one in mine which never got above 4-500mA which wasn't enough to get a decent charge from each drive. New, larger one consistantly gets 900mA+
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Postby ScoobyPaul » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:43 pm

BMCracer wrote:Any updates boss?

So far I've bought a Behringer UCA222 USB DAC, a USB OTG cable, and a 12v to 5v 3amp 15watt power supply. Waiting for the invoice for a Tactrix Openport 2.0 and extension cable so that can be sent on it's way to me. Today I rooted my Nexus 7, now got to suss out and install Timors' kernel. Got to find and buy a reversing camera ( anyone know where I can get an OEM factory one for a Brilliant Silver 2007 wagon? ) and UVC device, then I should be able to start piecing it all together - that's when the fun starts!! :mrgreen:

Nothing new yet. My time has been invested in work. My assistant manager left, was stuck without one for ages then when I finally got one they moved her to another store after week. :angry2:

So suffice it to say I've been busy as hell :lol:

The only new thing I have is a Beat-Sonic AVC9 aux lead. I still don't know how I'm going to hold the Nexus in place against the fascia...I need some time to figure it out as I want it to be removable in case any issues arise.

If anyone has pics of how they have managed it, that'd be greatly appreciated.
MY07 3.0R Spec B Wagon.
Raptor headers
ScoobyPaul

Postby ScoobyPaul » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:45 pm

andy_mac wrote:Might find hat 3A power supply is a tad on the lean side. Had a 3A one in mine which never got above 4-500mA which wasn't enough to get a decent charge from each drive. New, larger one consistantly gets 900mA+

I won't be charging a drive as it's just going to use internet radio through my phone. The mini USB DC power box I have is 5v@2.1A. Do you think that'll be ok?
MY07 3.0R Spec B Wagon.
Raptor headers
ScoobyPaul

Postby Flat6Estate » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:14 pm

Holding the nexus against the facia is easy with a couple of cheapo L brackets and screws.
Can show you when we get around to catching up.

You will most probably need to drill a hole in the drivers side vent to get the micro-usb cable to plug into the port on the nexus
MY08 Spec B 3.0L Manual Wagon
1998 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat - a bit broken :-o
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Car: 2007 MY08 Liberty Wagon 3RB 6spd
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32189&p=425885#p425885

Postby ScoobyPaul » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:11 pm

Flat6Estate wrote:Holding the nexus against the facia is easy with a couple of cheapo L brackets and screws.
Can show you when we get around to catching up.

You will most probably need to drill a hole in the drivers side vent to get the micro-usb cable to plug into the port on the nexus

Sweet as Tim. I should be free-ish on Sunday if you are?
MY07 3.0R Spec B Wagon.
Raptor headers
ScoobyPaul

Postby BMCracer » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:59 pm

andy_mac wrote:Might find hat 3A power supply is a tad on the lean side. Had a 3A one in mine which never got above 4-500mA which wasn't enough to get a decent charge from each drive. New, larger one consistantly gets 900mA+

What do you suggest - 5A? Got a link to your new one? TradeMe?
BMCracer

Postby Flat6Estate » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:07 am

I'm running a 2 x 2.4A 5V supply
One port powers the y cable for the nexus exclusively
The other port powers the USB Hub

With CoPilot Maps, BTSSM, and music running, I don't get any overdraw of power.

I also find its best to turn the key to "On" (dash lit up like a xmas tree) and, while the nexus wakes up and does the welcome video, put my seat belt on, and THEN start the car.

If I don't do it in this order, the tablet gets confused and doesn't allow the higher current rates, and will therefore go into drain mode while you're driving along
MY08 Spec B 3.0L Manual Wagon
1998 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat - a bit broken :-o
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Car: 2007 MY08 Liberty Wagon 3RB 6spd
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32189&p=425885#p425885

Return to Audio options