Kenwood KFC XW800F - install tips

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Kenwood KFC XW800F - install tips

Postby tekno » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:05 am

The dust cap had come adrift from the stock sub and the voice coil sounded like it was contacting (scratching) the pole so I installed this Kenwood replacement following the guide http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17131&hilit=xw800f&start=30 - thanks a million Viper!

The only problem I encountered was that the housing was slightly larger than the factory hole. Rather than bust out the dremel and make a huge mess, I used a reaming tool to enlarge the hole.

I placed a drain pan under the hole to catch all the swarf and after about 5 mins of reaming the hole was 2mm larger and the sub dropped in.
I also lay down some dynamat for good measure - a 36mm impact socket wrapped in a microfibre cloth made presssing the dynamat down very easy. No pre-cutting, the sub, centre seatbelt and child restraint bracket holes were cut in place.

I have a spare Dynamat 10425 Xtreme Wedge Pack (457mm x 812mm) if anyone wants it - $30 pickup in Sydney. Otherwise i'll just return it.
Last edited by tekno on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
tekno

Re: Kenwood KFC XW800F - install tips

Postby tekno » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:08 am

BTW this sub sounds excellent - if you're after a cheap upgrade and want to keep the factory amp, I would highly recommend.
tekno

Return to Audio options