MY07 McIntosh system + 12" boxed sub HELP PLEASE

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

MY07 McIntosh system + 12" boxed sub HELP PLEASE

Postby Berty3.0RB » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:11 pm

Hey guys!

Just wanted to see if anyone can help me work out what I need to do in order to get my 12" Kicker sub working with the 14 speaker McIntosh set up found in the MY07 cars.

I have a VERY BASIC understanding of car audio, so please forgive me if I say anything stupid. Also after reading into multiple threads on the McIntosh set up I've realized that I am out of my depths when it comes to installing such a set up, so will be taking it to a shop to get it installed professionally. The only reason I am creating the thread is that I would like to understand what is needed for the process, so that I'm (almost) on the same page when I go to the shop.

What I am hoping to achieve is to mount my Kicker VES124 Sub into my car using a Kicker KX200.2 amp. My question is this - am I able to use a line out converter on the wires leading to the stock sub (from the McIntosh amp), in order to feed signal to the new Kicker amp? Or does this signal have to come from the wires leading out of the HU before it reaches the stock McIntosh amp?

I already have the VES124 sub as I kept it from my last car, but did not pay attention to the amp that was used as the system was mostly in place when I bought the car. My thoughts on using the KX200.2 amp is to run the 2 channels bridged as this will provide 200w rms to the sub, which is rated to 375w peak/125w rms. I do not wish to go down the route of a new HU etc, I just want to run a more powerful amp & sub in conjunction with the stock system.

Any help would be apreciated! TIA
Berty3.0RB

Car: '07 Lib 3.0R Spec. B 6MT Wagon

Re: MY07 McIntosh system + 12" boxed sub HELP PLEASE

Postby HardwareBoB » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:41 am

Berty3.0RB wrote:What I am hoping to achieve is to mount my Kicker VES124 Sub into my car using a Kicker KX200.2 amp. My question is this - am I able to use a line out converter on the wires leading to the stock sub (from the McIntosh amp), in order to feed signal to the new Kicker amp? Or does this signal have to come from the wires leading out of the HU before it reaches the stock McIntosh amp?

I already have the VES124 sub as I kept it from my last car, but did not pay attention to the amp that was used as the system was mostly in place when I bought the car. My thoughts on using the KX200.2 amp is to run the 2 channels bridged as this will provide 200w rms to the sub, which is rated to 375w peak/125w rms. I do not wish to go down the route of a new HU etc, I just want to run a more powerful amp & sub in conjunction with the stock system.

Any help would be apreciated! TIA

Yes, that is absolutely the easiest way to get what you want.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Return to Audio options