RCA splitter on McIntosh amp

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

RCA splitter on McIntosh amp

Postby Stiffy.21 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi all,
I want to replace the sub in my liberty and would like to keep the standard HU but it has the same problem everyone else seems to have which is the standard mcintosh amp. So the option im going with is using an RCA splitter to get the signal to the new amp. I have never used an RCA splitter on a car when there has already been an amp installed so just wondering where the best place to tap into the speaker cables are? Or how the standard amp gets its signal and I can just use it on that.

Cheers
Stiffy.21

Car: 2006 3.0rb liberty

Re: RCA splitter on McIntosh amp

Postby andy_mac » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:47 am

I originally did mine this way before replacing the whole setup. I just removed the wires from the OEM sub in the boot, extended them slightly so that the hi-low level converter could sit under one of the floor covers then ran the RCA's to the amp. Mine was in a wagon but sedans will be just as easy but with things elsewhere if that's what you have.
You say RCA splitter, by that you are thinking of a hi-low level converter correct?
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Postby HardwareBoB » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:50 am

The amp is using balanced inputs - The typical fix is to junk the lot and start with a complete aftermarket system.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby Stiffy.21 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I was going to do that but I couldn't find the fascia kit at a decent price. Also when it came to wiring up the replacement amp for the speakers I couldn't find how to actually do that. Obviously the white connector going to the amp with 11 cables (by memory) in the plug goes to the speakers in the car but not sure which is which
Stiffy.21

Car: 2006 3.0rb liberty

Return to Audio options