Video aux in for Sat Nav....

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Postby Moi » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:50 pm

Digital wrote:cheers for the info.... the reverse camera i have just has a straight rca video lead... but the damn thing only has 90 degrees vision so im looking for a wide angle one.. but all the ones on ebay 'claim' to be wide angle but im not so sure....

and i've tried my mate's lexus ver 14 maps but they didnt work on mine, im guessing mine's not a denso unit?

If you remove the rca plug and strip it down to bear wire then you can use 2 of the 4 pins for the reverse camera input and have the rca input to hook up to a DVD player w/o needing a video switching device.

If you have the 2.5i then I believe the SatNav is different because you get stuff like bluetooth etc... which the older units do not have. I also believe the radio is hooked into the screen as well which is kinda kewl. I think it's to do with the 6 stack Macintosh unit that comes with the GTs. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh and if you get something off eBay then go for the CCD units not the CMOS reverse camera.

Cheers
Current: Subaru Legacy GT-spec.B MY07
Previous: Subaru Impreza WRX MY01

Moi

Car: Subaru Legacy GT-spec.B MY07

Postby Digital » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:05 pm

Moi wrote:If you remove the rca plug and strip it down to bear wire then you can use 2 of the 4 pins for the reverse camera input and have the rca input to hook up to a DVD player w/o needing a video switching device.

If you have the 2.5i then I believe the SatNav is different because you get stuff like bluetooth etc... which the older units do not have. I also believe the radio is hooked into the screen as well which is kinda kewl. I think it's to do with the 6 stack Macintosh unit that comes with the GTs. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh and if you get something off eBay then go for the CCD units not the CMOS reverse camera.

Cheers

yep i have the sat nav with integrated bluetooth and yeah you can choose to control the radio via touchscreen or manually below...

damn i think the one sitting on my bench is a CMOS item...

have u installed one moi?
MY08 2.5i - Satin Pearl White - Sat Nav [TEAM WHITE]
Digital
-stickered-

Car: MY08 2.5i Sedan - TEAM WHITE
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5767&start=0

Postby Moi » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 pm

Digital wrote:have u installed one moi?

No you caught me out there :roll: Been meaning to since I bought the car last year - over a year ago now :oops:

Done all the necessary research (hence the bookmarks to the legacygt site for hints/instructions etc...) and even selected the camera I want but haven't even bought it yet (should've when the aussie dollar was almost parity with US, now I'm just cursing myself - damnit!)

I'll get round to it eventually...especially since I hate not being able to see out back as much as my previous car...always feel I'm going to run someone over! That being said, I hardly drive the car though.

btw since you have the newer SatNav the pics in the legacygt forums will not be the same since your unit will not be the Kenwood/Denso units. I'm afraid you're going to have to do abit more research for your units and their various inputs.

Moi

Postby Digital » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:50 pm

got a link of the camera you got lined up for it??

yeah im planning on chucking some old subs i have in the garage (2 x 12") so when i get around to it, i'll take some pics also.... looks like i have a bit of research to do!
Digital
-stickered-

Postby Moi » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:32 pm

Digital wrote:got a link of the camera you got lined up for it??

Well I've had my eye on this one for awhile...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140136979979

I haven't checked recently but it's definately not the cheapest CCD rear view camera on eBay.

Try these for a start on how to go about selecting a rear view camera that suits your needs (just Google for more reviews and guides)

http://reviews.ebay.com/EVERYTHING-YOU-NEED-TO-KNOW-ABOUT-REAR-VIEW-CAMERAS_W0QQugidZ10000000000708736
http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Choose-Vehicle-Rear-View-Backup-Video-Camera_W0QQugidZ10000000000037397

Let us know which one you end up with.

Cheers
Teck

Moi

Postby gtspec » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:41 am

out of curiousity were would these reverse cameras actually mount?

i know this sounds dumb but i have an imagine in my head of this big lump on your rear bar with a camera sitting there :shock:

anyone got any photos of how this type of mod will turn out? or even a explaination
gtspec

Car: MY07 GT SpecB

Postby CheesyMong » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:46 pm

gtspec wrote:out of curiousity were would these reverse cameras actually mount?

i know this sounds dumb but i have an imagine in my head of this big lump on your rear bar with a camera sitting there :shock:

anyone got any photos of how this type of mod will turn out? or even a explaination

I'm looking at mounting mine between the License Plate lights on the boot lid. Waterproofing is my only concern.
CheesyMong

Car: MY07 Liberty GT-B 6MT

Postby Digital » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:09 pm

Moi wrote:
Digital wrote:got a link of the camera you got lined up for it??

Well I've had my eye on this one for awhile...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140136979979

I haven't checked recently but it's definately not the cheapest CCD rear view camera on eBay.

Try these for a start on how to go about selecting a rear view camera that suits your needs (just Google for more reviews and guides)

http://reviews.ebay.com/EVERYTHING-YOU-NEED-TO-KNOW-ABOUT-REAR-VIEW-CAMERAS_W0QQugidZ10000000000708736
http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Choose-Vehicle-Rear-View-Backup-Video-Camera_W0QQugidZ10000000000037397

Let us know which one you end up with.

Cheers
Teck

wow thats a pricey unit!! i had a look at my bosses lexus is250 camera and i think it looked like that unit...i was thinking at the time, that is a cheap looking thing... but im guessing spec wise its the same as the one in ur link!

i plan on mounting it in the boot handle....
Digital
-stickered-

Postby Moi » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:10 pm

gtspec wrote:out of curiousity were would these reverse cameras actually mount?

It depends on the type of camera you get. For instance, if you get the round ones (they look just like a tube), then you might mount it in the keyhole (if there is one) or more usually the bumper (you'd have to drill a hole obviously but it's only plastic so not too difficult).

For the camera I linked, then you'd mount that in the lip just above the licence plate where the licence plate lights are. No drilling required although to properly secure it you might use screws to secure it to the plastic.

You can also get license plate cameras which is essentially just replacing the licence plate surround.

Cheers
Teck

Moi

Postby Moi » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:21 pm

Digital wrote:wow thats a pricey unit!! i had a look at my bosses lexus is250 camera and i think it looked like that unit...i was thinking at the time, that is a cheap looking thing... but im guessing spec wise its the same as the one in ur link!

Yep it's pricey indeed and much more so now :)

That unit ticks all the requirements for me. It's small (33mm square), doesn't look too "intrusive" (I can't think of a better word offhand), NTSC, CCD, decent size sensor (1/3 inch), 2.9mm lens so it's wide angled, low lux capable and it's waterproof (I even emailed the company asking if it would survive touchless carwash)

Having said that, there are far cheaper cameras available so people should shop around. For instance, the above unit doesn't have IR LEDs which allows 0 lux viewing - people might find that important.

And yes, it's not the looks that are important but the specs :)

Cheers
Teck

Moi

Postby gtspec » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:46 am

thanks for that info.. sounds like youve done your research

be sure to post up some pics if you decide to go ahead with this :)
gtspec

Car: MY07 GT SpecB

Postby atmurray » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:57 pm

I've got the MY08 Ltd Ed with sat nav and just had the dealer install the Audio Aux In for it. Unfortunately it's not working. I checked it out and the break out cable includes many other inputs and outputs including:
Video In/Out
Sub Out (which can be enabled/disabled and turned up/down via the nav)

I've posted some pics and what I've worked out the 24-pin connector on the back of the head unit to be here: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98042

Does anyone else have the Ltd Ed nav with Aux In? If so, any hints on what I have to do to get it working? There are a few unconnected wires on the aux break out cable, do any of these need to be grounded to enable the aux in?

Edit: I've worked it out, all documented here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?t=3505
atmurray

Postby c_dawson » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:56 am

Hi,
I have downloaded the toyota v14 maps torrent and have tried burning it onto a dual layer DVD, when I put it in the Sat Nav system it says to "insert a map disc" ive got a MY08 Liberty 3.0r spec B with the macintosh and in built factory sat nav.
Any ideas?
c_dawson

Postby drewy1 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:30 am

The MY08 Ltd Nav aux in function has pal/ntsc switching in the the h/u menu of the setting of the video aux in, in there you can manually change between pal or ntsc. I have put a reverse camera on my liberty (alpine hcec105) works well but have to manually select aux when wanting too use reverse camera, wired camera power through relay so only turns when in reverse gear.
Hope this helps.

Andrew
drewy1

Postby Doctor » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:07 pm

Hey drewy,

You got any pics of that menu? i got into the setup menu of my o6 Nav last ight but didnt see that particular choice....
Awesome find tho for those of u out there with the 08 unit....

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options