4th gen fibreglass mid pods free to good home

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

4th gen fibreglass mid pods free to good home

Postby NinetySix » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:04 pm

Hi folks

I'll start by apologising if I've broken the rules by not posting this in the for sale section, but seeing I don't want anything for them, and I'd prefer not to spam the forum to get my post count up enough to post in the for sale section... I'm hoping to get away with it, but if I've over stepped the line please delete this post.

I built them a few months ago initially for a set of SB acoustics SB65 2.5" full range drivers, but later I shoehorned in a set of scanspeak 10F/8414G mids.

Internal volume on both is just on half a litre and they are sealed other than a penetration for speaker wires. They are constructed from multiple layers of 198gsm glass cloth wet out with marine grade laminating epoxy, so they are pretty tough. The baffle is 10 or 12mm mdf from memory and is just under 100mm wide. I applied body filler, sanded smooth, few coats of spray putty, sanded some more then impatiently gave them a few coats of cheap matt black paint. Some glass fibre is still visible, but I just couldn't be bothered finishing them any nicer :oops:

The scan 10F's have an OD of 97mm and they only just fit, realistically they would be better suited to a 2.5" or 3" mid rather than a 3.5". The new owner will likely need to glue in a new baffle adaptor to suit their application.

I built them to sit on top of the A pillars rather than built into them, as I knew I might well pull them out and did not want to trash the pillars.

For some reason the left driver sits a bit higher than the right, can't remember why... They are aimed directly on axis to the drivers head, and I'm just under 6 foot tall.

I only ever ran them tweeterless with a 400Hz LR4 high pass and they worked very well in that range. With a little poly stuffing they should handle any 3" drivers just fine.

Pics available here https://goo.gl/photos/J5Jf2BbbKeKqgwPK6 showing construction, install and current form.

I'm in Melbourne's South East near Dandenong, ideally somebody picks them up but I'm happy to post if the cost of shipping is covered.
NinetySix

Car: 04 EDM Legacy 3.0R flagon

Return to Audio options