Macincrap -> Disappointed. :( (MY07 GT SpecB)

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Macincrap -> Disappointed. :( (MY07 GT SpecB)

Postby cpitts » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:48 pm

Well guys, as you've probably guessed from the title, I'm pretty disappointed with the Macintosh unit provided in the MY07 Lib GT Spec B.

Mine's got the speaker in the front dash, 4 in each front door, a single in each rear door and the (tiny) sub in the parcel shelf.

I've come from a WRX with a stereo refit that I did myself that included:
- Alpine 9885R CD HU
- Alpine V12 4ch amp
- Alpine DD Drive 6.5" splits (front doors)
- Pioneer TSE 6" 3 way coaxs (rear doors)
- Boston Pro 10.5LF Sub
- Fully sound deadened, earthing, cabling, etc, etc

Needless to say, it sounded 'OK'. ;)

SO, running my test CD's through the Macintosh left me quite disappointed. While it appears to have reasonable frequency provision (due to the large number of crap cones), it's pretty lifeless, no soundstage, depth, clarity or true bass and low frequencies.

HENCE,
I'm now looking at how I can fix these problems. The easy gets are the things like deadening and upgraded cones but before that I really need to know what I can do in the amp stage. The current amp has some big power holes (typical of cheap amps) and I'd like to upgrade it to something decent, this will also help me support much better speaker setup.

My problem is the HU is SO integrated that I'll have to stay with it ( bleh ) so I want to get the most out of it I can.

This thread http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?t=2127 is very good, but doesn't talk about how to break out the HU cable to the amp so I can plug it into RCA inputs on a standard amp.

What have people been able to achieve and how can I break into the factory cable to make it into something usable?

All the stereo layout plans in the thread above show basic 5 channel (4 doors and a sub) but don't mention this weird front centre speaker, where's that fit into things?

Any help GREATLY appreciated at this early stage.
cpitts

Postby chriskan » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:24 pm

Craig, there was another post here about someone using an Audiocontrol line level converter to upgrade to an aftermarket amp. The Mac head unit also has a balanced line outs, and there are a few amps on the market that accept a balanced line in, so that might be an option. I started looking at it, but got busy with other things and shelved it.

I think there's 3 drivers in the front doors? Worth upgrading to a decent 2 channel split though. The Lib's not a huge car, so just a well tuned basic setup will be fine I reckon!

Someone else mentioned using a JL W3(I think) Sub in a slot ported box with the stock amp. However, depending on the music you listen to, I feel you might need a more powerful amp with a bit more headroom (and driver control) for the sub.
MY07 GT-B T/B STi 6MT OBP
| PHAT Performance Quad Mufflers | HKS Panel Filter & removed resi + CAI pipe |
chriskan

Car: MY07 GT-B t/b STI OBP 6MT - #244/300

Postby cpitts » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:45 pm

Cheers Chris,

Don't want line level converts (even top of the line Alpine ones), been there, done that 10 years ago with trash results. Hence the comment about high voltage RCA or better.

Haven't pulled the skin off the front doors yet but there's certainly 4 driver covers in my MY07. Might only be 3 drivers in there though, haven't looked yet and won't get a chance for a couple of days. :(

I've seen some very nice sets of 3-ways in the market and if I can snaffle some, I may as well (why not!). I'm about SQ not SPL and a 3-way setup would give me back some mid-range I'm after. My current very nice splits will go into the back doors for the kids listening pleasure. :lol: There's a little grille plate next to the door handle that can be converted to a speaker cover for a tweeter. :wink:
cpitts

Postby gtspec » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:39 am

im in the same boat as you but in the process of implementing an upgrade.. will let you know the full details once completed and tested

but basically im using an AudioControl LC6 line convertor - this allows me to leave all the stock gear in the car and getting the best possible sound from the stock HU.. i have seen this exact line convertor used in a number of big systems at Auto Salon and know a couple of people in the car audio industry who swear by them if you plan on sticking with the stock HU.

So far i have run a 12inch Alpine TypeR sub, from the stock AMP, through the LC6 then onto my aftermarker Alpine amp with great results.. it performs exactly how i used this sub in my previous car with a top of the line Alpine HU..

Next Steps: i just bought 2 pairs of JL C5-650 splits (very very pricey) with a JL amp to suit (this one sent me broke) and plan on installing in the next couple of days.. cant wait for the results..

But so far in my opinion i would go for the LC6 if you keen on leaving the stock HU
gtspec

Car: MY07 GT SpecB

Re: Macincrap -> Disappointed. :( (MY07 GT SpecB)

Postby Mo_GT » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:55 pm

cpitts wrote:
My problem is the HU is SO integrated that I'll have to stay with it ( bleh ) so I want to get the most out of it I can.

You can replace the Hu with relative ease - if you can make that an option then have a look at here:

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

If you want to stay with the std Hu then you don't have many options. The HU will be your weakest link - crap in = crap out.

LOC's have come a long way in 10 years and thats your only half decent option with the std HU.

You can get someone to solder rca pre outs to the std HU but you will need a good quality line driver as the rca pre volt will be way too little...

Hope this helps :)
Never Argue With An Idiot... They'll Drag You Down To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience.
Mo_GT

Car: GT Spec B

Postby cpitts » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:00 am

Mo_GT wrote:
cpitts wrote:

You can replace the Hu with relative ease

Ye Mo, saw your thread and your Lib install is on par with my old WRX install (deadening and all :lol: )

The only thing (and no offence to your install, it's very clean) the replacement plate around the HU and AC looks decidedly ordinary. :( If there was a cut smoked glass/polished whatever solution that had a single or double din gap, then I'd go straight for the replacement solution ( if I could arrange for the sat-nav integration and steering wheel integration as well ) .

You did mention a Subaru Japan faceplate for ~$250, what is that?

Mo_GT wrote:If you want to stay with the std Hu then you don't have many options. The HU will be your weakest link - crap in = crap out.

So I gather the background hiss is nothing to do with amps then and is pure HU issues (like soundstage, depth, frequency coverage and lack of general life) ?
cpitts

Postby Mo_GT » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:37 pm

cpitts wrote:
You did mention a Subaru Japan faceplate for ~$250, what is that?

Was that on the soundomain page? That might have been for my old gt (MY05). The MY05 have the a/c controls and the HU on seperate bits and you can just swap out the HU for a face plate that has a 2 din slot.

So I gather the background hiss is nothing to do with amps then and is pure HU issues (like soundstage, depth, frequency coverage and lack of general life) ?

In the std set up its going to be a bit of both but mostly the the HU. For example, when you turn the volume up, the HU starts to cut the lower frequencies.

Sound stage and depth - when you have 13 speakers and no real 5.1 processing you are not going to have a defined sound stage... Plus speaker placement is not ideal in the std set up.

Freq coverage - yeah, you can keep the std HU and improve this with better speakers and pricessing.
Never Argue With An Idiot... They'll Drag You Down To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience.
Mo_GT

Car: GT Spec B

Return to Audio options