HVAC Double DIN (JDM) import clarifications

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

HVAC Double DIN (JDM) import clarifications

Postby Whitey » Tue May 31, 2016 10:59 am

Hey all,

First of all, nice forums! I didn't realise there was a Liberty club in Australia until I started googling about how to put in my head unit. Can't wait to come on a cruise!

I've just gotten a MY08 Liberty and realised that my head unit install would cost me $400 more than I expected!

I've been doing some research, but this isn't my primary skillset, so apologies if some of my below questions have been answered before(I'm sure they are, but I want to check before laying out the cash).

My interior is the stock system with single zone CC and the factory satnav equipped.

My understanding is I need the following parts:
A-V Panel Set D-F Single
Hazard Switch

Here's where I start to get confused. I've read the big sticky post on the Legacy GT forums, and had a look at SVXdcs site. I don't think I need an i88 harness.

Unfortunately the "parts needed" page doesn't exist yet for the Aussie/JD model, however my understanding is the additional connections from the i88 harness provided by SVXdc aren't required on my one, as it's not North American manufactured. Is this correct?

I believe however his forward harness is required for dimmer settings, however I can source an adapter locally (and not have to ship one from the US) which will be missing dimmer wires. I'm assuming my head unit (Sony MEX-N5150BT) won't support dimming - any way to know that though?

Assuming it doesn't support dimming, I can just pick up one locally?

I don't have SWC either, I should mention.

My understanding is that I'll only need the two parts above from Japan Parts - is this correct? Also has anyone shipped from avoJDM/JapanParts before? If so, what's better/quicker for shipping? Price is pretty similar.

Thanks for your help!
Whitey

Car: MY08 Liberty 2.5i

Re: HVAC Double DIN (JDM) import clarifications

Postby SVXdc » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:49 pm

You can go with any 14-pin harness that you find locally (Aerpro, etc.). You do not need the illumination(-) lead. The illumination(+) signal is what aftermarket HUs want for the dimming function to work.

For more details, see my post here (on UK Legacy forums).
1996 SVX L AWD <<>> Useful Subaru wiring info
SVXdc

Car: 1996 SVX L AWD

Return to Audio options