Replacing front door speaker

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Replacing front door speaker

Postby W4GNIT » Fri May 20, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi guys,

My MY06 SpecB has the 12+sub speaker system with McIntosh 6 stacker. The left front speaker isn't handling bass any more, I think I may have ripped the cone.

How easy is it to get the door assembly open and remove/swap the speakers? What wattage are the stock speakers? Good replacement options?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
Steve
W4GNIT

Car: MY06 Liberty 3.0R SpecB Wagon - Man

Re: Replacing front door speaker

Postby x4net » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi, I am having the same issue, which speaker did you go for?
x4net

Car: Legacy 05 Spec B

Postby Soon2bspecb » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:32 pm

Hi,

I'm also having this "blown speaker" problem. What replacement speaker have you both used.
I will look through this forum for the instructions to remove the door trim .... unless you can advise?

Lindsay
Soon2bspecb

Postby teK-- » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:10 am

Easy to remove door cars their are several guides online.

I went with Alpine Type R. Previously had Hertz hsk165 also very happy with them.
Last edited by teK-- on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Soon2bspecb » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:01 am

Thanks teK
I'm having terrible rouble pulling the door pull handle off.
Do you have any good advice for this? All I've found online is to just pull the rubber grab handle at right angles to the door and there are 2 clips holding it. Ive got the top little lock piece out easy.

Do both those speakers fit without mods? Which one would recommend as first choice.

Lindsay
Soon2bspecb

Postby teK-- » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:03 pm

you just have to grip it tightly with your hands and pull outwards from the door but slightly towards the rear of the car and downwards. Wear some gloves there can be some sharp edges that cut your hand.

Almost every aftermarket speaker you will need to make your own baffle adapters. Use a material like polyethelene sheeting about 5-7mm thick as it is waterproof. Very easy to cut using a jigsaw. If you use MDF it will get wet and swell up into a big mess.

The tweeters fitted into the stock positions quite easily I think I used some hotglue to fix them in place.

Recommend upgrading the speaker cables that run through the door as well and just tuck the crossovers up the top of the footwell.

Get the Hertz if you can afford they are very efficient upwards of 93db/1W from memory. But if you cannot then get the Alpines.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Soon2bspecb » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:45 pm

Thanks teK for all the info

I'll give that a go (The handle)

Lindsay
Soon2bspecb

Postby steveP » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:26 am

There are a few YouTube guides showing how to remove the door trim. It helped me find the hidden clips.

Then I just removed all 4 speakers and replaced the the tweeter and 6" with a 2-speaker splits configuration.
steveP

Car: MY08 Liberty B Spec

Postby Soon2bspecb » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Thanks Steve

Yes, I've found the Youtube guides .... easier to get that door handle off onces it's already been off once :shock:

Yes, I will also remove and replace speakers as you did !

Lindsay
Soon2bspecb

Postby steveP » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:01 am

Good luck. Mine looked like this after I decided to rewire all speakers, remove the factory amp, put in 2 new amps, 2 sets of splits, a sub, and then figured out I needed a line driver to boost the signal from the 20-pin connector.

steveP

Car: MY08 Liberty B Spec

Return to Audio options