MY08 Complete Mcintosh Removal

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

MY08 Complete Mcintosh Removal

Postby andyjs2 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:45 pm

okay, so i know this topic has been covered over and over but i cant find anything specific to what i need, just people replacing bits and pieces of the system

Anyway, the gear ive selected (feel free to make suggestions as ive not bought anything yet and still open to changing things up)

JDM fascia kit (from japanparts, whatever they call them)
Clarion VX603AU
JL C3 Splits front
JL C2 coax rear
JL XD7005 amp
(sub has yet to be decided but ill be moving away from the stock location with a nice box thats easy to remove in case i need to carry stuff... it is a wagon after all)
sneaky flush mount reverse camera
ill also be sound deadening all the doors including the tailgate (inner and outer skin)

I will be retaining the factory nav, simply because its in the perfect position, and despite its flaws, it gets me where i need to go and it saves having wires everywhere and hanging shit off the windscreen.
now in saying that, i have no idea HOW i can go about rewiring the nav audio so i can still get spoken directions (and also have the stereo muted or dimmed... if possible id like it to be close to what it does now, music dims, nav speaks, music comes back, but if i have to ill accept totally muted)
now, the most simple thing i can think of, is find the audio wires from the nav and connect them directly to the center speaker, then connect the mute wire to the headdeck... would this work or am i mad?

im sure there is somebody out there that has achieved this before, any and all help is appreciated

all in all though, regardless of how the gps is worked... this stereo is going to kick ass, i cant believe ive put up with the factory mcintosh stereo for so long
andyjs2

Car: MY09 GT Spec.B

Re: MY08 Complete Mcintosh Removal

Postby metalfx » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:50 pm

I've got a Focal 10" sub in a box for sale. I use to use in my Forester and it is awesome.
Link here:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31327

Shameless FS plug over.
metalfx

Car: 09 Liberty GT Spec.B Wagon

Postby andyjs2 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:56 pm

Secured a cheapo sub the other day man, haha thanks anyway ;)
andyjs2

Postby SIMO888 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:47 am

if your going to be doing this and your trying to achieve amazing sound other things to upgrade is the grounding system which will increase sound by 30% according to FHRX studios who produce some amazing car audio systems and are leads in car audio Australia. The other thing to consider is sound proofing the car to increase sound and quality end of the day if you spend cheap you get cheap its that simple really
SIMO888

Car: iberty tuned by sti MY07

Postby andyjs2 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:54 am

Wow! 30%
That's pretty impressive
I had actually planned on doing a diy grounding kit a while ago, but turfed it for having not really a lot of purpose
Didn't even think of doing it in relation to the stereo, thanks heaps dude, I'll add this to the list

I will be sound deadening the inner and outer door skins and probably the tailgate, but that's about it, will give the speakers a good foundation and stop alot of wind noise I guess
andyjs2

Return to Audio options