Mcintosh amplifier replacement

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Mcintosh amplifier replacement

Postby regencydon » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:20 pm

Hi

Unfortunately, i spilled a can of coke on my seats and the mcintosh amplifier model - EF12591 decided to stop working. I was trying to get a second hand one but seems to be too expensive for a second hand one. So i am researching about replacing it with an after market amplifer. Right now i am looking for a 5 channel amplifer as the centre speaker is already dead and i am not too concerned about that one.I dont want to change the stock HU and i love the stock look of the car and has aloready installed USB module for playing songs from my usb stick and AUx. So a 5 channel which can do my FL, FR, RL, RR and the sub will be fine. i looked into the connections and was able to find all the wires and the signals which they carry from the following post. Please scroll down all the way to the bottom where the mcintosh system wiring details are given.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... stcount=12

Also i found this decent 5 channel amplifer from clarion with dimensions perfect to fit in the same slot as the mcintosh ones. The amp has both low level and high level inputs.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_933 ... C2510.html

so my questions as re follows.

Can i connect the 20pin DIn wire coming from the HU by cutting and splicing the wires and joining them with the ones going into the clarion amp? Do i have to use the high level input or the low level input of the Amplifer input? Just cos the amp already has a high level input, do i still have to use a Line level converter? Is there any other 6 channel amplifers that u recommend to do all the 14 speakers? Also the amplifier does 50W RMS at 4Ohms. Will that be too much for the speakers to handle?

I am also bit confused that the mcintosh amplifier has only one pair of out put for FL and FR speakers. So is there a X over in between the amp and the front door speakers to power all the 5 speakers on each door?

I am inviting all the members to provide as much information as you can as this post will be very helpful to the people who wants to keep the stock HU and speakers but just want to change the amplifer.

Your help is really appreciated
regencydon

Car: Subaru Liberty My 07 3.0R Spec B 6Sp

Re: Mcintosh amplifier replacement

Postby regencydon » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:24 am

I waited for more than 2 weeks but nobody replied anything. So I thought of taking the first step. I tapped into the signal wire in the multi core wire and connected an amp and found that it runs the speakers perfectly and a cleaner output. So cut the wire today and in the following days I will be connecting the amp. I will keep u guys updated.
regencydon

Postby jiggabite » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:05 pm

Which amp did you go with? Photos and a how to would be great to see.
jiggabite

Car: MY07 Liberty GTB Sedan Pearl White

Postby regencydon » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:25 pm

The amp is Pioneer GM-D8604 4 channel which is a champion series amp rated at 100watts rms at 4 ohms which is plenty for the speakers. cost me $230 delivered. This will be running the speakers in the doors and a 2 channel amp will be running the subwoofer and the center speaker, which will be mounted in the boot. This 4 channel amp is in perfect size that it will fit in the slot where the Mcintosh amp was sitting. I will be installing the amp on Sunday, So will upload the pictures as well as the wire color codes of the Din cable which comes from the mcintosh HU

As of now, i ran the front door speakers as a trial by tapping into the din cable and all the speakers worked fine. So i need to do a lot of splicing, connecting, soldering and heat shrink to complete the wiring. Hopefully should be able to complete on Sunday. Will upload the pics as soon as i finish.
regencydon

Postby Flat6Estate » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:14 am

So this amp will run each of the door speakers and the sub?
If I ever need a replacement this sounds like a start, but seeing as I have an my08, I assume this will render the centre speaker on the dash useless.
I wonder if there is a suitable replacement that can cope with the centre as well.
MY08 Spec B 3.0L Manual Wagon
1998 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat - a bit broken :-o
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Car: 2007 MY08 Liberty Wagon 3RB 6spd
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32189&p=425885#p425885

Postby jiggabite » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:32 pm

I believe the centre speaker can be shared with the fronts with wiring as FL+ and FR-, or vice versa.
jiggabite

Car: MY07 Liberty GTB Sedan Pearl White

Postby regencydon » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:43 pm

Hi all,

really sorry for the late post. I was quite busy with other things to get this posted.

So yes guys, i changed the Mcintosh amplifier with a pioneer but still using the Mcintosh HU and speakers. So below are the pictures of the installed amp and the wiring diagram for the din cable which comes from the HU. If u have any doubts, let me know and i can help u. If any of u guys would like to hear the output, i live in Adelaide and u r more than happy to drop in to chk the quality.

Now i am using a Pioneer 4channel under passenger side seat which runs the door speakers. If u r going to do the same, make sure u r going to use the exact same amp as most of the other amps i have seen wont fit into the existing slot and will hit the motors of the seats. I am also using another 4 channel amp in the boot which runs a seperate boxed sub in the boot and the centre speaker dash speaker.

Good luck guys, if u have any doubts, i am more than happy to help u
Attachments
20160127_201057.jpg
Amp fully wired
20160127_201057.jpg (188.26 KiB) Viewed 20688 times
20160216_132807.jpg
Din cable wiring diagram
20160216_132807.jpg (98.49 KiB) Viewed 20688 times
regencydon

Postby davosgt » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:48 am

Hey, good work, I hope to do this one day too.
davosgt

Car: 2004 Liberty GT Premium Pack

Postby tyler98 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi, I was wondering how you converted those really small wires from the head unit into RCA so they could go into the amp input. Please reply asap as I am too deep into this to back out now. PLEASE HELP
tyler98

Car: 2005 Liberty 3.R-B spec

Postby jarrenowen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:10 pm

tyler98 wrote:Hi, I was wondering how you converted those really small wires from the head unit into RCA so they could go into the amp input. Please reply asap as I am too deep into this to back out now. PLEASE HELP

line out converter.
jarrenowen

Car: 2007 Liberty Gt Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31061

Postby shav » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:24 pm

This is great work Don. Ive always wanted to do this upgrade. Although I wanted to go with a 5ch amp so it can run the amp rather than have a separate one.

What would you advise? I am also in Adelaide so I'd be keen to hear what yours sounds like to compare.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby rltay7 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:19 am

Hi, did you have trouble with using the existing power wires for your 4ch amp? Are they thick enough gauge?
rltay7

Car: 2005 3.0R B Spec

Re: Mcintosh amplifier specs

Postby Freeflyjames007 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:34 pm

looking for the spec of the amplifier in my spec b 2007 liberty
Freeflyjames007

Car: Spec b liberty my07

Re: Mcintosh Spec B MY07 speaker replacment

Postby Freeflyjames007 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:15 am

I need to replace the speaker in the my Spec B liberty 2007 . Can i please get some advice on the correct speaker that would be suitable to the equivalent from the factory , thanks
Freeflyjames007

Car: Spec b liberty my07

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:59 am

Which speaker?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Next

Return to Audio options