MY05 Audio Options Help!!

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

MY05 Audio Options Help!!

Postby skilgannon » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:38 am

Hey Guys,

Just purchased a Gen4 MY05 Subaru Liberty and looking at adding some bluetooth/usb/aux functionality. I have read through the mega thread but some of my questions are not there answered. There are recommendations but they seem a bit outdated so starting a new topic, hopefully thats ok.

FYI I have a manual A/C in my car.

I am looking at 2 options:
1. Adding something like a GROM USB3 or
2. Changing the Face Kit to a Metra Online face kit and adding a custom stereo with bluetooth/usb to it.
3. Add a AUX input

Questions for option 1 (GROM):
- If I add a GROM panel, i can just buy the device and connect the black connector at the back right? - so my total cost will be around ~150 if I do it myself.

Questions for option 2 (FACE KIT):
- I am looking at getting the Metra Online 99-8901 Kit. But looks like all the kits are made for US cars. How easy/hard is it to move the hazard light to the right hand side?
http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-8901
- If I can't move the hazard light, are there any other face kits that I can use? I have searched everywhere but can't find any other option :(
- If I get the Metra Online Kit, what else do I need? I think I need the wire Metra 70-8901 but looks like I will need another wire to then connect this to my new stereo system?

Question for option 3( AUX):
- Is this cheap, do I just grab a wire that connects directly to the inside of my face kit somewhere and then run the wire out to connect to my mobile?

Am I missing anything? I will be trying to do this myself to learn more about the car.

Thanks a lot.
Suman
skilgannon

Car: Subaru Liberty MY05 Sedan Gen4

Re: MY05 Audio Options Help!!

Postby jp928 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:29 pm

Option 2 is what I have done twice - once on an 04 Outback, ordinary HU, no amp, and an 08 gtb with mcintoss and amp. You need the correct facia for your ac control from AVOturbo - I think the one for single zone AC? Then either a HU of 1 (with a pocket to fill the other din space)or 2 din size - probably A$500 landed. If no amp now, get an Aerpro adapter for Suby wiring to go to your speakers. Plenty of HU will give you all the inputs and outputs you want.

jp 08 gtb 6mt wagon
jp928

Car: 08 gtb 6mt wagon

Postby mihai » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:16 pm

No fascia kit is available at the moment for the manual AC with knobs.

The US version one angles to the drivers position which is LHD over in the states, so it will not sit right in our car.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby jezzm » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:17 am

When I first got my car I put a grom aux unit whilst i saved for a full system. All you you do is unplug the head unit and plug the grom unit in, and then plug what was in the head unit into the grom plug. It's very simple.
The audio quality was fine however it only lasted 3 months before the cable had a loose connection near the aux jack. I was going to have to buy a whole new unit as i couldn't just unplug the aux part, it was wired into the unit unfortunately. I'm not sure if the USB3 is the same or not.
If you can unplug cables from the grom unit itself, I would say go for it.

As for the facia kits, it depends on what car you have as in some models the head unit and air con is integrated into one panel, whilst other models have seperate panels. For example, I own an 05 3.0r Spec B and my panels where seperate.
This is the kit I used: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-SUBA ... 3f599ffaf1
Just note that this fascia didn't come with an antenna or cage.

If your car has one panel, you can use this: https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/14777
As for single DIN panels, I haven't seen one but they probably exist somewhere. You can try ebay but just be careful as a lot of cheap stuff won't fit and align properly.

Lastly, for just adding an aux, you should be able to find out if if your head unit in your car has an aux jack in the back somewhere. If it does, you can buy any aux cord and plug it in. If it doesn't, you can't add one. I'm pretty sure that if your head unit doesn't have an aux button or setting, you can't add one.
jezzm

Car: '04 3.0R Spec-B

Postby B-SpecOwner98 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:18 pm

I have a 2005 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B

I have been looking for quite some time with the options available to this specific vehicle for audio and the easiest seems to be.
Here are a set of instructions that i plan to perform when I have the money to

1. Buy a new head unit
2. Buy a new amp to replace the stock Mcintosh on under the seat. (A 5 channel would be perfect much for a cheaper option a 2 channel would work for speakers + sub)
3. Buy one of the fascia kits off eBay mentioned above as the climate control and the original HU are separate units so the Climate controls do not need replacing.
3. Buy a steering wheal control interface + antenna adaptor for the new head unit.
4. Buy a 14 pin Subaru wiring harness.
5. Connect up wiring harness to that of the new Head units. (I have created a wiring diagram for what goes where from the factoring wiring diagrams.
6. Connect up SWC and antenna etc to new HU
7. Remove old Amp under passenger seat disconnection the 18 pin DIN cable (black round one) and the R110 connector from the amp to the speakers.
8. Remove all the pins/ cables from the R110 connector ready for the wires to be used in the new Amp.
9. Install wires into the new amp.
10. Run pre-amp lines from the head unit to the amp.
11. Test the system!
12. If everything works fine then the new fascia should be installed

Link to Wiring Diagram: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Gk-DiVc_9YQ3liZWJBV0lfOUU/view?usp=sharing
B-SpecOwner98

Car: Subaru Liberty Gen4 3.0R-B Wagon

Postby Tewaka » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:58 pm

I have an 05 Liberty Wagon, It has the well it had the Mcintosh 13 speaker system in it, but as of Today I now have....

I replaced the Mcintosh Headunit, Installed a New Amp, Added Bluetooth, Put in a SWI PAC for steering wheel controls...( I didnt replace this stuff, I got the guys at SSV Car Audio to do it)

I only had to buy a new Facsia plate ( $156), as the HVAC is seperate.

Tewaka

Car: Liberty MY06 Wagon

Return to Audio options