MY05 Headunit upgrade

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

MY05 Headunit upgrade

Postby Stacks » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:56 am

Hi guys,

I've been wanting to upgrade the headunit in my 05GT, but i've been told that i'll have to be changing out the amplifier at the same time because of how the system is designed. How accurate is that? The amplifier i've been recommended is a Audison 8ch amplifier which comes in at around $900ish.

I wanted to fit an alpine HU to run a rear cam and music from my ipod.

Any advice or recommendations?
Stacks

Car: Liberty GT (MY05)

Re: MY05 Headunit upgrade

Postby mihai » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:47 am

There are are a few options.

Easiest is to replace the amplifier also, however you do not require an 8 channel. Only 5 channel.

You can also not install an amp, however it will require rewiring the speakers to the headunit and you will lose the subwoofer channel.

I've done a few installs for members on here so if you want any further info or help, let me know!
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby catbert6 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:17 pm

I recently installed an Alpine iLX-007E (Apple Carplay) with an Alpine four channel amp (PDR-F50 - around $500) - I am using the amp to drive front speakers (a set of Hertz HSK 163 three ways in stock locations) and, in bridge mode, a sub (currently the stock one but have a Hertz ES 250.0 to install). I am driving rear door speakers (Hertz ECX 130.5) directly off of the head unit. Also have a reversing camera yet to be installed.

I ran the existing speakers off of the new head unit and amp for a few weeks - was actually pretty happy with it - happier with the new speakers of course :D

I think it may be possible to wire a new head unit to the old amp, but it would require a bit of wire work - see http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... stcount=12 for a map of the pin out.
Bob
Canberra
2018 Outback 3.6R
2006 Impreza 2.0R
catbert6

Car: 2004 Liberty GT

Postby Stacks » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:16 pm

Thansk for the diagrams, will come in handy. This is the first install i'm looking at in about 5 years so i'm a bit shady on specifics.

you do not require an 8 channel. Only 5 channel.

Won't having a single channel to each door land me in a bit of trouble later on though, if i want to put some additional power through the speakers will this not likely damage the tweeters? If the additional channels are going to be more "future-mod-proof" the extra expense might be worth it (read: new speakers). If not, why would the shop suggest the 8ch over the 5 when the price really isn't that different?

I am driving rear door speakers (Hertz ECX 130.5) directly off of the head unit

If you drive off the headunit, doesn't that make it tricky to adjust your sound levels to even them out through the car? I was of the understanding that these amps rely on all your speakers being connected to the one unit which you can then monitor the speakers to optimise power/timing to suit the drivers position? Or is this just marketing wank that have no appreciable effect in the real world?
Stacks

Postby mihai » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:31 pm

Stacks wrote:Won't having a single channel to each door land me in a bit of trouble later on though

No. Unless you are planning on going active setup you won't require multiple channels to each door. A single channel will be sufficient as that single channel will go to a passive crossover which will split it into 2/3 channels to the speakers individual frequency response characteristics.

Stacks wrote:if i want to put some additional power through the speakers will this not likely damage the tweeters

As long as clean power is applied, everything should be fine.

Stacks wrote:If the additional channels are going to be more "future-mod-proof" the extra expense might be worth it (read: new speakers). If not, why would the shop suggest the 8ch over the 5 when the price really isn't that different?

The additional channels will not benefit you in any way unless you decide to go active. And even if you choose to go active, you'll require a audiphile quality HU (Pioneer P99RS) or processor (Alpine PXA-H800, Audison BitOne, BitTen etc) which will allow you to set the crossover points high enough and precise enough to obtain the best results from the speakers.

Stacks wrote:If you drive off the headunit, doesn't that make it tricky to adjust your sound levels to even them out through the car? I was of the understanding that these amps rely on all your speakers being connected to the one unit which you can then monitor the speakers to optimise power/timing to suit the drivers position? Or is this just marketing wank that have no appreciable effect in the real world?

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say here?
The HU or processor will control timing etc. Regardless of where the signal is output. The amp doesn't add any form of processing or time delay to a signal, it simply takes what it receives and amplifies it (can also apply a high/low pass filter).

Also, I wouldn't even worry about rear speakers. As the driver, the sound predominantly comes from the front. Rear speakers are mainly for the passengers, by turning them up, you drag the sound stage towards the rear of the car and it affects the overall sound experience for the driver.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby Stacks » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:07 pm

Top advice guys, thanks a lot. I spoke with the shop today and the 5ch is the same price as the 8ch and has the same power, just distributed to fewer channels. First stage of the install is looking like it's going to be a Audison AP5.9 amp with Alpine IVE-W554abd head unit, with new wires running to all speakers.

I'm going to have a play with the HU tomorrow to make sure its what i'm after (must have full speed ipod). I've got a factory sat nav which i prefer because it's up higher on the dash, but also means i don't need my HU to have nav as well.
Stacks

Postby Sullo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:03 am

This might sound like I'm a litttle behind the times here but can anyone confirm for me, that an Alpine IVE-W554abt head unit will fit a 2010 Liberty Wagon?
Sullo

Car: Liberty Wagon 2010

Postby jp928 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:19 pm

i upgraded an 04 model with a std hu (no amp) in 05, and more recently an 08 (with amp) to JVC hu (dv6xxx). In both cases I spoke to SVXDC (dave) in legacygt.com who knows all there is to know in this area. He built me a cable to go from a std HU (most makers use the same colour wire maps these days) to the Mcintoss speaker plug from the amp (under the pax seat). This means you get all the crossovers etc to feed all 13 speakers, except I do not feed the sub woofer. I have found the JVC HU gives MUCH better sound and std settings than the Mac, and it has loudness and an equalizer available as well. Some good HU have both speaker outs and line outs, so you could use the original amp if you have line outs - the JVC does this.

Your mention of timing to speakers sounds like the stuff Dolby do for theatres where they measure the acoustics of the room, and program the system to send the multiple sound tracks to the available speakers to achieve the desired sound effects as best as possible.....doubt you can do that on such an imperfect space as a car, at least economically.

jp 08 gtb 6mt wagon
jp928

Car: 08 gtb 6mt wagon

Return to Audio options