Update Kenwood Nav SOFTWARE (not maps)?

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Update Kenwood Nav SOFTWARE (not maps)?

Postby lcn » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:59 pm

4GEN Liberty MY06 with Kenwood navigation.
I've been keeping the maps up to date over the years (torrents), but these are maps only, and I have to use the original 2006 DVD (V12) to boot / load the operating software, then swap to the current map DVD.
Does anyone know where there's a more recent version of the head unit software - or ideally, a combined software + map torrent?
Or a method to strip / combine software and maps to a single disk?
Cheers
lcn

Car: MY06 Liberty 3.0R Spec.B Wagon

Re: Update Kenwood Nav SOFTWARE (not maps)?

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:01 pm

As far as I have seen, all Gen4s use the same menus etc. So even my original Gen4 Disc (v14) is no different to older ones, apart from the newer Maps.

An update for Keenwood's internal Firmware hasn't come up anywhere afaik. That would be nice, but I guess they would only release an update to fix issues, and there aren't really any. Newer features or less grainy maps came with newer & larger displays like the Gen5's, so no real reason for them to spend time to upgrade the Gen4 FW, although that would be awesome if they did. We're probably limited by the screen's physical resolution in the end. I haven't seen Gen6 screens, but they're probably an improvement in size & resolution again over then Gen5. But I doubt FW is interchangeable between any of them.

If someone were to pay the ~$300 for a genuine Subaru Map disc, they'd definitely have the combined map and software 8). I assume Subaru still sell current discs for Gen4s, but maybe Whereis discs are cheaper. So for whatever reason, the torrents all seem to be non Subaru map update discs.
I'd gladly go for a group buy for a new genuine Subaru Disc, if we had eg 10 people :).

Combining the software and maps should be possible in theory. But the discs do not just contain a simple 'Map' and 'Software' folder. I'd pay someone who is a software programmer for eg Subaru to tell us what files the Nav looks for for the software, and which ones are the maps. That would allow us to always make combined discs that work even after a battery reset. But I bet no one like that is out there for hire. BBB has asked this question before on here, and there was unfortunately never even a hint of info for what's required to do that.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby SIMO888 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:55 pm

After dealing with Subaru Australia and Japan directly when I had issues afew months ago when I 1st bought my liberty they where trying to sort it out to get my system to work. Subaru Australia did say they do not and will not sell disks directly to customers anymore which sucks but they did say in 2016 they where going to release something for the Gen 4 now lets just see how true that is or if this is just bs, feature more they said that the disk would have to be purchased via Whereis.... I guess only time will tell
SIMO888

Car: iberty tuned by sti MY07

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:06 am

SIMO888 wrote:After dealing with Subaru Australia and Japan directly when I had issues afew months ago when I 1st bought my liberty they where trying to sort it out to get my system to work. Subaru Australia did say they do not and will not sell disks directly to customers anymore which sucks but they did say in 2016 they where going to release something for the Gen 4 now lets just see how true that is or if this is just bs, feature more they said that the disk would have to be purchased via Whereis.... I guess only time will tell

Ah, ok interesting.
Cool! Let us know if anything ever comes of the 2016 features. I guess we'll find out. And since it's through Whereis after all, we'll know to order from there.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:10 am

It is possible to modify nav software and map data, but it's much easier to experiment with a flash memory based system, as quite a lot of trial and error is involved, and burning the required discs would get somewhat costly.

This is something I've had a crack at: slipstreaming the latest map data onto the V12 software data.
On some hdd or SD based systems it's even possible to add eg updated speed camera data, but basically it's also a massive geek-out to research and experiment with...
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby dutch7 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:19 pm

Hey Guys,

I've had an after-market LCD and PC installed in my car since 2010. I've put the original satnav screen back in today and am get this on the screen: Error;System unable to access the program. Please insert proper disc.
I can't find my original subaru software and map disc, so I've tried a v15 and v20 disc both to no avail. I'm planning on selling my car shortly, so need a software disc to go with it. If anyone can help me out by burning and posting me a disc (don't care what version) I'm willing to pay for your time and postage. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jamie
dutch7

Car: MY09 GT spec.B

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:32 pm

dutch7 wrote:Hey Guys,

I've had an after-market LCD and PC installed in my car since 2010. I've put the original satnav screen back in today and am get this on the screen: Error;System unable to access the program. Please insert proper disc.
I can't find my original subaru software and map disc, so I've tried a v15 and v20 disc both to no avail. I'm planning on selling my car shortly, so need a software disc to go with it. If anyone can help me out by burning and posting me a disc (don't care what version) I'm willing to pay for your time and postage. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jamie

Will send you a PM shortly 8)
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Return to Audio options