Macintosh Sub Replacement Info

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Macintosh Sub Replacement Info

Postby KelvinTaylor88 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:33 pm

So it seems many of you are interested in sorting your Macintosh sub so I'll share my experience with you all.

Discussion on replacement options: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14712

Installation Walkthrough: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17131

Amp modification for Sub Gain: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19926

SO the way I see it (and I'm basing this off reading every relevant audio forum post, but having limited personal knowledge) you have a few options based on how much you want to spend.

Inexpensive:
- Resealing/fixing Macintosh Sub (~$30-40)
- Sub Replacement only
(from my research the Kicker option I went with seemed one of the best matched options for the stock amp and can be had for cheap from Amazon right now
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035C ... ge_o00_s00
$110)

More Expensive:
- Sub and Amp replacement
(I think this is where the infamous Polk MM840 and DB840 options fit in as numerous posts I read found the Polks to be an upgrade but quite underpowered without a replacement amp - some have reported success with just the amp modification to power these Polks better however)

My Install

I bought my new Kicker sub off the Amazon link shown above and followed the above install guide to great success. My sub required a 20mm spacer to clear the torsion bars in the boot, I measured it out using the template provided in the box and used MDF which has worked well. Even with the spacer and bigger sub, the stock cover on the parcel shelf still fitted back over the top making it look stock.
Size of spacer, fitment in stock location, and sound issues will depend on the individual speaker but it seems this method of install works well with the Kicker and Polk options.

I also installed some sound deadening on the rear parcel shelf that I had lying around; this combined with having a better non-cracked sub has seen all vibration and rattle disappear from the system so far.

DISCLAIMER
This is just my experience based on the research and installation I did. I'm very happy with the Kicker upgrade over my broken Macintosh sub, and will update my build thread with impressions in a couple of weeks once my speaker has bed in and other bits for my car finally get back to me.

Refer to above forum links and other material if you want to consider other speaker options.
There is undoubtedly way more options out this, this is just based on my experience.
Last edited by KelvinTaylor88 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec B Urban Grey Metallic
Tuned, Raptor Headers, K2 Gear Spec Neo Catback, HKS ES Premium Ti Limited Mufflers, Shockworks Coilovers, Rays 57 Pro w/ Titanium Lip, Advan AD08R, JDM Front End w/ Zerosports Front Lip, Corazon Grille, Deltaspeed Side Skirts, Custom Headlights, Stickered, and more...

WTB: Diffuser, Subaru Badge, Brembos?
KelvinTaylor88

Car: MY06 Liberty Spec-B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26710

Re: Macintosh Sub Replacement Info

Postby underwaterdiver » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:56 pm

Awesome guide,

adding to this, this is the subwoofer I purchased (http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/V-90 ... 00+-+4+Ohm) its a direct replacement size and connector wise and has the proper specs to be powered by the shitty mac amp unmodified while still providing more of a kick than stock.

And best of all for people without endless pockets its only $46 and they offer local pickup from balwyn vic!!
2008 MY09 Liberty 3.0R SpecB Manual

DAMD Steering wheel, STI Sway Bar, ultrex front lip, ultrex rear diffuser, k&n filter, LED parkers$plate lights. Soon to be tuned by Matt Kid0
underwaterdiver

Car: 2008 MY09 Liberty 3.0R SpecB

Postby shav » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:32 pm

Awesome write ups Kelvin. Thanks heaps for your efforts. I am in dire need of a sub upgrade myself so doing research on them now. Just want quality though.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby KelvinTaylor88 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:46 pm

I posted an updated impression of the kicker in my build thread, very happy with the quality and price.
Seems there are some good local options for a direct replacement too, or Polk, JBL, etc. with an amp upgrade.
2006 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec B Urban Grey Metallic
Tuned, Raptor Headers, K2 Gear Spec Neo Catback, HKS ES Premium Ti Limited Mufflers, Shockworks Coilovers, Rays 57 Pro w/ Titanium Lip, Advan AD08R, JDM Front End w/ Zerosports Front Lip, Corazon Grille, Deltaspeed Side Skirts, Custom Headlights, Stickered, and more...

WTB: Diffuser, Subaru Badge, Brembos?
KelvinTaylor88

Car: MY06 Liberty Spec-B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26710

Postby Bono454 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:30 am

underwaterdiver wrote:Awesome guide,

adding to this, this is the subwoofer I purchased (http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/V-90 ... 00+-+4+Ohm) its a direct replacement size and connector wise and has the proper specs to be powered by the shitty mac amp unmodified while still providing more of a kick than stock.

And best of all for people without endless pockets its only $46 and they offer local pickup from balwyn vic!!

Hiya -Thanks for the tip on this woofer. Just fitted it and am stoked.

As I'm still using the stock McIntosh amp, this is a great match and provides more bass than could want (my other car has full twin sub, multi-amp setup & I know what bass is :D). For most electronic tunes I actually have to turn the Bass level to like -2, and for rock +2 or 3 is loads.

It fitted well into the standard hole/bolt positions on the parcel tray, though because the frame is very slightly larger OD (there is less flat mounting-ring area), you have to gradually tighten each mounting bolt & 'push' it into the gap evenly. I added a bit of dynamat around a few spots on the tray as well to help out).
Happy days!!
Attachments
IMG_5937b_SubComparo1_800.jpg
IMG_5937b_SubComparo1_800.jpg (159.35 KiB) Viewed 13370 times
IMG_5939b_SubComparo2_800.jpg
IMG_5939b_SubComparo2_800.jpg (168.68 KiB) Viewed 13370 times
IMG_5942b_SubComparo5_800.jpg
IMG_5942b_SubComparo5_800.jpg (194.4 KiB) Viewed 13370 times
New Daily: '04 Liberty GT Premium | Money Pit: '67 Camaro 454 | Grin Machine: '12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
Bono454

Car: 2004 Liberty GT Premium

Return to Audio options