Can I upgrade the current system to the premium newer style?

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Can I upgrade the current system to the premium newer style?

Postby Meggles » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:49 pm

Hey guys

Okay let's pretend for a minute that I'm super new to Subarus. (I totally am)

I've fallen in love with the late model Liberty wagons and desperately want one. However there's a few features I want and specific colour so it's hard to find what I want within price limits.

Soooo what I'm wondering is if I bought a car with this setup - http://i.imgur.com/lHcriRR.jpg

Could I easily have it changed out to the newer larger touch screen that the premium/GTs have? Like this http://i.imgur.com/OTz15bC.png

I know it sounds silly that I'm not wanting to buy a car just because it doesn't have the bigger screen, but this will be the last car upgrade I have for many years so it might as well have the few features I really like.

I realise this is potentially a stupid question but not actually having the car yet I don't even know what the interior is like and whether it would be a straight swap over etc - I don't want to have to modify the fascia etc.

Any suggestions or other ways I can achieve what I want would be appreciated.

Cheers guys :)
Meggles

Re: Can I upgrade the current system to the premium newer st

Postby Meggles » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:03 pm

Anyone?
Meggles

Postby HyRax » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:24 pm

Most parts and rip and replace. There's no reason why you can't put it in. The larger question will be "is it worth the effort?".
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:34 pm

I too would like a bigger screen. At least a less grainy map. But I doubt a Gen5 or Gen6 screen would just plug and play into eg. a Gen4 wiring loom. It gets signals from stuff like the handbrake switch, odometer and GPS antenna. Let alone the use of different Disc drives (Gen4s have a separate glovebox based one which can't play DVD Movies - newer ones are integrated into the head unit and do play DVD Movies). Which means the connectors and pinouts will change from year to year.
Then there's the mechanical fitment issue as well..
But if you'd like to do some major cutting and splicing, anything is doable.

I'd go for a Tablet install instead. Gives excellent screen resolution (most are much better than even the latest Subaru screens), and with Google Maps you'll always have the latest maps for free. Google Streetview (seeing the destination from street level) is fantastic and something I've never seen in any factory Sat nav - but it probably does exist on high-end cars.
It's still a bit of custom-work, but with audio output into the stock head unit's Aux input, and the ability to play Movies, and full GPS and Internet functionality if it has 3G, that'd beat any stock screen and cost much less. And much less work than trying to get a newer Subaru screen to work.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby Meggles » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:26 pm

I'm still getting a Gen5, its just not a premium or GT with the bigger screen etc

So hopefully it'll transfer over easily.
Meggles

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:48 pm

Meggles wrote:I'm still getting a Gen5, its just not a premium or GT with the bigger screen etc

So hopefully it'll transfer over easily.

Ah ok. If it's a case of Gen 5 to Gen 5, that should be easier. I haven't heard of anyone doing it, but at least the trim pieces will be available. Try it and others can learn from it...
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Return to Audio options