Completed Install and Reverse Camera Question

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Completed Install and Reverse Camera Question

Postby bergsey » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi guys,

After reviewing lots of awesome info on this site i have successfully upgraded the stock head unit in my MY07 Outback to a Pioneer double din unit. Bought the facia from Avojdm and was all pretty much plug and play (although the Aerpro harness was missing a couple of pins). Finished pic below

The head unit i purchased came with a bonus reverse camera. Havent hooked it up and had a few questions.

1. Head unit has a "reverse gear signal input" that needs to be wired up. Is there wiring near the head unit i can easily tap into? prefer not to start ripping the car apart if i can avoid it
2. Camera needs to be wired to ground and power. Seems to be most convenient to tap into the head unit harness. Any problems doing that?

Still not sure if i'm up for pulling all the trim etc apart to put the camera in but we'll see!

Cheers guys

IMG_2145 small.jpg
IMG_2145 small.jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
bergsey

Car: MY07 Outback / MY01 WRX

Re: Completed Install and Reverse Camera Question

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:08 am

Iirc you can use fuse taps in the cabin fuse box to do the job.
Key on power from the accessories fuse, reverse signal from reverse lamp fuse, ground to an adjacent bolt on the dash support structure.
Otherwise tap the reverse lamp positive in the boot/tailgate. Do not use the negative wire for ground, use a chassis ground only, and test your connection before connecting the camera.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: Completed Install and Reverse Camera Question

Postby psy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:50 am

Can't help with reverse signal.

Will comment though and say that it'd be better to power the camera from the reverse globes as BBB mentioned.
That way your camera will only turn on when you're in reverse. Will be a LOT easier to install too.
2016 Subaru Forester XT Premium
psy
-stickered-

Car: 2016 Forester XT Premium

Return to Audio options