Audio Options and Help

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Audio Options and Help

Postby Brad_ATL » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:58 pm

Hello All,

Recently got my 08 Liberty 4gen sedan and have a few questions.

Pic of stock system

So plan is to purchase the double din fascia kit through avojdm, currently looking at $380.

Q1 - Currently deciding between kenwood and pioneer double din head units, what are peoples opinions? and what way should i head? Also looking to upgrade the speakers and install a amp and sub with the same brand in the future.

Q2 - Im looking to install a aux cable to the center glove box/ arm rest, Is there a kit i can purchase? and what do i wire into?

Q3 - Im not happy with my current radio reception, really static sometimes but fine the next, Is there a quick fix or na?

Q4 - Not really audio related but the rear defogger is shit tbh, it works but very slowly, Is this normal or maybe something wrong?
Brad_ATL

Car: 08 Subaru Liberty 2.5 4gen

Re: Audio Options and Help

Postby andy_mac » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:20 pm

Any reason you're not looking into Alpine?
Their speakers, subs and amps are alot better than the likes of pioneer or kenwood.

For the aux/usb i just ran long cables from the back of the HU under the centre trim and drilled a small hole in the centre console for it to fit through. Aftermarket HU's make things like aux alot simpler. There probably are aftermarket kits but it'll be just as easy doing it without a kit.

For reception try it out with the new HU before looking into other options. I always had terrible reception with the stock HU but going to an aftermarket one for some reason solved that.

In general window elements are quite slow only so much a thin strip can do. Especially when probably a 3rd of those lines you see are the stereo's antenna
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Postby Brad_ATL » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:01 pm

Cheers
Hmm not really sure why i haven't, they seem a little more pricey after having a quick look.

But if you genuinely believe that they are alot better than pioneer or kenwood i might spend the extra $$$.

As for the aux cable does that just plug in into the back of your current alpine HU?
Brad_ATL

Postby andy_mac » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:29 pm

Headunits you could go either way really, performance differences wouldn't become apparent without a serious amp/speaker setup. Alpine amps and speakers are definately a step above what Pioneer and Kenwood offer though

Yea AUX/USB just plug into the rear of the unit and you route it to wherever you want. Use USB rather than AUX though. There's no reason these days to bother with AUX when almost everything can connect via USB, quality is much better and you get to charge your device at the same time.
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Postby Brad_ATL » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:43 pm

Thanks for the help
Will see how long i can go without it while i save up for the parts.
Brad_ATL

Postby Jup » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:07 pm

andy_mac wrote:There's no reason these days to bother with AUX when almost everything can connect via USB, quality is much better and you get to charge your device at the same time.

That might depend on the device and USB port.

On my test drive I plugged my iPhone into the USB socket, and although it connected for music playback, it did not charge the phone. I agree that the audio quality is far superior though.
Jup

Car: MY15 3.6R

Return to Audio options