Potential tablet setup

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: Potential tablet setup

Postby andy_mac » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:38 pm

Cheers for the help so far man.
Nexus 7 is probably the safest bet then. Would have liked to find something with a thinner bezel/bigger screen but from the ones currently available nothing fits the gap between the vents quite as well.

One thing i did hear was the Nexus screens are polarized for portrait viewing so once you go landscape you won't be able to see the screen with polarized glasses. Any truth to this?

One more question, then i think i've got a solid plan. By using USB as the connection to the HU am I losing the USB OTG ability for external storage or could that still work with a hub. Not sure how the HU would deal with seeing 2 media sources either.
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Postby HyRax » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:35 pm

andy_mac wrote:Cheers for the help so far man.
Nexus 7 is probably the safest bet then. Would have liked to find something with a thinner bezel/bigger screen but from the ones currently available nothing fits the gap between the vents quite as well.

Once it's in, I find the screen is plenty big enough, ie: it's not small to look at, even at night. Sure, a bigger screen would be nicer, but there's always the option to upgrade to a better Nexus tablet down the track as they make them.

andy_mac wrote:One thing i did hear was the Nexus screens are polarized for portrait viewing so once you go landscape you won't be able to see the screen with polarized glasses. Any truth to this?

That is indeed correct. If you are offside with sunnies on, the screen is completely black. If you are straight-on, you can see it, but it's still slightly darkened. Turn your head 90 degrees and it all comes clear, or just take the sunnies off. ;)

andy_mac wrote:One more question, then i think i've got a solid plan. By using USB as the connection to the HU am I losing the USB OTG ability for external storage or could that still work with a hub. Not sure how the HU would deal with seeing 2 media sources either.

Connect the tablet to a USB hub, but only have the data lines go to it and have the power lines from that cable connected to the power supply rather than the hub (there's no reason why it can't be powered from the hub, but best to have pure uninterrupted dedicated power from the PSU - just use a good quality OTG Y-Cable or make your own). Now connect all your USB devices to the hub. Timur's ROM forces the kernel to go into Fast Charge mode whilst keeping OTG enabled. Normally Fast Charge mode disables OTG mode because the data lines would be shorted.

Have everything controlled by the tablet and only have the headunit deal with the tablet's media audio and the phone's call audio. Don't have it do anything else (other than other independent sources like Tuner, CD, Aux, etc). If you want to have a USB port to connect a random USB stick for music/video, mount a cabin-facing USB port somewhere on the console and have it connect to the tablet via the hub instead and then use an appropriate app to play/view the contents of your USB stick.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby McDoof » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:09 am

andy_mac wrote:One thing i did hear was the Nexus screens are polarized for portrait viewing so once you go landscape you won't be able to see the screen with polarized glasses. Any truth to this?

That is indeed correct. If you are offside with sunnies on, the screen is completely black. If you are straight-on, you can see it, but it's still slightly darkened. Turn your head 90 degrees and it all comes clear, or just take the sunnies off. ;)

That is a bit of pain, but can be dealt with.
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby andy_mac » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:57 pm

That setup makes sense. Only thing i was questioning was what the HU will actually see. Considering the hdd/usb stick and tablet would be both connected would the HU possibly try connect to the usb stick rather than the tablet for its usb connection. Not sure if a usb hub limits what each device can see from each other.

Got a spare portable hdd case and really need a bigger ssd for the desktop so might possibly use the 60gb one for this setup instead.

Thinking this would be the layout i'd be going for.

Tablet-------OTG Y Cable----- Power Source
.......................|....................|
........................------------------USB Hub-------HDD/USB Stick
............................................|
.............................................--------------HU

Edit: ignore the dots, site formatting didn't let me do it how i wanted
andy_mac

Postby McDoof » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:41 am

Picked up a 3G version of the 2012 Nexus 7 for $125.
Going to rig something up with that. Not going full retard at this point just because the dash thing is bloody expensive :-(
Looking at fitting a wireless charging mod to it so I can remove it from the car and use it outside of the car too without having to plug stuff into it all the time.
What I have found out is that the Anycarlink Bluetooth module will not pair a different device to Multimedia and Phone which is a pity. So for now my music will remain on the phone. The good thing with spotify is that I can start the app on the tablet and control the phone in my pocket. I have also set up tablet talk to receive messages and receive and make calls direct to the phone.
Just working out how I am going to mount it. I was thinking something magnetic and also slightly angled towards me to reduce glare on the screen. Might make something out of timber to start and then get one of my mates to 3D print it in plastic later.
McDoof

Postby andy_mac » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:08 am

Yea the dash pockets are crazy expensive. If you do get one eventually get the clock and cubby separately. Will end up costing less that way since they will be above the import gst threshold if done together so that'll whack on 15% plus admin fees

Nice score with that tablet too, 2nd hand i assume?
andy_mac

Postby HyRax » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:24 am

McDoof wrote:Picked up a 3G version of the 2012 Nexus 7 for $125.

Nice score!
McDoof wrote:Looking at fitting a wireless charging mod to it so I can remove it from the car and use it outside of the car too without having to plug stuff into it all the time.

The biggest problem with wireless charging is that it does not charge at a rate that will overcome the energy consumed with running the screen and other components such as GPS. It's primarily designed as a "screen-off" charging technology when you're asleep in bed, etc. Your battery will ultimately still drain whilst you are using and charging it.

In Fast Charge mode with a normal AC charger that provides up to 2A, your tablet will typically consume a maximum of about 1.8A whether the screen is on or not. A wireless charging pad typically only provides charge of between 0.3 and 0.5A - simply not enough for a car installation.
HyRax

Postby McDoof » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:57 pm

he biggest problem with wireless charging is that it does not charge at a rate that will overcome the energy consumed with running the screen and other components such as GPS. It's primarily designed as a "screen-off" charging technology when you're asleep in bed, etc. Your battery will ultimately still drain whilst you are using and charging it.

I get that. I have a 800ma charge coil. While the battery will drain, the plan is to have the screen in daydream mode most of the time, so just a black screen with the time on it. From my initial testing it will charge slowly while in this mode. Then if I need GPS it can drain down a bit. I never really use GPS for long periods of time. Music will be played off the phone anyway.
It's going to be a bit of a trial and error experience.
McDoof

Postby McDoof » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:35 am

The nexus was a dud in the end. USB would not connect to a PC so I couldn't root it. Good thing it had a warranty. Got a Wifi 2013 for even less $$ now, so lets hope this one is good.
McDoof

Postby HyRax » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:47 pm

McDoof wrote:The nexus was a dud in the end. USB would not connect to a PC so I couldn't root it. Good thing it had a warranty. Got a Wifi 2013 for even less $$ now, so lets hope this one is good.

Win! It's much better than the 2012 model in every way. Get Android 5.1.1 onto it!

Even if something is wrong with it, replacement parts are cheap on FleaBay. My 2013 Nexus7 LTE unit actually had a cracked screen and non-functional touch when I got it at a steal. Adding the cost of the replacement touch panel and LCD screen, the price was still cheaper than one already intact, and it only took 30 minutes to swap the new one in.
HyRax

Postby McDoof » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:56 pm

Just having a play on it now. Much more responsive than the first gen. Would have preferred the LTE model but this will do. Currently on a Bluetooth internet tether. Seems ok actually. Still going to look at some sort of semi permanent install so I can use the tablet outside of the car too
McDoof

Postby McDoof » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:00 am

HyRax, now do you implement the boot animations. The powerdown vid was pretty simple to do
McDoof

Postby HyRax » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:22 am

McDoof wrote:HyRax, now do you implement the boot animations.

I have some instruction for that here.
HyRax

Postby McDoof » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:28 am

HyRax wrote:

Perfect, that works.
Just need to work out the mounting now. I still want to be able to take the tablet with me and I just can't justify the cost of the facia at this point
I have ordered a few bits already
One of these for the OTG http://www.ebay.com/itm/251620434151 I like the 90 degree connector
One of these for Power http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321530483883
Timur's Kernel for 5.1.1 installed and tested
This is starting to look a lot like your build other than the fact that it is not going to be fully installed.
I have also go a Belkin BT receiver that is hooked into the Aux port on my Anycarlink via 3.5mm jack. Sound quality is only slightly less than going direct BT to the Anycarlink. So that way I can keep my phone paired for calls and use this for music as the Anycarlink won't let me pair a different device for media and calls.

Giant Icons are also a nice touch for car use
McDoof

Postby Flat6Estate » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:45 pm

HyRax wrote:

Can this be done on a nexus 7 2012 model??? Or is it only for 2013?
MY08 Spec B 3.0L Manual Wagon
1998 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat - a bit broken :-o
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Car: 2007 MY08 Liberty Wagon 3RB 6spd
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32189&p=425885#p425885

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options