MY06 Outback head unit - anyone done a single DIN?

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

MY06 Outback head unit - anyone done a single DIN?

Postby twojays » Sat May 30, 2015 10:21 pm

Hi guys,

I've just done probably the most boring audio upgrade you'll find on this forum in the Mrs' MY06 Outback - upgraded to a single DIN kenwood unit but the stupid single DIN pocket I ordered doesn't fit the gap left (and I can't see any on ebay that will do any better). From checking through the forum I can't find many others that have done a single din install, but does anyone have any info on a pocket they've used that will fit? I've attached a photo to show where I'm at... I've used the japanparts kit as recommended throughout this forum.

Also, does anyone have any tips on the best places to run a rear mounted USB cable in these? I've wedged it into the ashtray area which is working well enough, but just wondering if anyone has a better idea. The smartarse answer "through the giant freakin hole you left above the stereo" has already been used by the Mrs :-)

Finally, the install was a simple thanks to the great content here so thanks to you all! And to answer the obvious question: Went single din 'cause the Mrs wanted the extra storage space and nothing that needed the big screen... now that I've practiced on her outback, it might be time to do my liberty soon!
Attachments
2015-05-24 09.59.21 (sml).jpg
2015-05-24 09.59.21 (sml).jpg (166.13 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
twojays

Car: Bog-standard Liberty 4GEN 2.5i

Re: MY06 Outback head unit - anyone done a single DIN?

Postby Gyro Gearloose » Sat May 30, 2015 11:06 pm

Something like this for the usb (throw away the wedge looking thing) and mount it wherever you like
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcycle-Car-Flush-Mount-Panel-Accessory-2m-USB-Extension-Install-Cable-Lead-/271833447390

As for the din pocket, maybe try a lower spec Impreza or Forester (my 04 Forester has a single din pocket with a hinged door that should fit in a single din hole
2004 Liberty GT Auto
2004 Forester
1987 Leone RX Turbo with EJ20G, 5sp AWD Dual Range and WRX brakes (Khanacross Toy)
Gyro Gearloose

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto, 87 Leone RX

Postby mihai » Sun May 31, 2015 3:59 pm

Run the USB cable into the glove box. Remove the little CD holder in the top right (just pulls out), separate it (it splits in half on a hinge) and cut a notch out in the back then run the cable through there.

As for the single din pocket, it should fit, however normally you have to mount the pocket before you mount the headunit as the headunit kinda 'locks' it in place?

Attach some pics of the pocket and may be able to assist further
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby twojays » Sun May 31, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll definitely look at both ideas for the USB cable. As luck would have it I was at the local JB Hifi today and the guy that served me had an installer mate of his in the store who had done a few subaru conversions before with the japanparts kit... he's successfully used the Aerpro Toyota sleeve before so I picked up one of them for $14 while I was in store. Should be a winner with any luck but that hinged door might be a good alternative.

@mihai: Yeah, that it should just fit was my thought too but the generic one I initally got had a bit more of a "frame" around the front to help it snap in that doesn't work with the kit... thanks for the offer, if this new one doesn't work I'll post photos for sure.
twojays

Car: Bog-standard Liberty 4GEN 2.5i

Return to Audio options