Amp splitting

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Amp splitting

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:00 pm

So sometime soon im going to redo the speakers in my liberty (07 spec b) Currently i have a 5 channel amp and a monoblock.

What i want to do:
Use the the 5 channel to power door speaker +tweeter in the front and door speaker in the back (4 channels)
and use the 5 channel to power the sub that will be in the stock location.
This would be enough but its getting to the point where its not worth selling my amp so heres the question:

I have heard that the liberty comes with 2 6 inch subs in each front door. Is it possible to split the monoblock amp to these 2 'subs' probably in series if i can get the impedance right?

I cant see anything wrong with this but just making sure per say but is it possible i may run into wiring difficulty with the stock headunit
GONEWALKABOUT

Re: Amp splitting

Postby andy_mac » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:06 pm

Are you saying you're getting new speakers or just trying to up the power to the stock setup? New sub or stock too?
Definately wouldn't call them subs, same way you don't really call the 6.5 speaker in a component set a sub. Doesn't have the wattage to be much good on their own.

Wouldn't generally have enough wattage from a single channel off a 5 channel one to power a sub. Much better off using the monoblock for that, or atleast 2 channels bridged on that amp.

Hi lo level rca converters sounds like the only option if your amp doesn't have a high level input.
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:41 pm

andy_mac wrote:Are you saying you're getting new speakers or just trying to up the power to the stock setup? New sub or stock too?
Definately wouldn't call them subs, same way you don't really call the 6.5 speaker in a component set a sub. Doesn't have the wattage to be much good on their own.

Wouldn't generally have enough wattage from a single channel off a 5 channel one to power a sub. Much better off using the monoblock for that, or atleast 2 channels bridged on that amp.

Hi lo level rca converters sounds like the only option if your amp doesn't have a high level input.

I think you mis-understand slightly, a member or here said they thought the 12 speaker setup of the liberty contained 2 small ( 6.5 inch) subs in the front doors in addition to the 8 inch of the rear shelf or boot.

a 5 channel amp also comes with 4 channels designed for each door speaker and also has 1 channel dedicated to the sub. Ie 110rms x 4 500rms x 5

But that is a good point i didnt think of if the the door subs are not technically subs
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby andy_mac » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:09 pm

Haha yea probably

You could call them subs in theory since they focus on the low end. The front doors are just a 4 way split with those doing the low end, the 3-4inch ones doing mid and the two tweeters the high end.
So that hole would be either used as 6.5inch subs or part of a component set, there's not holes for both options.

Just chuck a good 2way component set up front, rear coaxials and the sub in back, HU to amp is the only real fiddly part.
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:31 am

If you have a 3 way crossover then you can tweak the
frequency response reaching the stock 3 speakers in the front doors independently not usually a cheap option though

If your upgrading speakers i wouldn't bother changing the rears just put that money towards the front set of splits. A 6.5" and tweeter for each door and your set. 8" subs for the parcel shelf can be relatively cheap but depends on what sound your looking for and your budget.
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Return to Audio options