Raspberry Pi/KODI/XMBC/ODB2 on Stock Nav Screen MY08GT-B

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Raspberry Pi/KODI/XMBC/ODB2 on Stock Nav Screen MY08GT-B

Postby edy80y » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:24 am

Hey All,

I have a spare RPi B+ laying around so i wanna try to set it up in the car using the existing touch screen.

Ultimately i would be running XBMC/KODI for entertainment, and some kind of 'Tourque'-like app that connects to my Bluetooth ODB2 dongle, but i can worry about that later on.

Yesterday i was able to connect the Pi to the composite input on the back of the screen using a 3.5mm > Composite + L + R cable and it works as expected, although i think i need to change the output of the Pi video to NTSC because the quality of the graphics was shite.

I also have a 4-wire resistive touch USB controller that i will be connecting to the screen so that the existing screen and touch panel can be used as an input device on the Pi. There are a lot of instructions on the net that i can use for installing the drivers etc, and there have been many examples of people wiring the controllers up to 3rd party screens, however i have not found anyone who has fitted the controller on the factory kenwood screen.

Here is where i need help (or answers):

- can i solder the 4 wires from the controller directly onto the existing 4-pins/tracks where the touch panel is connected to the circuit board inside the screens enclosure? (i want to be able to also use the existing interface as well as the RPi)

- does anyone know if the touch screen works whilst the screen is displaying video from the composite input?

Cheers
edy80y

Car: 2008 MY08 Liberty GT Spec.B

Re: Raspberry Pi/KODI/XMBC/ODB2 on Stock Nav Screen MY08GT-B

Postby HardwareBoB » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:20 am

nice project - I think the nexus 7 install is a better options, but this should be cheaper if you can get it working.
Unsure about your questions sorry, but you should be able to test it?
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby michaelat » Fri May 29, 2015 12:40 pm

Wow. I was about to jump in and say you'll have issues with connecting the touch input and drivers but you've clearly done a lot of research and know a lot about what you want to do.
I don't believe that you'll be able to soldier directly to the board, I oils suggest using 5 pin relays to swap between the factory system and the pi. Not the most graceful way of doing it, but I can't imagine any reasons why it wouldn't work safely.
Silver 2.0L MY05 Liberty Sedan
MODS
Intake Silencer Removed
LED Everything (Except Headlights and Fog Lights)
Painted Grill (Navy with red)
LED Light Bar
RGB LED Halos (100mm)
michaelat

Car: MY05 Liberty 2.0L Natural Aspiration

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri May 29, 2015 2:17 pm

I'll have a go at that test asap :)
It's a great idea, if a method could be found.

What about a second touch panel on top of the Nav screen?

Another approach is to use an optical sensor ala Xbox kinect or sony PS3 eye and train that to follow your finger tip and taps on the screen.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to Audio options