Amp upgrade for MY07 tbSTI ?

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Amp upgrade for MY07 tbSTI ?

Postby Monkey » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:59 pm

Hi all

I'm really happy with the sound of the McIntosh system in my MY07 tbSTI, however the volume is just not loud enough. Even with the Nexus installed (which is louder than radio/CD) I'm often turning volume up to 35/40 with the windows down. I don't think there's anything wrong with it- just underpowered.

I recently cooked the sub channel on my stock amp trying to do the amp gain mod with a not-small-enough soldering tip, so I'm looking for a replacement, but rather than spend $ on stock, I was wondering if there's an amp which will go straight in and sound good for a bit more money?

I haven't changed any other audio components in the car and don't wish to except for the sub upgrade to the Polk MM840 and Dynamat added a few months ago.
Ideally don't want to spend more than $200 for a used one; and ideally $150. New is probably out since 5 channels are typically over $500 and I don't want to reduce sound quality with cheap crap eg. Fusion, etc.
I've already got a wiring kit I can use from a previous sub install in another car and I will probably do the install myself so it has to be easy.

Hoping for suggestions please, including a link to an applicable Subaru wiring kit for the signal inputs if one exists?

Cheers
Monkey

Car: MY07 black 6MT Liberty tbSTI sedan

Re: Amp upgrade for MY07 tbSTI ?

Postby mihai » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:15 am

Best way to go is an Alpine PDX-5 or the newer PDX-V9 amps. Alternatively, if you don't care about rear speakers you can get a 4ch amp and use Ch1 and Ch2 for front speakers and Ch3 + Ch4 bridged for the sub.

They are a bit pricey, however you may be able to get a used one for around the 200-300 mark.

The way to go is to wire in your power, ground and remote as usual. Take remote turn on from cigarette lighter.

The speaker wires, you need a small needle and you can remove the pins from the factory connector. Then just plug these into the speaker terminal on the new amp and screw them down. Each speaker has a coloured wire for + and a white wire for - and they are twisted around each other near the factory amp.

This way means no cutting of wires and in the event that you want to return to factory it is still relatively simple.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby mr_sinistah » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:57 pm

Can anyone recommend a good <$200 amp? But I hear we are limited by headunit output?? I use AUX IN if that means anything...

Also there is a knob on the amp?? what does that do??
MY05 3.0R-B
mr_sinistah

Car: MY05 3.0R-B
Profile URL: IG: mr_tanzil

Postby Monkey » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:10 am

mihai wrote:Best way to go is an Alpine PDX-5 or the newer PDX-V9 amps. .

Cheers - on the lookout for one of these now. One sold yesterday on Ebay for $354 but was interstate.
Only thing I'm disappointed about is that I read the 07 tbSTI has an additional centre speaker which will be lost if replacing the amp.
I saw recently a 5.1 channel amp - wondering whether that would be suitable to get all speakers + sub working?
Monkey

Postby Monkey » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:13 am

mr_sinistah wrote:Can anyone recommend a good <$200 amp? But I hear we are limited by headunit output?? I use AUX IN if that means anything...

Also there is a knob on the amp?? what does that do??

I doubt any limitations with the headunit will be problematic, unless you plan to build a $5k+ competition system.
Knob on the stock Macintosh amp? May have already been modded?? - see: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19926
Monkey

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:43 am

Monkey wrote:
mihai wrote:Best way to go is an Alpine PDX-5 or the newer PDX-V9 amps. .

Cheers - on the lookout for one of these now. One sold yesterday on Ebay for $354 but was interstate.
Only thing I'm disappointed about is that I read the 07 tbSTI has an additional centre speaker which will be lost if replacing the amp.
I saw recently a 5.1 channel amp - wondering whether that would be suitable to get all speakers + sub working?

5 channel is the shiz. Dont be disapointed to lose a couple of speakers. 4 good door speakers plus a sub such as the polk mm840 suggested by many here will outperform the stock 12 speaker setup significantly and will be more than enough for any application.
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby mr_sinistah » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:09 pm

Noted! Yeh I'd want some JL Audio C3-600s eventually but OEM lefty was blown so I went with Pioneer component TSG6104C from SCA for $55.

Currently have some Sony 4 ways in there atm, will probably move them to the rear doors, Pioneers in front, MM840 sub and Dynamat or Resomat all over! Any tips on coverage much appreciated :)
MY05 3.0R-B
mr_sinistah

Car: MY05 3.0R-B
Profile URL: IG: mr_tanzil

Postby mihai » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:56 pm

mr_sinistah wrote:Noted! Yeh I'd want some JL Audio C3-600s eventually but OEM lefty was blown so I went with Pioneer component TSG6104C from SCA for $55.

Currently have some Sony 4 ways in there atm, will probably move them to the rear doors, Pioneers in front, MM840 sub and Dynamat or Resomat all over! Any tips on coverage much appreciated :)

50-75% coverage is all thats needed. And depending on what bracing is around you may not even need to go that far.

I suggest you also do that door cards as thats what vibrate the most.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Return to Audio options