There was an amp but now there isn't

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

There was an amp but now there isn't

Postby munya » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:30 am

Hi,
Apologies for the newbie question. I've searched (and learned a lot about the McIntosh HU which I don't have..) but can't find what I'm looking for.
I just picked up an MY08 Liberty at auction and really happy with the purchase, got a bargain. My only issue was that the stereo appeared to be working normally, but I couldn't get any sound out of the speakers. A quick look under the passenger seat revealed the problem, the previous owner kindly decided to rip out what must have been an amp. The Head Unit is a GX-204KH.

So I'm not a huge audiophile so just want it working as it should. So my questions are, was this a stock amp? If so, does anyone know the model or if these are available to buy second hand? Or would this have been an after market amp? If so, looking at the wiring, would there be something I can purchase that would be a simple plug in job to get the audio working again? Any advice on my best option to get some sound would be appreciated.

Image of wiring attached

Thanks for your help
Attachments
wiring.jpg
Wiring
wiring.jpg (215.23 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
munya

Re: There was an amp but now there isn't

Postby Rezza » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:10 am

That looks like there was an aftermarket amp fitted under the seat that was removed. The bundle of wires on the right look to be speaker line inputs (designed for head units that don't have RCA outputs). The ones with the forked connectors are for the speakers, and the thickest 2 cables are power and ground. The orange one is for switching the amp on and will most likely run from your accessory part of your ignition. The only thing that would concern me about all those wires would be the bulge under all the electrical tape on the speaker line input section. As long as it is all soldered and correctly shielded under all that tape to stop shorting the wires out it should be fine. I hope that helps.

Rezza.
His: MY04 WRX, World Rally blue, 3 inch TBE, K&N filter, epic sound system.
Hers: 05 BA Falcon XR6, Rapid Yellow, X Force exhaust, K&N filter, slotted and cross drilled rotors, Bendix pads.
Rezza

Car: 03 WRX, 3" TBE, ICE

Re: There was an amp but now there isn't

Postby andy_mac » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:53 am

Definately looks like an aftermarket setup was installed there.
So with the right info on colours you could theoretically just join the speaker wires on the left to the corresponding ones on the right. To get it to run directly off the headunit. Not ideal though
Or get an amp with a high level input.
But if you don't know much about car audio it'd probably be best to take it to an installer. Sorting out other peoples work can be a real nightmare sometimes
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Return to Audio options