Recommendations to replace GEN V McIntosh HU

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Recommendations to replace GEN V McIntosh HU

Postby legalis » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi
I have just bought a 2014 GT Premium, and I find the McIntosh Headunit to be pretty disappointing. Interface is very old school and the bloody thing wont pair with Iphones phonebook. I am after a nice 7-8" (Can go 6.1" if no other option, have eyes on Pioneer AVIC-F960DAB) HU with GPS, BT, DAB+(with touch controls). I have seen the Alpine X800D-U which has me drooling, but at $2400 + install my wife would kill me ( I may still get it if its the only option). I know i need a new fascia, but what device is needed to pair the new HU up to the steering wheel controls. Is it achievable and if so, it it brand specific? Any recommendations would be appreciated. I looked at the Alpine W957 with the DAB+ module but the DAB would only be controlled with the supplied remote which sucks.
MY14 2014 Liberty GT Premium
legalis

Car: 2014 GT Premium

Re: Recommendations to replace GEN V McIntosh HU

Postby Meggles » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:19 pm

Hey

Did you end up finding out an easy way to do this?

I have a gen5 standard, not GT, and wanting to upgrade to the bigger screen with nav etc, but not sure how to go about it.
Meggles

Re: Recommendations to replace GEN V McIntosh HU

Postby TwistdInfinity » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:37 pm

I'm considering an upgrade to a gen 5 gt and I noticed it has the sat nav as standard. I would actually want to go to rid of the sat nav and McIntosh unit and just run a tablet head unit and have a pocket to fill the other gap.

I want to know hard it would be to take the sat nav unit out. Is it attached to the facia around it? I know I'd need a facia kit to replace the McIntosh unit but not sure what the go with the sat nav is
TwistdInfinity

Car: MY07 Liberty Wagon Pearl White

Return to Audio options