MY04 Head unit change

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

MY04 Head unit change

Postby kris_brennan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:18 pm

I understand the probability that the following question has already been asked and answered is high, however, I can not find the specifics of what I require on any threads I've seen so far.

Basically I have an 2003 MY04 GT and I would like to change the head deck from the standard to a double din with blue tooth capabilities.
I have seen from members on this forum that they have successfully changed them to fit an after market double din however they reside in other countries or other states and have most likely had this work done by a custom installer. I am located in Townsville, North QLD and there doesn't seem to be any reputable installers here that are able to do the work.
Does anyone know where I might be able to source the kit required to complete the changeover, OR, does anyone know of an installer who could do this for me in Townsville?
And please don't waste my time with "that's a waste of money" or "DIY" answers, I don't have the capability nor the tools to DIY and I'd rather pay for the work and get a warranty :D . I really want this work done cause from what I've seen it looks cool as shit! And I can no longer live with having to use the old Belkin FM Tuner.
kris_brennan

Car: 2003 Liberty GT (Modified)

Re: MY04 Head unit change

Postby kris_brennan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:10 pm

Also, this is not the McIntosh head unit.
kris_brennan

Postby timmo3193 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:51 pm

You need the facia kit if you want to install a headunit. Commonly goes by the name of an "AV Panel Set".

Some models use the same circuit board for both the stereo and the aircon controls which makes this pretty expensive. Im not 100% as to which models have what but if yours fall under that category something along the lines of this will do the trick:
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/14777

Or if yours are seperate circuit boards then are plenty of cheaper ones available, for example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-SUBARU- ... 3f46804d9b

First step would be to find this out^^.

With the facia sorted it should be a walk in the park for any audio installer who knows what they are doing.
There is all sorts of drama's involved with the stock amp (if your model has one) and for time and cost I would recommend just running new wires straight from your speakers to your new headunit and bypass the amp all together.
+ Spec-B Wagon. Black. 6mt. 15% Tint (5 on the boot). HID's. LED Tailights. 18" Advanti Almera's
+ Pixjnr's Fuel Pump Kit. King Springs. Raptor Headers and Cat-back Exhaust. Slotted DBA's. | Coming: BC BR's & E85 tune by Matt
+ Hertz MLK-165's, Sony Double DIN, N7 install, and Twin 12" Fusion Subs - Floor Mounted. All amped and Dynamated
timmo3193

Car: 3.0RB

Postby kris_brennan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:29 pm

Had it checked out. Turns out Stinger wants $600 for the fascia kit.
OR I can have a new head deck installed under the glove compartment for a hell of a lot cheaper.
New head deck amp and speaker install is even cheaper than just buying that fascia kit and only slightly
more expensive than buying the kit off Japan Parts.
Cheers for the links, but at this point if I can save money it'll be better for me in the end.
And the beauty of it is I can take out the head deck if I ever decide to sell the car.
Now I just need to buy the under dash cover for it.
kris_brennan

Postby VanillaIce220 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:19 pm

timmo3193 wrote:You need the facia kit if you want to install a headunit. Commonly goes by the name of an "AV Panel Set".

Some models use the same circuit board for both the stereo and the aircon controls which makes this pretty expensive. Im not 100% as to which models have what but if yours fall under that category something along the lines of this will do the trick:
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/14777

Or if yours are seperate circuit boards then are plenty of cheaper ones available, for example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-SUBARU- ... 3f46804d9b

First step would be to find this out^^.

With the facia sorted it should be a walk in the park for any audio installer who knows what they are doing.
There is all sorts of drama's involved with the stock amp (if your model has one) and for time and cost I would recommend just running new wires straight from your speakers to your new headunit and bypass the amp all together.

Timmo how do know if you have the split unit for a stock 04 gt, like Mine is stock as a rock and I am over stock headunit and sound, the fascia is... well looks separated it has like a spiny bar between the ac and the stock unit, does that mean mine is split and i can go the cheaper options.
Meme god.
VanillaIce220

Car: Subaru Liberty 04 GT

Postby kris_brennan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:33 pm

Ok so can anyone tell me if it's possible to simply remove the stock sound system and install a McIntosh head unit into it?
I want to go all black with the middle interior cause I reckon it looks pretty sick. And it seems as if maybe this option would be cheaper than buying the
fascia kit and a double din head unit.
kris_brennan

Postby HardwareBoB » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:46 pm

kris_brennan wrote:Ok so can anyone tell me if it's possible to simply remove the stock sound system and install a McIntosh head unit into it?
I want to go all black with the middle interior cause I reckon it looks pretty sick. And it seems as if maybe this option would be cheaper than buying the
fascia kit and a double din head unit.

not hugely - I have a fascia kit coming for $300 If you like - I can also sell you my McIntosh unit for $250, amp for $75 and my anylink to give it bluetooth for $200.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby kris_brennan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:52 pm

not hugely - I have a fascia kit coming for $300 If you like - I can also sell you my McIntosh unit for $250, amp for $75 and my anylink to give it bluetooth for $200.[/quote]

It's not hugely possible or it's not hugely difficult to do it?
The unit I have is the stock one, so it's not split.
I don't want to spend anything if it's not going to fit.
kris_brennan

Return to Audio options