Steering Wheel Controls

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: Steering Wheel Controls

Postby Hybrid » Fri May 25, 2012 7:52 pm

sjm69 wrote:
Hybrid wrote:
sjm69 wrote:If you have a look at the legacy gt forum There is a step by step guide to how to do it

Are you able to post the link? :D

only if i know how :cry: :cry:

jump onto legacygt.com
and look for "how to install steering wheel radio controls"
fingers crossed for you its just plug and play

All good :), spoke with Chris21 we have the same cars (Kenwood Limited Edition SatNav BT) and yep direct plug and play for part #83154AG001

Ordered from subarugenuineparts.com woot.
Hybrid

Steering Wheel Controls

Postby sjm69 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:28 am

All good :), spoke with Chris21 we have the same cars (Kenwood Limited Edition SatNav BT) and yep direct plug and play for part #83154AG001

Ordered from subarugenuineparts.com woot.[/quote]
sweet ,,,,, was the part still on a sale price from the USA ??? Freight cost will suck
sjm69
-stickered-

Car: MY08 Premium Wagon

Postby Hybrid » Sat May 26, 2012 5:08 am

sjm69 wrote:sweet ,,,,, was the part still on a sale price from the USA ??? Freight cost will suck

Yep on sale still. Postage was $18 USD :)
Hybrid

Steering Wheel Controls

Postby sjm69 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:54 am

Hybrid wrote:
sjm69 wrote:sweet ,,,,, was the part still on a sale price from the USA ??? Freight cost will suck

Yep on sale still. Postage was $18 US:)

great let us know how it all goes
sjm69
-stickered-

Postby GT_Tony » Sat May 26, 2012 8:04 am

i have a steering wheel for sale with the audio controls
*** Team Tony *** 555 ***
GT_Tony
-stickered-

Car: Black 05 GT Sedan

Postby ricco » Sat May 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Radio switch, W/6 disc SWITCH SATELLITE C0 is that thr part
Once Famous

La pratica vale più della grammatica.
ricco

Car: 2010 Liberty 2.5

Postby sjm69 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:06 am

part #83154AG001

Ordered from subarugenuineparts.com woot
sjm69
-stickered-

Steering Wheel Controls

Postby sjm69 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:32 pm

Update. Still working a o k
sjm69
-stickered-

Postby Hybrid » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:55 pm

sjm69 wrote:Update. Still working a o k

Installed mine yesterday too, they work a treat.
Hybrid

Steering Wheel Controls

Postby sjm69 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:15 pm

Hay great news ......just finishes off the steering wheel....... doesn't it !!!!
sjm69
-stickered-

Postby markmd1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:41 pm

I have recently obtained the swc controls from Subaru genuine parts in the USA and fitted them to my 2007 Outback. The audio controls did not work initially, so I decided to investigate further using a multi meter from the connector on the steering wheel clockspring housing (ie the connector block into which the new swc controls connect) to the first terminal block below the clockspring mechanism. I discovered that pins 4 & 5 from the left hand side of the top connector were not connected to anything on the terminal block below the clockspring. It appears that Subaru must have changed their wiring harness sometime between MY07 and MY08 in order to enable the connection of steering wheel controls. This would explain why some people with MY07's have not had any success.

The work around for this is quite simple. First remove the steering wheel as previously described. Remove the upper and lower steering column covers and locate the large white harness multi-plug plug on the right hand side of the steering column. Disconnect this multi-plug and use your multimeter to establish which wires feed down from pins 4 & 5 on the top connector, through the clockspring mechanism, to this plug. On my car pin 4 was a green wire and pin 5 was a red wire at the lower plug. Then just splice a wire on to each of these and run these wires across to the back of the radio unit.

There is an 8 pin connector going into the back of the radio with only 3 wires connected. The green one is for override illumination brighness. The other two wires are purple and orange with white traces on each. Just connect the 2 wires you spliced at the steering wheel multi-plug into these two wires. I just took pot luck on which way to connect these two and it works fine. If it had not worked, I would have simply reversed this connection.

It's hard to fathom why Subaru would fit a radio CD player with an obvious AUX in capabilty plus wiring in a connector for steering wheel controls without then completing the job and providing the swc's and the actual AUX input as well, but there you have it...at least it can all be done. I trust that this post may serve to clarify this issue for those that follow and wish to "have a go". May I say a big thank you to all the previous contributors, who took the time to report their findings, which I found to be extremely helpful.
markmd1

Car: Outback 2.5i 2007

Postby chris12 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:09 pm

Impressive first post markmd1... good job! Should help a lot of MY07ers.
chris12

Car: VW Golf GTI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24279

Postby bryan » Mon May 06, 2013 7:42 am

Sorry to dig up an old thread, I read in here some people were asking if it would work on the MY04.

I'm about to invest into doing this at the same time as installing a GROM Input adaptor, just wondering if it works?

Its an MY04 with the GX-201KE audio set.

Bry
bryan

Car: MY04 Luxury

Postby SVXdc » Mon May 06, 2013 12:22 pm

bryan wrote:Sorry to dig up an old thread, I read in here some people were asking if it would work on the MY04.
Its an MY04 with the GX-201KE audio set.

The GX-201KE does not have pins for resistive-style SWCs. It does not even have the second 8-pin socket that was added to the OEM head units in later years (both old and later models do have another 8-pin socket for the A/C controls, designated "i88").

So no, you can't simply swap in a new wheel (or swap the audio SWC buttons onto a wheel that already had the shift up/down buttons).

Some 2004 models do have audio SWCs. However, they have a component called a "LAN Module" shown on Subaru's wiring diagrams. The two wires from the SWCs go into the LAN Module, and the module connects to the OEM HU (into the 20-pin expansion bus socket -- the same one that connects to the OEM navigation system). The LAN module obviously translates the resistive SWCs into digital data. You can probably order that as a replacement part (or even grab one from a wrecked Liberty/Outback). It may be more trouble than it's worth, though. See link to the wiring diagrams in this post (kudos to Hotwire), then see the "Audio System" section, "RHD MODEL WITH SATELLITE SWITCH".

I don't know whether your GX-201KE will accept SWC commands from that LAN Module. We'd need to hear confirmation from someone else whose car has the GX-201KE and wheel had factory-fitted SWCs.

You could instead find a GX-204KH and swap that in. Plug-and-play. You'll lose the cassette deck, but gain aux-in capability (and I can provide a harness for that. E-mail me for details).

In answer to previous posts, the GX-204KH model definitely does have provision for direct connection to the audio SWCs, on the same 8-pin socket used for the aux input and night dimness cancellation signal (designated "i85" on USDM cars). As markmd1 pointed out, some AUDM cars lack a segment of the factory wiring between the steering column and that factory 8-pin plug. There's a similar situation in US 2005-2007 Legacys/Outbacks.

[EDITED] As far as I know, all USDM 2008-up models are pre-wired completely between the steering column and the appropriate harness at the OEM HU. Some AUDM models have been confirmed to lack a segment of the SWC wiring.

Incidentally, does anyone know where I can find the wiring diagrams for 2005 and later AUDM Liberty/Outback models? I have the USDM documents, but only a few bits for 2005 and later AUDM models.
1996 SVX L AWD <<>> Useful Subaru wiring info
SVXdc

Car: 1996 SVX L AWD

Postby HODMAN » Mon May 13, 2013 10:45 pm

SVXdc wrote:.....

Some 2004 models do have audio SWCs. However, they have a component called a "LAN Module" shown on Subaru's wiring diagrams. The two wires from the SWCs go into the LAN Module, and the module connects to the OEM HU (into the 20-pin expansion bus socket -- the same one that connects to the OEM navigation system). The LAN module obviously translates the resistive SWCs into digital data.

"Forgive me David for I have sinned, Its been nearly 4 years since my last attempt to fix my Mac Hu" :oops: :oops:
I may not have many posts but I have followed the forums nearly every week.

I have a pre-facelift Gen IV B-spec. (No SatNav, No cameras, 6MT)
I replaced the PF2551I Mac HU with a PF2824I Mac HU.
I am left with no SWC.

The photo above is actually the newer PF2824I Hu with my old plugs insitu.
The 8 pin i85 plug (not shown this photo) only had 1 x green wire and the plug body did not fit the PF2824I HU.
The 20 pin i86 plug (black in the photo) only had 4 x wires (Brown, Yellow, Blue/white & White) & only the SWC were affected when left unplugged from the old PF2551I HU operating.

My research found the single green wire fixed my HU light dimming when plugged into pin 2 of i26 (white plug in photo).
I could not get any of the documented resistances from combinations of the other 4 wires (from i86) to match SWC resistances.
I think from your quote above I may have one of those Lan module things & would have more success if I spliced straight into the wires bypassing the module.

I do have other photos ready if they help but I didn't want this post to get tooooo long (and reveal my bad photography).
I would have closure if you were able to shed more light on my project.

Thx in advance.
Hod
ImageImageImageImage
6MT/ 9-04 model with 07 Mcintosh HU/ Clarion Ea1251 ipod interface with Clarion CLR-AUX auxilliary input/ Console Extension/ Wagon Floor protector/ protection pack etc,etc.(SOLD)

1988 Subaru Brumby with 'Sun Pack" & WRX "style interior & 2.5inch Stainless exhaust.

2004 Ducati 1000SS (Termignoni's, upgraded ECU, Custom rear lights)(for eDUCATIonal purposes only)
HODMAN

Car: 2004 3.0R-B Wagon

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options