MY06 GT Amp connection

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

MY06 GT Amp connection

Postby Gavin_M » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and new to owning a Lib. Absolutely loving the car thus far.

My only problem is the lack of Aux input that seems to be the bane of Subaru owners everywhere. Also my head unit's CD player has basically packed it in, so I'm looking for a solution in one form or another. I'm aware that there is thread upon thread about this topic, but there's actually so many that I couldn't find one that would answer my specific needs.
I've got the Mcintosh system, with the amp. There is a 20 pin Din cable that sends the speaker signals from the stock HU to the amp. What I'm trying to find out is if there is a way to somehow wire RCA cables from an aftermarket HU to the amp via this 20 core cable, or if replacing the HU would mean replacing the amp just to get connectivity.
I'm not very hopeful to be honest, but I thought it was worth an ask. Cheers for any answers guys!

Gavin_M

Car: '06 Lib GT Wagon

Re: MY06 GT Amp connection

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:00 am

i cant give you an answer sorry mate but i would replace the amp any way, the stock one is horrible and will give you much better sound all round
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby Gavin_M » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks GONEWALKABOUT. I'm installing a parrot bluetooth kit for now but I think I'll look to replace the HU and Amp in the future.
Gavin_M

Postby andy_mac » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:20 pm

Also worth noting the speakers run at 8ohm which most aftermarket amps don't do so may cause some trouble if you just replace the HU and amp but not speakers
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Postby Gavin_M » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:38 pm

For anyone wondering...
I ended up replacing the head unit and amp.
Parts list was;
-Double Din Fascia piece with climate control
-Pioneer AVH-X1600DVD head unit
-Alpine MRX-V70 4 Channel+Mono amp
-Wiring harness, RCA leads, Power leads etc.

I didn't take photos of the install as I was doing it because I was in a hurry, bit annoyed with myself, would've been good to do a proper write up.
I'm really happy with the outcome. Looks clean, gives some great sound. I ran Aux and USB cables through the centre console. The stock speakers are holding up for now but I might look to replace them in the future.

Any questions about the install feel free to ask, I'll give you as best an answer as I can.

Gavin_M

Postby catbert6 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:15 pm

Quick question - which wiring harness / harnesses did you end up buying? Did you need a two step approach or is there a one step solution out there?
Bob
Canberra
2018 Outback 3.6R
2006 Impreza 2.0R
catbert6

Car: 2004 Liberty GT

Postby Gavin_M » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:09 pm

Hey, sorry for the late reply.
I ended up buying an open ended ebay harness and soldering it to the one that came with my head unit.
Cheers.
Gavin_M

Return to Audio options