Full fascia and head unit

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Full fascia and head unit

Postby Truebro007 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:03 am

I was looking at what fascia I could fit in my my06 gen 4 Liberty and have no idea what would actually do the job as I want a completely new head unit and need a new fascia to get the new head unit.
Help please
Truebro007

Car: Subaru Liberty MY06 Premium Pack

Re: Full fascia and head unit

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:41 am

you will need an AV panel set from ebay or japanparts i think. Then you will be able to fit a double din headunit in!
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby seanmau5 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:18 pm

This has been answered one bazillion times.. I know coz I keep answering them but..

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/14777

Under options, select A-C for pre facelift and D-F for post facelift. Alternatively, if your car currently has the McIntosh system you can purchase just the fascia for about $150 off eBay. Keep in mind that running the standard McIntosh amp with an aftermarket head unit is a little on the hard side.
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby Stevo1111 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:15 pm

seanmau5 wrote:Keep in mind that running the standard McIntosh amp with an aftermarket head unit is a little on the hard side.

damn right there. Bought the whole facia kit from japan parts, no issue, great fit, wire the headunit to the plug, only to find the audio is going through a din plug into an amp. Had to run whole new wires to all the speakers. Wasn't easy. So if you really want an after market head unit, preparefor headaches haha
Stevo1111

Car: 01 Liberty RX 05 Liberty GT

Postby seanmau5 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:15 pm

Stevo1111 wrote:
seanmau5 wrote:Keep in mind that running the standard McIntosh amp with an aftermarket head unit is a little on the hard side.

damn right there. Bought the whole facia kit from japan parts, no issue, great fit, wire the headunit to the plug, only to find the audio is going through a din plug into an amp. Had to run whole new wires to all the speakers. Wasn't easy. So if you really want an after market head unit, preparefor headaches haha

:lol: it would've been better for you to go out and buy a 5 channel amp instead of running new speaker wires.
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Postby Kevaclone » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:13 pm

So who sells just the top half of the fascia. See some on Ebay.... $130 for a bit of plastic???? surely someone sells one for a bit less than that. Any Japanese sellers??
Kevaclone

Car: Gen4 Liberty GT Premium

Postby Stevo1111 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:16 pm

seanmau5 wrote:
Stevo1111 wrote:

:lol: it would've been better for you to go out and buy a 5 channel amp instead of running new speaker wires.

Yeah well all speakers were blown anyway so had to take them out to replace anyway, so figured id just run new wires instead of spending dollars on an amp. Shes all good now, but f*** they dont make it easy to put a new unit in. In my old 3rd gen i swapped over to a double din and all the screws lined up perfect. Was the easiest install i'd ever done haha
Stevo1111

Postby seanmau5 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:25 pm

All the screw holes line up in the Gen 4 too, it's easy as pie.

I'm not sure how many times this has been posted but.............

The 'piece of plastic' on eBay is the cheapest. Japanparts charge $400ish inc postage. The eBay one is just the fascia. No brackets, no aerial adapter, no HVAC. So it's essentially a bandaid option.
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Postby scottyado » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:54 pm

Hey, New here and really interested in how i can improve the audio from my outback, thanks in advance for any assistance.

So this seems like the cheapest adapter and same style/color as my outback http://www.avojdm.com/product_info.php?products_id=104
Is there a way to change the temperature unit of the Climate control to Celcius because all the ones ive seen from avojdm and japanparts on other american forums have shown F, which i dont want.
also is an adapter harness required or is this a genuine subaru part that i can just unplug the old AC and plug straight into this?

Only think holding me back is im waiting to know what adapters ill need (I know Aerial adapter and harness adapter for new head unit, thats all i would have thought) and if the AC can show C.
Ill put up a build log with pics when i go ahead for anyone who's interested.

Thanks,
Scott
scottyado

Car: 2004 4Gen Outback

Postby seanmau5 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:01 pm

Hey Scott. They'll show Celsius, but buy it from Japanparts instead - they're tried and tested and proven.

The fascia kit is a Subaru JDM item, so your AC loom will plug straight in.
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Postby scottyado » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:25 pm

seanmau5 wrote:Hey Scott. They'll show Celsius, but buy it from Japanparts instead - they're tried and tested and proven.

The fascia kit is a Subaru JDM item, so your AC loom will plug straight in.

Thanks, Good to know. I have ordered from japanparts now so it should arrive in about 2 weeks. seems like they order the parts from someone else (probably subaru itself) because the current eta for the order is 7 days till it is at japan parts.
I'll post pics when done. :D
scottyado

Postby scottyado » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:22 pm

So Ive installed the new Kit and Head unit :)

For those that are interested here are some pics and my opinions.

The original Unit:Image

I used the Kit fron JapanParts https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/14777 Model A-C Single. Total cost around $350 AUD for part and shipping to Australa. Arrived in just over a week.
I used a Subaru to ISO Wiring Harness adapter from supercheapauto for $15
I made the mistake of buying an aerial adapter because i didnt realise there was one included with the fascia adapter kit from subaru, but it was only $13
The Head unit is a Sony XAV-612BT which i bought from JBHIFI matching the ebay price of $435 (compared to their normal price of $600)
I am very pleased with the head unit, It has plenty of inputs (BT, 2x USB 2.0 ports, 2x AUX inputs) aswell as mirrorlink which i find quite useful and in general the unit has a good interface, customizability and all the features i could want.
The Final Product
I put an AUX input and USB input wire acces into the centre console and sealed hole with a gromet from hardware store, fits nicely.
Hope this helps someone, Happy to answer any questions.
Thanks,
Scott
scottyado

Postby adz975 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:37 pm

Has anyone had any problems with any of these fascia kits from Japan Parts?
I had assumed that they'd be genuine Subaru Parts and therefore pretty much plug and play.
I did have plans this Christmas to get myself a new head unit/amp to replace the Macintosh unit in my 07 TbSTI (so I'm guessing I'd need option 11 DF duel)- but after making a few inquiries with the sales people at the local JB Hifi I was told that the installer said it was too hard and would refuse to do the install.
When I asked why, I was told a couple of reasons (none of which made much sense - something about three speakers in one door being an issue) but one was that the installer had had issues with the replacement fascia kits, that none worked properly - not too sure if 'not working properly' was related to fit or if he had been supplied with the wrong fascia kit (i.e. tried to use a single zone air con unit where a dual zone was required).

I was aware that there were issues with trying to get the Macintosh amp to work with aftermarket head units etc.

Are there any other issues with the fascia or head unit that would make life difficult - is is some other connection that would make replacing it as impossible as this installer seemed to believe?
adz975

Car: 2007 GT Spec B Tuned by Sti

Postby Stevo1111 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:46 pm

adz975 wrote:Has anyone had any problems with any of these fascia kits from Japan Parts?
I had assumed that they'd be genuine Subaru Parts and therefore pretty much plug and play.
I did have plans this Christmas to get myself a new head unit/amp to replace the Macintosh unit in my 07 TbSTI (so I'm guessing I'd need option 11 DF duel)- but after making a few inquiries with the sales people at the local JB Hifi I was told that the installer said it was too hard and would refuse to do the install.
When I asked why, I was told a couple of reasons (none of which made much sense - something about three speakers in one door being an issue) but one was that the installer had had issues with the replacement fascia kits, that none worked properly - not too sure if 'not working properly' was related to fit or if he had been supplied with the wrong fascia kit (i.e. tried to use a single zone air con unit where a dual zone was required).

I was aware that there were issues with trying to get the Macintosh amp to work with aftermarket head units etc.

Are there any other issues with the fascia or head unit that would make life difficult - is is some other connection that would make replacing it as impossible as this installer seemed to believe?

I bought the kit, was well worth it, everything fit perfect and was easy to install, but the major issue was the amp, i wasn't aware i had an amp with a din plug, so basically wired it all in, all worked well, but without any sound. So had to bypass the whole amp by running new wires from all the speakers to the headunit. Its a real pain and if you're not confindent doing it then pay someone. Once its all done then you're set to go with any headunit.
Stevo1111

Postby ferret89 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:53 pm

adz975 wrote:Has anyone had any problems with any of these fascia kits from Japan Parts?

The McIntosh system is difficult to upgrade, but not because of the AV+AC fascias... I bought my fascia from AVOJDM and it worked great no worries (looks OEM) and I've never heard of them not working
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Next

Return to Audio options