MY04-06 Mcintosh: aux in?

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: MY04-06 Mcintosh: aux in?

Postby Dastari » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:26 am

I also posted this in another thread but relavent here:
-----
I'll let you know in a few hours as i'm just getting a solution installed at the moment.

I initially went to a local Car Audio installer to get a Parrot MKI-9100 Bluetooth Handsfree kit installed. After removing the head unit they informed me that the model (PF25511) has no aux inputs at all and is not possible to get the kit installed without replacing the Head Unit (Which Requires a new Front Bezel from JDM Imports at $600AUD, New Amp, New Head Unit, Speaker Wiring Conversion Kit)..

My solution which I found on the US Legacy Forums was as follows:

* Subaru/Suzuki Portable Music Integration System (http://www.advancedice.com.au/products2/Subaru/15006) which is actually manufactured by http://www.mcarcdc.com. This device plugs into the back of the McIntosh Head Unit using the Cenet plug and will allow a 3.5mm Input, Iphone/Ipod (Inc 12v charging) integration and USB Mass Storage device. The last two can be controlled from the Head Unit or Steering Wheel controls to skip tracks etc. This was shipped overnight for around $240.00 AUD.

* Parrot MKI-9100 will be installed however they will need to manually splice power into it as I cannot find an ISO Harness in Australia that works with the plug that's on the back of the McIntosh. The Line Out wires will be converted into a stereo 3.5mm plug to go into above MCARCDC unit. These retail for $380 AUD

* I also got a ClicOn Console mount and iPhone Cradle which holds the Parrot iPhone charge plug from http://www.holdmyphone.com.au/ which was around $120 AUD delivered overnight. The Console mount fits perfectly next to the Climate Control panel on the Console.

Now it all works on the bench. The only issue is that to utilize the 3.5mm Aux Input I need to have the system running on the Cenet input (which you switch to by pressing the DISC button twice on the console)

I'm not quite sure if this was what you were after but I did see several threads going around a while back on various forums who were unable to get something like this to work. The MCARCDC unit does advertise the 3.5mm jack as being used by Sat Nav and other devices. The other advantage is that if your device can be powered by USB (even if it isn't a mass storage device like a Garman GPS etc) then you can still utilize the USB Port on the MCARDC to power your unit and use the 3.5mm jack for the Audio Input.
Dastari

Car: Subaru Liberty GT MY05 Sedan

Postby salamandersushi » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:46 am

Just ordered the xcarlink system for Suzuki - should arrive early next week and I'll install then - hopefully it'll just work. :)
salamandersushi

Car: MY04 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby XXB4XX » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:49 pm

You ordered one for a suzuki?? I had the xcarlink in my accord euro I just sold and it worked brilliantly!!

Please let us know how you go with your setup.. you have the Macintosh HU?
Back to Subaru again.. think I would have learnt my lesson the first time round!

Now - 05 Liberty GT (Sorta Stock)
Previous - 03 Liberty B4 (Modified)
XXB4XX

Car: 05 Liberty GT Auto.

Postby salamandersushi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:15 am

Sorry for the late reply, I ended up not being able to get my hands on the xcarlink system as there weren't any more Suzuki systems left in stock and I was informed it'd be a two month wait. After talking to a few car audio stores here in Perth and not getting anywhere I decided to just go ahead and order the Axxess AIP-CL-ID from America (got it over here for just under $80 AUD). I picked it up this afternoon and installation took just over an hour with it sitting very comfortably in the small compartment bin in the glove-box, providing 3.5mm audio-jack input and iPod connectivity. It works completely fine except for the occasionaly weird artifacts on the McIntosh display (as in turning the car on with the AIP-CL-ID selected will display and leave all lights lit on the McIntosh until an alternative input is selected).

My recommendation would be certainly to go for the AIP-CL-ID as price-wise nothing else matches it. Build quality is very good and I didn't have any problems at all with it.

If you plan on tackling the install yourself the following the below image helped me alot (not looking to take credit but I can't remember where I found the pic) and if you're situated in Perth I'd be more than happy to lend a helping hand if needed!

And here's the rear of my McIntosh.

Next step is to start buying up the components for the in-car PC! :mrgreen:
salamandersushi

Postby SegR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Can anyone comment on effectiveness of the mcarcdc, advanced ICE (the pic looks different to the mcarcdc unit??), xcarlink or anycarlink units? Are they reliable? Do any of them display track info on the HU display?

I've done a lot of reading of threads on this forum and some other stuff google found, but while there are plenty of comments on the Clarion adapter and the Axxess ipod interface, nobody has much feedback on the above units (other than Andy's info below). They all look like yum cha crap but it seems there may not be much choice.

andymarc wrote:There is also xcarlink as well.. Sydney Installers are Selling a bluetooth kit with ipod interface for $240 plus install. The xcarlink has ipod/BT and aux in..
http://www.sydneyinstallers.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=28

Hobba wrote:SUBARU PORTABLE MUSIC INTEGRATION SYSTEM - for McIntosh Sound System
http://www.advancedice.com.au/products2 ... ion-System

Lukovitch wrote:I had a look at the manual for this, http://www.mcarcdc.com/down.asp...
It also mentions in the manual you can only have six folders, e.g. it behaves like a CD changer... :roll:

(note: it seems to imply that directory structure is only required for SD card or USB usage, not ipod use)
andymarc wrote:Just spoke to a guy from advanced ICE about the MCARCDC. He says he has installed in MY04-06 HU's and had no issues. He also said it has USB/IPOD etc AND apparently also charges 5V apple (i.e Iphone 3GS).

Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Postby c0en » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:51 pm

My recommendation would be certainly to go for the AIP-CL-ID as price-wise nothing else matches it.

I second that. Especially with the way the exchange rate is at the moment.

I got mine in the post from the U.S today and had it in there within the hour.

Something I found interesting is, with some Pioneer and Clarion genuine combo's i've seen, the IPhone goes sortof blank and only plays the playlist that you've selected to play before plugging it in. - Which is not a problem with this particular product.
Existing: Mac aux adapter. HKS panel filter.

Future: HID and LED uprage from Leo, 20"s.
c0en

Car: MY06 3.0R B Sedan

Postby salamandersushi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:31 pm

Does anyone have weird things happen with the display of the McIntosh when switched to the aux in?
salamandersushi

Postby c0en » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:13 pm

Does anyone have weird things happen with the display of the McIntosh when switched to the aux in?

If i switch from cd to aux in, the display stays on the minutes/seconds reading from where the cd left off ... as if it were paused or something.

Other than that, it just stays blank.
Existing: Mac aux adapter. HKS panel filter.

Future: HID and LED uprage from Leo, 20"s.
c0en

Car: MY06 3.0R B Sedan

Postby salamandersushi » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:56 pm

c0en wrote:If i switch from cd to aux in, the display stays on the minutes/seconds reading from where the cd left off ... as if it were paused or something.

Other than that, it just stays blank.

Ok - mine will display stuff like volume changes, bass / treble changes etc. but whatever was changed last stays displayed on the HU - not sure if this is some wiring compatibility problem, etc.
salamandersushi

Postby EAT22B » Fri May 20, 2011 6:38 pm

SegR wrote:Can anyone comment on effectiveness of the mcarcdc, advanced ICE (the pic looks different to the mcarcdc unit??), xcarlink or anycarlink units? Are they reliable? Do any of them display track info on the HU display?

I've done a lot of reading of threads on this forum and some other stuff google found, but while there are plenty of comments on the Clarion adapter and the Axxess ipod interface, nobody has much feedback on the above units (other than Andy's info below). They all look like yum cha crap but it seems there may not be much choice.

andymarc wrote:There is also xcarlink as well.. Sydney Installers are Selling a bluetooth kit with ipod interface for $240 plus install. The xcarlink has ipod/BT and aux in..
http://www.sydneyinstallers.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=28

Hobba wrote:SUBARU PORTABLE MUSIC INTEGRATION SYSTEM - for McIntosh Sound System
http://www.advancedice.com.au/products2 ... ion-System

Lukovitch wrote:I had a look at the manual for this, http://www.mcarcdc.com/down.asp...
It also mentions in the manual you can only have six folders, e.g. it behaves like a CD changer... :roll:

(note: it seems to imply that directory structure is only required for SD card or USB usage, not ipod use)
andymarc wrote:Just spoke to a guy from advanced ICE about the MCARCDC. He says he has installed in MY04-06 HU's and had no issues. He also said it has USB/IPOD etc AND apparently also charges 5V apple (i.e Iphone 3GS).

Bumping this topic. Anyone here that has actually installed the xcarlink with their McIntosh system?

I have contacted Sydney Installers and they cannot confirm it works with our McIntosh system. They said that some people on forums say the Suzuki one works but can't confirm. They are willing to refund if it doesn't work, but I have to pay return shipping.

So anyone out there that has installed and using the xcarlink?

Cheers,

Ben
EAT22B

Car: GC8 STi Ver 5 & BP5 Liberty GT

Postby SegR » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:54 pm

EAT22B wrote:Bumping this topic. Anyone here that has actually installed the xcarlink with their McIntosh system?

I have contacted Sydney Installers and they cannot confirm it works with our McIntosh system. They said that some people on forums say the Suzuki one works but can't confirm. They are willing to refund if it doesn't work, but I have to pay return shipping.

So anyone out there that has installed and using the xcarlink?

I contacted the guys at sydneyinstallers.com.au also and they told me the same thing (after replying at 0045hrs within 10 minutes of me sending them the query) - that people have had this working with the Mcintosh stereo but they will refund me if it doesn't work.

As a result, I've purchased the xcarlink suzuki variant - I will report back in a week or two when I give it a crack!
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Postby ephesiangts » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:26 pm

OK, I am completely confused.

So is there an option that will 100% work for aux/ipod input?

If so which one is it?

Where do I get one?

How much?

Cheers
ephesiangts

Car: MY03 Liberty B4

Postby AndrewCowley » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:53 pm

ephesiangts wrote:OK, I am completely confused.

So is there an option that will 100% work for aux/ipod input?

If so which one is it?

Where do I get one?

How much?

Cheers

I have an Axxess AIP-CL-ID and it works perfectly with my McIntosh equipped 2004 GT. The iPod connector charges too but importantly you maintain control of your iPod. No need to create special playlists. And the 3.5mm stereo adapter works for non iPods too. If you can find it then thats the one to get.
MY04 GT Sedan: HKS Panel Filter. AVO TMIC. PHAT Dump Pipe. STi Quads. Pulse Racing ECU Tune. DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors. Dixcel M Pads. Spec B Bilsteins. Swift Sport Springs. Whiteline F&R Swaybars. Whiteline FSB. J Speed LCA Bushes.
AndrewCowley

Postby fr250t » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:44 pm

[/quote]I have an Axxess AIP-CL-ID and it works perfectly with my McIntosh equipped 2004 GT. The iPod connector charges too but importantly you maintain control of your iPod. No need to create special playlists. And the 3.5mm stereo adapter works for non iPods too. If you can find it then thats the one to get.[/quote]

Is this the one your refering to ?
http://advanced.m.nextag.com/Axxess-AIP ... specs-html

Wondering if that's the connection for the aux at the back of my MY07's Macintosh??
Another post somewere said it was round...
fr250t

Car: MY07 GT Spec.B 6 Speed

Postby AndrewCowley » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:02 pm

Might be it. Hard to tell. Would help if the unit itself was pictured The rear connector on my 2004 McIntosh is square like the one pictured.
MY04 GT Sedan: HKS Panel Filter. AVO TMIC. PHAT Dump Pipe. STi Quads. Pulse Racing ECU Tune. DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors. Dixcel M Pads. Spec B Bilsteins. Swift Sport Springs. Whiteline F&R Swaybars. Whiteline FSB. J Speed LCA Bushes.
AndrewCowley

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options