Carputer screen placement options

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Carputer screen placement options

Postby Burger » Tue May 20, 2008 9:42 am

I'd appreciate any comments for the following around screen placement options. I'm looking to put a carputer into a MY07 liberty that doesn't have factory sat nav and it would be great to hear some feedback on screen placement options. Having read through the legacygt carpc thread pretty full on and looking at mp3car.com at length along with all sorts of other searches, I reckon I got two options;
1) Go with a 1 DIN kit based on this kit http://www.rallitek.com/jdm1dcefa.html
2) Go with the full 2 DIN kit based on http://www.rallitek.com/dodincopa.html

Option 1), I would go with a Xenarc 700IDT and with option 2) a generic 7" in dash VGA touchscreen (undecided)

As I figure it there are pros and cons each way. Option 2) could provide a more factory type finish whereas option 1) has some appeal based on security with the ability to fold it away; out of sight, out of mind...as well as not needing to try and relocate the cubby info display.

Appreciate any feedback from anyone who has experience with either, or any other advice.
Burger

Postby tim75b » Tue May 20, 2008 12:51 pm

hey there i have fitted a 7 inch touch screen in place of the cubby but mine is a gtb so it only has a clock under the cubby so i deleted it totaly and fitted the pc under the drivers seat but its a tight fit cheers
tim75b

Car: my07 gtb

Postby CJ1177 » Tue May 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Can you give us more info please, like what brand screen did you use?
& how did you go with the install / mounting of the screen & what CPU did you use?

Chris
MY05 GT Wagon, Atalantic Blue [Team Tein] [Club Two Zero]

CJ's Wagon Pics
CJ1177

Car: MY05 GT 5MT

Postby chriskan » Tue May 20, 2008 9:39 pm

I fitted a Lilliput EBY-701 (led backlit 7" vga touchscreen) in the cubby too, using the double din dash kit. I've taken it out at the moment as I had some issues (unrelated) and took it out while it was getting fixed. Now I don't know if I can be stuffed putting it back.. lol.

Anyway, had the laptop under the drivers seat, on it's docking station, and a remote startup wire for the laptop soldered to the docking station power switch. If I fit it back, I'll probably go with a mac mini or a purpose built carpc. Still undecided. You could probably go an 8" or 9" screen with the double din kit as well, if you're willing to put some effort to take the screen out of it's casing and relocate buttons and such.

I have a couple of crappy phone pics somewhere, I'll dig them up.
MY07 GT-B T/B STi 6MT OBP
| PHAT Performance Quad Mufflers | HKS Panel Filter & removed resi + CAI pipe |
chriskan

Car: MY07 GT-B t/b STI OBP 6MT - #244/300

Postby tim75b » Tue May 20, 2008 9:59 pm

hey there its just an ebay touch screen cost like 200 and its a epia 1300 mini itx mother board with a shut down controler and dell optical drve and a sata 80 gig hard drive i modified a standard cubby bezel that i bought off of yahoo auctions japan for $10 + freight and fiberglassed and bogged the sceen bezel into the cubby bezel and sanded and painted it the original colour i will hopefully do another one later and fit an 8 inch touch screen as there is just enough room to fit it oh yeah and it runs centrafuse mobile desktop and destinator 5 navigation
tim75b

Car: my07 gtb

Postby Burger » Thu May 22, 2008 8:35 pm

Hey chriskan, would be great to see those pics. I'm trying to figure out how a standard 7" would fit/look in the 2DIN kit. Does the 2DIN kit come with necessary mounts to fit a screen nice and flush with the 2DIN front?
Burger

Postby Burger » Thu May 22, 2008 8:54 pm

...oh yeah, one more thing; what did you do to manage the relocation of the info display panel from the cubby?

Appreciate any info, thanks mate.
Burger

Postby Ric » Thu May 22, 2008 11:03 pm

Burger wrote:...oh yeah, one more thing; what did you do to manage the relocation of the info display panel from the cubby?

Appreciate any info, thanks mate.

I imagine he used one of the relocation kits, like what Tangcla is selling.
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby chriskan » Fri May 23, 2008 2:15 pm

Burger wrote:Hey chriskan, would be great to see those pics. I'm trying to figure out how a standard 7" would fit/look in the 2DIN kit. Does the 2DIN kit come with necessary mounts to fit a screen nice and flush with the 2DIN front?

Burger, it did come with some mounts, but they didn't suit the screen I was using. The screen I got however had another mount which mounted onto the frame behind the cubby easily and was exactly the right distance to mount flush against the 2 din bezel! So I didn't have to muck around with cutting up the 2 din kit etc.

I think those pics are on an old pc as I've just switched laptops, so I'll dig the other one up on the weekend and grab em.
chriskan

Postby Burger » Tue May 27, 2008 8:19 pm

Hey chriskan, any luck with locating those pics?
Burger

Postby Burger » Thu May 29, 2008 7:23 pm

Chriskan...did you mount the EBY701 with the plastic frame still on, like this guy http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery ... view&g=727
...or did you remove the frame and just mount the LCD panel?

If the latter, did you use something like this..
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/lcd-dis ... by701.html

Appreciate any info....cheers
Burger

Postby chriskan » Sat May 31, 2008 2:51 pm

Hi Burger,sorry been busy at work, haven't had a chance to check the forums.

I did it like the first guy, mounting it in the screens own frame. I didn't want to start hacking up the screen.
chriskan

Postby Burger » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:11 pm

Mate, how did you view the final result? Happy with it...looked stock?
Burger

Return to Audio options