Wagon Subwoofer Enclosure Hideaways

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: Wagon Subwoofer Enclosure Hideaways

Postby tom_kauf » Fri May 23, 2014 10:51 pm

jax0n wrote:Shit, how'd I miss that shock: !?!
Thanks dude

Is ok, no worries.

Mine has been ordered and paid for. So I'll let you know what they're like. I got the mid-level sub. Mainly because the top-of-the-range 10W6 has dual voice coils which are 4ohm each (so can either be set up in parallel for 2ohm total, or in series for 8ohm). I wanted a 4ohm setup like the stock McIntosh, and some reviews said the 10w3 (mid-range sub that CAS offer) sounds better in small enclusres. I'll obviously have to get an aftermarket sub to drive it, but I'll order that later.

There's definitely not as much info on these as eg a JL Audio Stealth box (probably because they're a much smaller company). But generally, the reviews are pretty good. So fingers crossed....
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:38 pm

It's on its way! :)
Got into NYC on 16th June (no tracking updates since then). But I leave for holidays on Thurs evening, so chances are I won't even see it before I go, which sucks... A friend will pick it up, but I won't be able to update you guys unless I get him to send a pic ;).
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby jax0n » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:07 pm

tom_kauf wrote:It's on its way! :)
Got into NYC on 16th June (no tracking updates since then). But I leave for holidays on Thurs evening, so chances are I won't even see it before I go, which sucks... A friend will pick it up, but I won't be able to update you guys unless I get him to send a pic ;).

Cool man, I'm very keen to see if these are any good.
I'm not after crazy bass these days, but it's always good to round off the tunes with some much needed low end.
What's your front stage setup? Still the Mac with additional gain?
C-Shell wrote: Are you sure it didn't just feel faster because you had spent money on it?

www.jackgilchrist.com
jax0n

Car: MY06 2.5i Liberty Wagon 5mt

Postby Gen5is » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:08 pm

I wish they (or anyone) made ones for the gen 5 wagon :(
Gen5is

Car: MY12 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22586

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:50 am

I'm back home, so I could finally take some pics of the Subwoofer unit :D. I was so excited waiting for it to arrive, but it got here the day after I left :x .
It took 4 weeks to put together, and 2 weeks to arrive here in regional NorthQLD from the US.

I've very happy with it. It feels solid, and well put together. The rear side could be a little bit better visually (has excess sticky glue/resin residue), but that won't ever be seen. The parts that will be seen look great.

Overall, it's not cheap, but still cheaper than the JL Audio StealthBoxes (which are near impossible to source any more). I assume that JL Audio has a bit better attention to detail in regard to glue/resin residue on the rear of the unit. But even I'm not really fussed about that - despite generally being very picky.

The pictures are a bit dark, but they're good enough for now. If anyone wants more detailed or better ones, let me know.

tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:05 am

Love it, please post all the relevant install links and your pics of the process if possible :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Gen5is » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:10 am

Looks great!

I opted for a slim subwoofer box, fit's perfectly behind the cargo cover mechanism on a Gen V.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AERPRO-MAX12 ... 27ce5c2210
Gen5is

Car: MY12 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22586

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:25 am

Thanks Ben. It'll might be a while before I get around to installing it, depending on work. But fingers crossed I'll have a spare weekend soon.

And god to hear you found one that fits a GenV pretty well Eric.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Not much else to update, just this :D

A JL HD750/1 (750W RMS Single Channel Amp). A bit oversized for the JL 500W RMS Sub, but it's one of only a few single channel balanced input amps (to match the McIntosh balanced system) over 500W that JL makes. And since I'll be doing a fully stealth install and mounting it under the driver's seat, I wanted the smallest and thinnest one. This is one of the smallest amps I found (only 4.9cm high, 19.95cm wide, 27.3cm long). This will clear my electric driver's seat in all positions.

They're crazy money, even from the US (US$700) :shock: , but I got lucky and found one cheap on Ebay Aus - one never installed in original box and receipt.

tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:54 pm

And to go with my stealth install, a black fuse holder for the engine bay. The sub needs a 60Amp fuse :shock: . Since I don't like the brightly coloured (and pretty blingy) Amp install kits, and I'll be crimping ring terminals onto my own wires, I'll be buying pieces separately.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XScorpion-Inlin ... 0480474401

tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:35 am

Keep it up! Loving the stealth so I want to see your power run from the battery etc :good:
bigBADbenny

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:53 am

We think alike in that regard :) . Mihai sent me a PM for a good source of inexpensive quality cables.

http://www.darvex.com

They have good Amp Wiring Kits, but the + cable is a fluro blue. Not great for stealth, but he pointed out that the first couple of metres are covered in a black sleeve. It protects the cables from engine bay heat too, which is good!

So I'll either get their kit, or buy their black power cables by the metre, and get the heat sleeve from eg here (that'd be even more stealth):
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=WH5626

And regarding routing from the battery, this is apparently the grommet most people use to go through to the interior.

This is basically the last thing I need to buy. So it might be a while before any more happens. I rush around to make sure I've bought everything, and then I don't have the time and it sits at home for a few months. Oh well, just the like the reverse cam install you helped me with - it got done eventually and is working great.

tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:06 am

I'm going to compile my extensive to do list soon... :oops:
To me the fun of modding is to actually improve on stock, truthfully this is quite a challenge :)
Thanks again for the info. :good:
Once I have power out-back for the fuel pump, I may even install a booster amp with remote volume for the Polk MM840 thats in the stash. ;)
bigBADbenny

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:35 am

Sweet :good:

Yeah, I actually really like the McIntosh system - not much I'd want to improvce on. I think it sounds great. Just the bass is lacking.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:48 am

Agreed, my Mac got really good when I Resomatted the door inner and outers, and I have some left over for inside the stock sub box.

I may do the inner rear quarter panels, under rear seat and boot floor as well.
bigBADbenny

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options