Wagon Subwoofer Enclosure Hideaways

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: Wagon Subwoofer Enclosure Hideaways

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:34 pm

The only update I have. Resomatted the Sub box.

I just undid the screws holding the sub in place, and the few for the speaker cable connector. Not difficult, just takes time.

[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby garthos » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:43 pm

Gen5is wrote:I wish they (or anyone) made ones for the gen 5 wagon :(

I've emailed them about any potential for a Gen 5 enclosure... will see how it goes

How did your ebay special work out Eric?
garthos
-stickered-

Car: MY10 GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21375&start=30

Postby garthos » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:33 pm

Good news for the Gen V Wagon owners - they are currently working on these enclosures and are quote "in the mold shop right now"
garthos
-stickered-

Car: MY10 GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21375&start=30

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:55 am

Excellent! :)
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby nytrojen » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:45 pm

garthos wrote:Good news for the Gen V Wagon owners - they are currently working on these enclosures and are quote "in the mold shop right now"

If only they made enclosures for sedans
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby blacktop™ » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:58 pm

Nice install tom, nice and neat and doesn't stand out heaps :)

How much was the 12v socket and where did you source it from if you dont mind me asking? :D
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:22 am

nytrojen wrote:
garthos wrote:Good news for the Gen V Wagon owners - they are currently working on these enclosures and are quote "in the mold shop right now"

If only they made enclosures for sedans

They make them for the Gen4 Sedans. So maybe if a few interested people get together and msg them, they'll start making the G5s too. They actually sold Gen4 Sedan boxes for both sides of the boot :).
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:33 am

blacktop™ wrote:Nice install tom, nice and neat and doesn't stand out heaps :)

How much was the 12V socket and where did you source it from if you dont mind me asking? :D

Thanks , that's what I was aiming for :). And I didn't want to waste boot space.

A kit from the dealer was $52.40 recently (a few months ago). You want Part# H6710AJ100 :D. That includes the Socket, the screw ring to secure it from the back, and the cover flap.

You can get cheaper 12V sockets of ebay. But all wagons come factory with wiring already under the trim, so buying the Subaru one means there's no cutting or wiring of the connector involved (the L shaped connector directly fits on the Subaru socket). And I've driven other cars where the 12V socket annoyed me so much, because what I had plugged in came loose or I had to wiggle it. Not worth saving a few $s and getting an inferior item imo. But that's up to each person to decide. You still have to drill a hole in the trim, so that won't be any different on a non genuine socket either. The Subaru socket comes with a nice template though.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:28 pm

Quick update:
I sold my McIntosh sub a few weeks ago, so to keep the boot looking decent I taped the stock sub Cover/Grille on with double sided tape (the panel with the mounting holes was removed). But that kept falling off despite using 3M tape.
So I decided to bite the bullet and install the new sub box. Just bolting it in place, no wiring yet. Took a few hours but finally got it done :mda:

This is the install guide for the JL Audio Stealthbox. It helps a bit with this WickedCAS install - since that doesn't come with instructions:
JL Audio Stealhbox Install Guide for Legacy Wagon

The JL Audio ones come with a grub screw to secure the sub box, the WickedCAS one does not. The JL Audio ones also come with some wax, the WickedCAS one does not. The wax is there to help you make an imprint of exactly where the screw hits the metal. That's where you drill into the rear metal panel - after removing the RH rear tail-light.

I did all the preparation for that, but wasn't keen on drilling into my car. So just before I started drilling, I thought it looked like the WickedCAS box had an imprint of where the bolt should go. That basically lined up with the existing cargo-net mounting bolt position.
BINGO I'll just use that bolt hole as a mounting point :D. Turns out the imprint was probably just where they vacuum formed the resin (was about 5cm off), but either way I used this method to secure the sub box. And it worked well. No drilling required. I got a longer bolt and used the wax method (in my case just with blutac) to get the exact hole position. And drilled into the sub box there - worked perfectly!

A washer underneath, and the sub box is secured! :D Oh and I also had to trim my Subaru boot mat, since it has a lip on it that would've totally gotten in the way of the sub sitting flat.

And as you can see, I painted the back of the sub box black. The paint didn't interact well with whatever excess resin was on the sub (bubbled a bit). But a few more coats and it looked fine.
Sorry, no final picture - was getting too dark. But looks exactly like the picture with it temporarily sitting in place .

tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby Gen5is » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:07 pm

garthos wrote:
Gen5is wrote:I wish they (or anyone) made ones for the gen 5 wagon :(

I've emailed them about any potential for a Gen 5 enclosure... will see how it goes

How did your ebay special work out Eric?

Haven't got it installed and running yet. Will post a vid and review when I do.
Gen5is

Car: MY12 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22586

Postby rynogee » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:34 am

Does anyone know the pros and cons of doing a custom sub box on the left hand side of a Gen 4 wagon? Everything I've seen (off the shelf or custom) is right hand side.

Mine doesn't have Mcintosh, so I don't know if there's any real advantage in doing the RHS over LHS (is there more cavity/space on the RHS regardless of whether a Mcintosh system went it?). Seems to be it would be better to go LHS to project sound more directly towards drivers seat?
Last edited by rynogee on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
rynogee

Car: Outback 2007

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:39 am

LHS would cover up the hideaway.
Due to that hideaway there is probably less depth to recess a big voice oil and chassis w/o cutting up the interior trim panel.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby rynogee » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:57 am

sorry, just to clarify the hideway is the extra part that holds the 12v cig lighter connector thing?

But if you were prepared to sacrifice that plastic panel it might work, or is there metal in behind it?
rynogee

Car: Outback 2007

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:49 am

Yeah, the hideaway/cubby is the storage box on the left. No Libertys in Aus came with the 12V socket back there afaik, but I know Outbacks did.
I think in terms of metal space it's the same. I added a 12V outlet on the left, and it looked the same when I had it off. With the McIntosh, there is no cutting because the trim/grille on the right just pops out. Whereas the cubby hole on the left is all part of one big moulded piece right? Either way, if you're happy to cut, it should fit either side.
It wouldn't surprise me if they designed it with their biggest market in mind (the US). I agree it would sound slightly better facing the driver. Although, with as much power as mine, it won't matter lol.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:19 am

I'm considering this to run a second MM840 due to the sheer awesome :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options