Changing MY07 McIntosh head unit with aftermarket Pioneer

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Changing MY07 McIntosh head unit with aftermarket Pioneer

Postby FXD » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi everyone, I've just bought myself a 2007 3.0r Spec B, which I am quite pleased about. But, in my previous car I’ve had the Pioneer AVHP8400BH double din touch screen, with USB, SD card, Bluetooth etc.

I’ll be wanting to install this in my Liberty. I’ve extensively read this forum, and tried to get an understanding of what is required to put this head unit in my car. So here is what I plan to do, could people who are more expert in all things Liberty tell me if this will work or if I’m dreaming and will end up in tears.

First I will buy the JDM double din unit with dual zone air con controls.

Then I will purchase an Alpine PDX V9 5 channel amp to replace the McIntosh amp under the passenger seat.

Also I’ll need three of these RCA audio cables?

So I hook up the ignition/power/earth to the Pioneer head unit, but no speaker wires. I run three RCA cables out of the head unit and plug into the Alpine amp.

This is where I get confused….so will the speaker inputs from the McIntosh amp plug straight into the Alpine amp? Is there any kind of tricky re-wiring that needs to happen from unplugging the speakers from the McIntosh and then plugging into the Alpine? I talked to a fella who runs a car audio business, and he reckons with these McIntosh systems you have to re-wire the speakers themselves because of something to do with the way the audio is split……? I was hoping that wouldn’t be the case.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!
FXD

Car: 2007 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Re: Changing MY07 McIntosh head unit with aftermarket Pionee

Postby SomeFReaK » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi,

I would think that the speakers would need to be unplugged from the Mcintosh amp and run to the new alpine amp.
SomeFReaK

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25973

Postby FXD » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:15 pm

Yeah I already figured that, I'm asking if it's possible to do without rewiring anything. You can see in the pic I posted of the Alpine amp that it has speaker outputs - I'm wondering if they are the same type of outputs as the McIntosh amp, and if they are whether you can just plug straight into the Alpine without rewiring the speakers.
FXD

Postby TomTom » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:36 pm

FXD wrote:Hi everyone, I've just bought myself a 2007 3.0r Spec B, which I am quite pleased about. But, in my previous car I’ve had the Pioneer AVHP8400BH double din touch screen, with USB, SD card, Bluetooth etc.
Also I’ll need three of these RCA audio cables?

I wouldn't use those RCA cables the quality may not be the same as you find with specifically car marketed ones. Just buy a wiring harness kit from JBHifi, this'll come with your fuse and all you need.
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/car-soun ... kit/451296

FXD wrote:So I hook up the ignition/power/earth to the Pioneer head unit, but no speaker wires. I run three RCA cables out of the head unit and plug into the Alpine amp.

This is where I get confused….so will the speaker inputs from the McIntosh amp plug straight into the Alpine amp? Is there any kind of tricky re-wiring that needs to happen from unplugging the speakers from the McIntosh and then plugging into the Alpine? I talked to a fella who runs a car audio business, and he reckons with these McIntosh systems you have to re-wire the speakers themselves because of something to do with the way the audio is split……? I was hoping that wouldn’t be the case.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

You'll need to re-wire the harness' as the stock amp and head unit harness won't plug into your new head-unit or amp. You won't need to re-wire directly to the speakers. There are a few good guides on here, i experienced some headaches due to the wiring diagrams not matching what was in my car I think you'll be fine following this guide for the amp installation: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8395

That guide shows how to replace the Amp but it's missing information on how to wire a new head unit to the factory wires. So... look at this table: http://ae64.com/Legacy-pinout.htm

Then use the guide that comes with your new head unit to match to the factory wires that previous plugged into the OEM head unit.

I've heard of the odd success story with buying an adapter harness that can be picked up from autobarn which'll plug into the OEM head unit harness and then into your new head unit harness.

More wiring info:
http://www.modifiedlife.com/2007-subaru ... schematic/

Someone that has a 3.0R might be able to verify if these are the correct wiring diagrams, otherwise pull your head unit and amp out and take a few pictures then we can confirm. You'll end up losing a channel as well when running that amp as you've got 14 speakers (no biggy, you wont notice the difference).
For sale - part out: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=26977
TomTom
formerly TomTheBomb

Car: MY08 Lib GT STI #167
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24291

Postby FXD » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. So I can't use the power and earth and fuse from the McIntosh amp for the Alpine? Also would I have to find a 5 channel wiring kit wouldn't I?

The link to the thread of the amp install was for installing in a 2.0/2.5L which doesn't come as standard - how different would it be that instead of installing an amp you are swapping out the McIntosh for the PDX V9?

Once I get the car I'll have a poke around and take pics and definitely post them here with any questions I'll have - which will surely be a lot.
FXD

Postby mihai » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:50 am

Firstly, where are you located? There are a few people that could assist further in person if you'd like.

The wire size for the power/earth and fuse of the McIntosh amp is not enough for the V9. The V9 will draw more current than what those cables can handle and will most likely blow that fuse.

The how to install amp thread was for a 2.0/2.5 without the McIntosh however installing an amp will be the same. You will need to run a power cable from the battery and you will need to run a ground somewhere. You will also need to run a remote turn on wire to the headunit from the amp.

The RCA's you will need 3 pairs. 1 pair for front channels input on amp, 1 pair for rear channel inputs and 1 pair for sub input. If your headunit only has 2 pairs of RCA's then you will have to split the front channel RCAs using Y-splitters and feed them into all 4 channels on amp.

You most likely will not find a 5 channel amp install kit. You will find general amp install kits. These will come with about 6m of power cable, 1.5m ground cable, 6m remote cable, fuse holder, fuse and 1 pair of RCA's. I'd recommend getting a 4 gauge wiring kit for the V9 (and I think the manual says the same thing) and then its you're choice if you get an extra 2 pairs of RCA's or you go and buy a 6 channel RCA cable (this is usually 3 pairs just glued together at the factory etc). I'd also recommend getting a Stinger wiring kit, but each to their own.

In terms of installing headunit, you are correct in saying that you will only need to wire up the basics. I would still use an adaptor harness from Autobarn because that way if you ever decide to sell the car, it is much simpler to install the old headunit again.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby FXD » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:54 am

Great, thanks for the info mihai. I'm in Perth, so if anyone can help or can recommend a good and non-expensive installer that would be great. This is turning out to be a bit more complicated than I thought. I've installed head units in my older cars before but never had a go at installing an amp. Looks like I will have to do a bit more research, I'm sure with a bit more reading I could do it.

The Pioneer HU has 6 x RCA outputs so all good there. I'll look at Ryda and see what wiring kits they have. I'll also need to find a steering wheel control module to fit in as well, bugger.
FXD

Postby SomeFReaK » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:54 pm

Ryda also seems to have the Aerpro steering control kit harness adapters:

http://www.ryda.com.au/Car-Audio-Wiring ... -s/195.htm

I would recommend giving it a go yourself, it sounds like you have your head around it pretty well. So im sure with patience and the good help around here, it will be fairly simple :)
SomeFReaK

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25973

Postby mihai » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:00 pm

Since you are in Perth, have a chat to the guys at A-one Audio. They do quality installs. I don't think it would be too expensive for a headunit and amp install but I guarantee it will be done properly. http://www.aoneaudio.com.au/

The amp install itself isn't that hard, that guide pretty much outlines the power side of things. But you will need to do the speaker wiring yourself. This will require just cutting the stock plug off and then inserting the correct pairs of stripped cables into the correct channel connector on the V9.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Postby gubbo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:57 am

This is something that i've done before, undone and now looking at doing again. I had an older model Alpine PDX-5 amp which worked great.

You are completely on the right track with everything that you have made in your op.
The speakers aren't all that complex, however you will need to cut the connections to the original mcintosh amp and plug the right ones into the new alpine amp.

I'm not certain if you mentioned it earlier, but you will need an amp wiring kit as well and to have a power switch source for the amp so it turns on when you turn on your head unit. The wiring kit for the amp will come with all these additional wires and a fuse to the battery etc.

It shouldn't be too difficult to find a wiring diagram although all I did to double check all my connections at the end was to setup the fade and balance on the head unit to play only from left front, see if sound was coming from there, then right front, see if sound was only coming from there etc etc until you are certain that all sound is coming from the right location.
Ride: | MY06 Subaru Lberty 3.0R-B Wagon | Obsidian Black Pearl |
Mods: gubbo's worklog
gubbo

Car: 06 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B

Postby FXD » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:51 pm

Thanks for the reply gubbo. I think it comes down to whether I can be bothered learning how to rewire the speakers, and learn how to install an amp wiring kit, as that is all new to me. I'm sure it's not difficult, but I might take mihai's advice and see what the guys at A1 Audio charge for an install.

Still haven't got the car yet (it's coming over from NSW). I'll have a bit of a tinker once I get it and will most likely pop my head back in this thread.
FXD

Postby FXD » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:22 am

Ok, so I've got all the bits I think I need:

Double din fascia kit (changed the climate control out with the McIntosh one so I keep the nicer buttons).
Pioneer AVH-P8400BH head unit (USA import, the Bluetooth chip got fried on this and would have been $260 to replace, so might upgrade the head unit to the new SPH-DA120).
Alpine PDX-V9 amplifier
Amp wiring kit
Pioneer ND-BC6 reversing camera
Metra 70-8901 harness
Metra Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel controls

So now my big question is - which wires do I connect with the harnesses? Obviously the yellow, red and black connect between the Pioneer harness and the Metra car harness, and none of the puprle, green, white and grey speaker wires need to be connected. But which wires on the ASWC do I connect to the Metra harness? I read on an old post that pins 3 and 9 are the steering wheel controls on the car.

Also the Pioneer harness has an illumination dimmer wire (orange and white), reversing input wire, mute wire and blue wire, can anyone help me out with what to do with those?

Cheers

FXD

Postby mihai » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:43 pm

FXD wrote:Also the Pioneer harness has an illumination dimmer wire (orange and white), reversing input wire, mute wire and blue wire, can anyone help me out with what to do with those?

Illumination dimmer wire you connect to the cars light circuit. I THINK its a purple wire with silver stripes but don't quote me on that. This is to dim the headunit brightness when you turn your lights on.
Reversing input wire you connect to the positive side of the reverse lights. This is to auto switch to the reversing camera when you engage reverse.
Mute wire is an input from an external bluetooth module (such as parrot etc) If you don't have one of these, then don't worry. If the headunit has internal bluetooth, then it will automatically mute regardless of this cable.
Blue wire is usually the remote turn on wire which you connect to your amps 'remote' input. This is to tell the amp to turn on. You may find that you may need to also connect this to the antenna amplifier.

All of these are mentioned in the pioneer manual.
In all honesty though, if you're not sure on what goes where etc, you would be best of taking it to a professional installer. Pay the extra buck but at least you'll know it will work without any issues.
mihai

Postby FXD » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:41 pm

Thanks mihai. I pretty much figured as much for what you wrote. I don't think I am going to connect the illumination dimmer wire as I drive with my headlights on during the day, and that would make the screen too dim. I read a thread which said the scroll wheel (to the right of the steering wheel) that cancels the dimness of the stock HU with lights on doesn't work on aftermarket HUs, which is a bugger.

I have a mate who is a sparky and knows his way around car amplifier installs to help me over the Xmas break, so that will be a big help. But I'm trying to get my head around it as much as possible at the moment.

I don't suppose you know how to wire the Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel controls to the Metra harness? I've googled it and tried to read threads here, but haven't found anything so far. The Axxess website has 'official' instructions for a Subaru Legacy but the instructions are of an 8 pin diagram, not 14 pin.

SVXdc's website gives details on how to install it for a 20 pin plug, not a 14 pin plug damnit! http://ae64.com/aswc-install.htm
FXD

Postby crazyricochet » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:07 pm

FXD wrote:Thanks mihai. I pretty much figured as much for what you wrote. I don't think I am going to connect the illumination dimmer wire as I drive with my headlights on during the day, and that would make the screen too dim. I read a thread which said the scroll wheel (to the right of the steering wheel) that cancels the dimness of the stock HU with lights on doesn't work on aftermarket HUs, which is a bugger.

I have a mate who is a sparky and knows his way around car amplifier installs to help me over the Xmas break, so that will be a big help. But I'm trying to get my head around it as much as possible at the moment.

I don't suppose you know how to wire the Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel controls to the Metra harness? I've googled it and tried to read threads here, but haven't found anything so far. The Axxess website has 'official' instructions for a Subaru Legacy but the instructions are of an 8 pin diagram, not 14 pin.

SVXdc's website gives details on how to install it for a 20 pin plug, not a 14 pin plug damnit! http://ae64.com/aswc-install.htm

You may be very lucky, I have wired the axxess metra in both of my liberties and the wires you need to do ARE!
This information was insanely hard to get ahold of when I was installing my aftermarket audio.

Connect ASWC RED wire to 12v Switched/ignition - duh

Connect ASWC Black wire to Ground - duh

Connect ASWC White/Green wire to ground

Connect ASWC Gray/Red wire to Violet/White wire on Car SWC harness

Connect Car SWC Harness Orange/White wire to Ground

On the 2.5i the orange/white and violet/white swc wires were on a seperate 8pin harness but on the McIntosh system they were on the 14pin harness but the colours were still orange/white and violet/white akin to this photo.

If you are still scratching your head I might be kind enough to pull apart my dash and take an image for you to peruse.

Happy button pushing!
Attachments
mcintosh radio pinout.jpg
mcintosh radio pinout.jpg (196 KiB) Viewed 23498 times
crazyricochet

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30231

Next

Return to Audio options