Updating your Pre-FL McIntosh with Post-FL Mcintosh solved.

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Updating your Pre-FL McIntosh with Post-FL Mcintosh solved.

Postby HODMAN » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:10 pm

Thought I might finally be able to make a considerable contribution to the forum after many years of sucking information from it :oops: .
It might even be too late to interest people but I finally got the SWC in my pre-FL wagon to work with the post FL Mcintosh installed.
(Thank you to all those who posted relevant info on this site as none of it was mine. I only had to find the right pieces and put my little jigsaw together.)

I have a pre-facelift Gen IV B-spec. (No SatNav, No cameras, 6MT)
I replaced the PF2551I Mac HU with a PF2824I Mac HU.
I am left with no SWC.
The left A/C knob does nothing and the HU dimmer no longer dims.
It was almost plug-n-play :angry2: .

The 8 pin i85 plug only had 1 x green wire and the plug body did not fit the PF2824I HU.
The 20 pin i86 plug only had 4 x wires (Brown, Yellow, Blue/white & White) & only the SWC were affected when left unplugged from the old PF2551I HU.

My research found the single green wire fixed my HU light dimming when plugged into pin 2 of i86.
(Sorry about upside down and blurred)

Further on after much trolling on the site, SWC mods were posted and this picture:
(thanks to "m48")

The new HU wiring diagram showed the Orange/white & Purple wires came from pins 3 & 9 of plug i26 and led to the SWC.
I did not have those colours from i26 of my old HU.
So the new HU needed signals to plug i26 pins 3 & 9 (But I couldn't find them).
Other Wiring diagrams showed the Brown & Yellow wires in plug i86 for SWC signals from some strange "LAN" module (What was that suppose to be?)(I had Brown & Yellow, were these the same?).

The picture was of the LAN module.
I found the LAN module and found the missing link to my dilemma.

The Brown & Yellow from my old HU plug was right next to the Orange/white & Purple wires (from the SWC) and all 4 were plugged into the LAN module.
I tested the resistances correctly and (I'm not real bright but) all I had to do was to join the appropriate colours to by-pass the LAN module.
Just move the Brown & Yellow wires from i86 to i26 for the newer HU and BINGO! :air_kiss:

I tested the SWC and went and had a well earned drink because I had been trolling for these jigsaw pieces for about 4 years.(not real quick either).

Thx anyhow for anyone that helped in my journey.
Hope this might help someone else upgrade their HU from a pre-FL HU to a post-FL HU.
I have had a good run of it so far with no failures of the newer FL HU.

Cheers
ImageImageImageImage
6MT/ 9-04 model with 07 Mcintosh HU/ Clarion Ea1251 ipod interface with Clarion CLR-AUX auxilliary input/ Console Extension/ Wagon Floor protector/ protection pack etc,etc.(SOLD)

1988 Subaru Brumby with 'Sun Pack" & WRX "style interior & 2.5inch Stainless exhaust.

2004 Ducati 1000SS (Termignoni's, upgraded ECU, Custom rear lights)(for eDUCATIonal purposes only)
HODMAN

Car: 2004 3.0R-B Wagon

Re: Updating your Pre-FL McIntosh with Post-FL Mcintosh solv

Postby trolley » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:32 pm

Good work Detective McIntosh... You did earn that drink (and the 4 years worth of drinks :lol: )
trolley

Car: 2007 GT Spec B

Postby GTbee » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:20 pm

But is it worth upgrading to a post FL McIntosh? Apart from MP3 compatibility what are the benefits, if any?
GTbee

Car: 2005 3.0R-B 6 speed Blue Sedan

Postby HODMAN » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:43 pm

GTbee wrote:But is it worth upgrading to a post FL McIntosh? Apart from MP3 compatibility what are the benefits, if any?

Speaking for myself;
Back when I didnt know what I know now, I needed the simplest replacement for plug and play.
I didnt even know there was something called a post FL model.
When it arrived I thought the extra features would be great.
Result, it wasnt plug and play but it got me out of trouble.

At least now I have the option of normal aux set-up and the option of Mp3 and now that I know the wiring fix it is quite simple for anyone who wants to keep the OEM look.

I would have loved a 'flash' 2 din engineered system but I had no resources to accomplish that.

So if any has any questions about the conversion, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers
HOD
ImageImageImageImage
6MT/ 9-04 model with 07 Mcintosh HU/ Clarion Ea1251 ipod interface with Clarion CLR-AUX auxilliary input/ Console Extension/ Wagon Floor protector/ protection pack etc,etc.(SOLD)

1988 Subaru Brumby with 'Sun Pack" & WRX "style interior & 2.5inch Stainless exhaust.

2004 Ducati 1000SS (Termignoni's, upgraded ECU, Custom rear lights)(for eDUCATIonal purposes only)
HODMAN

Postby ellfra » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:43 am

Greg, hi. I just started on this adventure and discovered the same issues you describe, additionally the single zone A/C control does not work so the unit has been pulled out until I can sort that issue as well - meanwhile your post is pure gold and has helped reduce the wife's ridicule for having "purchased a dud"!

Cheers,
Geoff
ellfra

Car: 0630RSB, 2010 A5Cab, 2013 SQ5

Postby HODMAN » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:23 pm

Geoff

Glad it helped.
If there are any questions just let me know.

Cheers
Hod
ImageImageImageImage

HODMAN

Postby ellfra » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:00 pm

Hod, one question, can you confirm for me that the HVAC controls from the post F/L worked straight up with your pre F/L hardware? I can't get the new HVAC to work but am not sure if its because of a faulty unit or a compatibility issue.

Regards,
Geoff
ellfra

Postby HODMAN » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:57 am

Geoff

Sorry to take so long to reply.

The HVAC was plug n play for me with a couple of conditions;

1. Accept the fact that I do not have dual zone so only the drivers side control knob had any affect.
2. Come to grips with the notion that the passenger side knob was now a dummy knob.

So far its all been acceptable.
I dont have any technical equipment to measure these properly and my wife tends to just set it on the lowest value most of the time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Hod
ImageImageImageImage

HODMAN

Postby ellfra » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks Hod, understood. I probably need to confirm the 'new' HVAC is functioning properly before I go ahead with any more changes.
Thanks again for your detailed post, I'm sure it has helped a bunch of people with the swap.
Regards,
Geoff
ellfra

Return to Audio options