McIntosh stacker clicks on start up

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

McIntosh stacker clicks on start up

Postby Alexip » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:30 pm

I think the cd mechanism is broken or there is a cd stuck inside, now every time I start the car it tries to reload and clicks annoyingly for around 10 seconds.

I don't care about using the cd player but am over the noise. I have tried disconnecting the battery but it didn't help.

Any other ideas to stop this?
Alexip

Car: Wrx and GT

Re: McIntosh stacker clicks on start up

Postby wcefan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:38 pm

Alexip wrote:I think the cd mechanism is broken or there is a cd stuck inside, now every time I start the car it tries to reload and clicks annoyingly for around 10 seconds.

I don't care about using the cd player but am over the noise. I have tried disconnecting the battery but it didn't help.

Any other ideas to stop this?

This happened to mine, but it was after I fucked around the inside of the stacker itself. One of the trays has most likely come off it's guides and is sitting on an angle. I had to disassemble the stacker trays and reassemble it. There's 3 springs which are a pain in the ass. If you're confident in taking it apart, open up the stacker cover (after removing the radio of course) and see if the trays are aligned properly. If one of them is off line, you might be able to nudge it back into place, if not then you'll need to remove the top trays until you get to the crooked tray, align it correctly and put the other trays back on. You shouldn't have to worry about any springs unless the crooked tray is on of the bottom 3 trays.

If it's not that then you might need to open up the cover, plug the stereo back in and turn the car on so you can see what part isn't moving or is blocked. Or just remove disconnect the CD stacker from the headunit (ribbon cable).

Obviously if you try this you may end up making it worse so only attempt if you're confident.
wcefan

Car: MY06 Liberty GT tbSTI #25

Postby steventhechef » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:40 pm

The vehicle is an 09 Gen4 Liberty GT Spec B. I have the same issue with my McIntosh 6 stack CD player - whirring and clicking on start up. So annoying. I bought it like this so I was unsure of the type of CD's if what was stuck.

I pulled the entire unit from the dash and started to unscrew the top cover to the stacker. I pulled the CDs out from the stacker - there were 6 Country and Western CDs stuck in there!! No wonder it was having a hissy fit with that selection. I don't like Country or Western so binned the music selection.

Everything appeared to line up and the trays looked even but when I reinstalled the unit it continued to do the same whirring and clicking on start up Grrrrrrrrrr!

Any thoughts from the learned crowd out there?? Thanks in advance
Bacon and Eggs - A days work for a chicken - a lifetime commitment for a pig
steventhechef

Car: GT Spec B & a Liberty 2.5 wagon

Postby andy_mac » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:07 pm

There's always the chance its not just the CD changer. The vents have a motor that goes haywire sometimes and will click like that, mine does, not every time though. Get the feeling it might even do it when the A/C isn't actually turned on on startup. Pretty sure Benny had a writeup, or atleast something about doing his one somewhere
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Postby jiggabite » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:14 pm

I literally did this today. Mine had a stuck disk and wouldn't load.
Pulled the whole thing apart and ended up removing the first CD. Don't know if that was the only thing that did it, but when I plugged it all back in, all the CDs came out and now plays them :)
jiggabite

Car: MY07 Liberty GTB Sedan Pearl White

Postby Djmaster05 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi guys,

I have a mate who has a disk stuck and needs to pull apart the stacker to fix it, are there any diagrams or help for pulling apart the stacker? Any tips or pitfalls that may help the process?

Any and all help is much appreciated.
Djmaster05

Car: 2007 Liberty GT Spec. B Tuned by STi

Postby jiggabite » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:51 pm

You'll need regular and small Philips head screw drivers, patience and time. Flat heads are also required to pry some things open.
Try unplugging then replugging the stereo from the loom. May help reset it
jiggabite

Car: MY07 Liberty GTB Sedan Pearl White

Return to Audio options