Mcintosh Amp and aftermarket Speakers

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Mcintosh Amp and aftermarket Speakers

Postby Travis_gib0 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:58 pm

gday guys

just thought id post here before i rip apart my liberty.

iv got a set of JL Audio C2600 Splits left over from my previous car i sold.
now im actually quite happy with how the factory sound system sounds in my lib. but im wondering since i have these lying around i though of maybe putting them in there.
how would the mcintosh amp run these ? iv read the mcintosh speakers are 8ohm and these jls like most aftermarket are 4ohm.. will i be damaging the amp by running these ? another question is would these give out better sound that the factories since there a 4way sysstem in the front doors. ? i guess id have to cover up the hole where the midrange goes ? or leave it in there and just disconnect it. i find the woofers in the doors actuall give out a fair bit of bass. im just concerned that the JL's i have wont have as much punch since theyll be getting underpowered by the mcintosh unless anyone has any figures on what the mcintosh amp puts out ?

any info on people whove upgraded the speakers but kept the mcintosh amp would be good :)
Travis_gib0

Car: MY05 Liberty 3.0R, 1989 Honda Legend
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24555

Re: Mcintosh Amp and aftermarket Speakers

Postby 007 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:45 pm

I actually have the same JL splits lying around from my previous car as well, and had thought about doing the same thing! :P

BUT

Don't change them, the stock setup is made to match, and unless you change to an aftermarket amp, the stock speakers will sound better than the JL's. Also, the four speakers in your front doors, are (top to bottom) tweeter, tweeter, driver, subwoofer. The bottom ones are 6" subs, not drivers, so the JL splits will sound terrible if you put them in. Basically, don't change anything unless you're buying the correct setup to replace it with.

As another option for improvement, this is what i did:

I added my 12" sub and (sub)amp, (also JL Audio) from my previous car to the lib. I found that with the extra low end from the new, larger sub, I could reduce the bass going through the rest of the system making everything step up a notch in clarity. I can also crank the volume to 40 and its super loud and clear as day. To add the new sub I spliced into the parcel shelf sub signal in the boot, ran that to a high to low converter, then into my sub amp. The rest is hooked up as normal with my remote wire tapped to the cigarette lighter. If you'd like pics let me know.

The whole system sounds perfect for me and is plenty loud. Since I already had the sub and amp, the only stuff I had to buy was wiring and the converter. Around $75 from Jaycar with plenty of wire left over. Big improvement for pretty cheap IMO.

Car: MY98 GC8 WRX, MY06 Forester XT

Postby mihai » Sun May 26, 2013 11:23 am

007 wrote:Don't change them, the stock setup is made to match, and unless you change to an aftermarket amp, the stock speakers will sound better than the JL's. Also, the four speakers in your front doors, are (top to bottom) tweeter, tweeter, driver, subwoofer. The bottom ones are 6" subs, not drivers, so the JL splits will sound terrible if you put them in. Basically, don't change anything unless you're buying the correct setup to replace it with.

Top to bottom is Squaker, Tweeter, 4" driver, 6" driver. They are no where near a sub.

If powered correctly, a decent set of splits will sound better than whats currently in there. However in saying that, if you just want to replace the speakers without changing the amp, then whats currently there will be better.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby 007 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:53 pm

mihai wrote:Top to bottom is Squaker, Tweeter, 4" driver, 6" driver. They are no where near a sub.

I pulled my door trims apart two days ago, and the bottom speakers are (in my case) specifically woofers. Although they have been replaced with an aftermarket brand, since they seem adequately powered and put out a full, clear sub sound, (with all stock connections untouched) I naturally assume they replaced what was originally the same set up.

mihai wrote:If powered correctly, a decent set of splits will sound better than whats currently in there. However in saying that, if you just want to replace the speakers without changing the amp, then whats currently there will be better.

Correct, apologies if I was unclear how I stated this. In OP's question, he sais he does not want to change the amp. So the stock speakers will be better matched.

Car: MY98 GC8 WRX, MY06 Forester XT

Postby Travis_gib0 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:31 pm

yeah definatly wont be replacing them now unless i have an aftermarrket amp. but tbh weighing up the cost of all of it im going to go the Tablet in the cubby route and leave the sound the way it is since im happy with it already
Travis_gib0

Car: MY05 Liberty 3.0R, 1989 Honda Legend
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24555

Postby plattsy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:31 pm

007 wrote:
mihai wrote:Top to bottom is Squaker, Tweeter, 4" driver, 6" driver. They are no where near a sub.

I pulled my door trims apart two days ago, and the bottom speakers are (in my case) specifically woofers. Although they have been replaced with an aftermarket brand, since they seem adequately powered and put out a full, clear sub sound, (with all stock connections untouched) I naturally assume they replaced what was originally the same set up.

mihai wrote:If powered correctly, a decent set of splits will sound better than whats currently in there. However in saying that, if you just want to replace the speakers without changing the amp, then whats currently there will be better.

Correct, apologies if I was unclear how I stated this. In OP's question, he sais he does not want to change the amp. So the stock speakers will be better matched.

Thread dig!

So are you saying the 6inch woofer at the bottom had been changing, leaving original wiring and the other 3 speakers intact?!

Would be very interested to know what speakers where in there! Can't find many 6inch 8 ohm woofers on the market....
plattsy

Car: gf8 wrx 05 lib gt 02 bug wrx

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:00 pm

Just wondering what your aim is paul? :)

I wouldnt say its worth the money to upgrade your speakers without the amp. Thats my opinion and people will say "but it was so much clearer" If your going to do it, get an amp that is capable of using the speakers potential. You wont regret it
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby mihai » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:55 pm

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:Just wondering what your aim is paul? :)

I wouldnt say its worth the money to upgrade your speakers without the amp. Thats my opinion and people will say "but it was so much clearer" If your going to do it, get an amp that is capable of using the speakers potential. You wont regret it

^^This!!

There is no point in upgrading just the speakers. The speakers that are currently there are matched to the amp that is driving them.

If you go and change the speakers, the new ones will most likely be under powered and although they may sound a bit clearer, they wont be using their full potential.

If you want to go louder and clearer, it would be better to change the amp and/or headunit to achieve this. I know of people that have changed just the headunit and rewired the speakers to be connected directly to the headunit (bypassing the amp and losing the factory sub) and have reported that overall the sound is alot better. Even more bass etc.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Return to Audio options