My In-Dash Nexus 7 Project

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: My In-Dash Nexus 7 Project

Postby NhojM » Wed May 15, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks guy's just not comfortable doing the ROM flash myself and looking for a option to provide reliable power to the Nexus Tablet to ensure it charges at all times, space maybe another consederation with the invertor :)
NhojM

Car: Liberty GT

Postby NhojM » Wed May 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Statts wrote:
NhojM wrote:Guy's would you see any problems using a 12/240 Volt Pure Sine Wave Invertor to get around the charging/power issues?

As HyRax said, this is completely over the top. DC-DC power supply is what you want. If you want to try cheap, go with the basic 12v-5v adapter I listed before from ebay. If you want your power supply to be rock solid and give no issues, then the Mini-Box DCDC-USB is the way to go. Pretty sure I have already mentioned both of these. One is a $15 option and one is a $110 option, yet you've started looking at over-complicating things with a $190 option.....

Thanks agin for your patience with a total non tech minded person. If I use a 12v-5V adapter or Mini-Box DCDC-USB can I use the Tablet without any power(flat battery charging) issues or am I still going to need to flash the rom? As mentioned not confident flashing the ROM myself

Last question, when monting the tablet do I put a hard cover on the tablet and glue the brackets to the hard cover?

Cheers,

John
NhojM

Postby Statts » Wed May 15, 2013 3:22 pm

NhojM wrote:Thanks agin for your patience with a total non tech minded person. If I use a 12v-5V adapter or Mini-Box DCDC-USB can I use the Tablet without any power(flat battery charging) issues or am I still going to need to flash the rom? As mentioned not confident flashing the ROM myself

Last question, when monting the tablet do I put a hard cover on the tablet and glue the brackets to the hard cover?

Cheers,

John

No problems, I'm here to help. You are going to need to flash the ROM if you want this tablet to operate in a desirable manner for fixed installation. Without it, you won't have support for USB connections such as DAC, HDD etc etc, you won't have firm sleep and airplane mode when not charging (loss of less than 1% battery overnight), you won't have fast charging support and many many other features.

If you are really worried about flashing the tablet, so long as you pay for postage both ways, send it to me and I will flash it for you.

Put the case on the tablet, line it up with the 7" hole so everything is square, then rest the brackets on the back of the hard cover. Use some Liquid Paper to mark the bolt holes in the vents and the outline of the bracket on the back of the hard case for glue position.
MY06 3.0R-B
Cusco bars & links, AVO mounts, JSpeed LCA bushes
Prova intake, HKS resonator trumpet, HKS panel filter
E85 KiDo tuned
Statts

Car: 05 3.0R-B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14975

Postby jakey » Wed May 15, 2013 4:14 pm

just as a suggestion statts could buy it in Adelaide and then you only pay shipping once.
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby champ » Wed May 15, 2013 5:26 pm

subscribed... I thought there was a button at the top corner of the forum page where I can click to subscribe / bookmark a thread :?
champ
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT Spec.B Tuned by STi 6MT OBP

Postby NhojM » Wed May 15, 2013 6:11 pm

Statts your a champion mate, thanks so much.

Dropped into a car audio shop on the way home from work, the guy said that the Subaru Liberty GT Macintosh head units amplifier is locked and due to this I won't be able to get low, mid and high audio tones out of the cars Amplifier via the tablet!?

Not sure if any of the components previously mentioned (FSL-21) will get around this issue?

Also said my car insurance would be wiped in the event of an accident due to no hand break isolation on tablets, tried to con me into buying a $1,000 Parrot System!!

Cheers,

John
NhojM

Postby mynameisdaniel » Wed May 15, 2013 6:18 pm

NhojM wrote:Also said my car insurance would be wiped in the event of an accident due to no hand break isolation on tablets, tried to con me into buying a $1,000 Parrot System!!

Yeah it's a very easy thing for insurance companies to pick on :( On my CarPC it actually locks certain features while the GPS shows the car is in motion (can be bypassed). There might be something similar for the tablets if you're worried about the legalities.
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT tbSTi Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15835

Postby Statts » Wed May 15, 2013 8:27 pm

jakey wrote:just as a suggestion statts could buy it in Adelaide and then you only pay shipping once.

Also a possibility, or buy online and get it shipped to me.

NhojM wrote:Statts your a champion mate, thanks so much.

Dropped into a car audio shop on the way home from work, the guy said that the Subaru Liberty GT Macintosh head units amplifier is locked and due to this I won't be able to get low, mid and high audio tones out of the cars Amplifier via the tablet!?

Not sure if any of the components previously mentioned (FSL-21) will get around this issue?

Also said my car insurance would be wiped in the event of an accident due to no hand break isolation on tablets, tried to con me into buying a $1,000 Parrot System!!

Cheers,

John

No problems.

Re: the amplifier - He is full of shit and trying to angle at selling you something else. USB DAC + FSL-21 sounds incredible.

Re: Insurance - Can't really comment, don't want to give you bad advice either way. I think you'd have a fairly good case to argue it as a navigation unit etc, but YMMV.

mynameisdaniel wrote:Yeah it's a very easy thing for insurance companies to pick on :( On my CarPC it actually locks certain features while the GPS shows the car is in motion (can be bypassed). There might be something similar for the tablets if you're worried about the legalities.

Good idea, I might look into that.
MY06 3.0R-B
E85 KiDo tuned
Statts

Postby pgardiye » Sun May 19, 2013 7:44 pm

Hey Statts,

Thank you for helping out everyone with questions so far. I started installing a nexus to my liberty as well. So far I got AUX working with tablet and power connected. I'm using dc-dc USB adaptor. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/waterproof-DC-D ... 460e89a1e4). However my issue is tablet doesn't go to deep sleep as per Timur's ROM features. I can see that external power is available when I go to USB host options and also it says host is charging etc... but host mode says off. I have FI mode ticked and also tried without. Any idea mate?

Statts wrote:Well, I know worklogs are normally done over time with updates now and then showing the progress, but as the Internet says, "Ain't nobody go time fo' dat!".

I had been thinking of putting a tablet in 2005 Liberty 3.0R-B for a while, ever since seeing some people putting carputers in an area of the dash seemingly made for it. I figured given how far the Android OS, and the apps for it had come, a tablet had to be a better option, requiring less hardware, and having more car-focused software available.

Did a little research and quickly came across [url="http://rootzwiki.com/topic/37755-timurs-kernel-usb-rom-usb-host-power-management-usb-audio/"]Timur's USB ROM[/url] OS. It's based on CyanogenMod 10.1, and the developer had been hard at work getting Nexus 7's to charge and provide USB OTG connectivity at the same time. The progress was really good so I decided to go with it. Shortly after, I found a deal on OzBargain for a price-matched Nexus 7 32gb WiFi for $204. Bang, that bargain sealed the deal.

In the 2 weeks it took for my dash parts to facilitate the install to arrive, even more advances were made on the ROM, making it possible for the Nexus 7 to deep sleep and airplane mode when not charging, and wake up and de-airplane mode when charging. That meant no need for Tasker or anything fancy, the ROM is truly incredible in what it provides for fixed installations.

I'm a bit fussy when it comes to music, so when I saw that the USB-ROM supported USB DAC's there was no other option, I grabbed a reasonable USB DAC and never looked back. A 1TB external HDD takes care of music and video storage.

Parts used:

Nexus 7 with Timur's USB-ROM
Subaru 7" AV Panel Kit
Subaru Info Panel Relocation Kit
Electric Design FSL-21 McIntosh AUX in unit
Mini-Box DCDC-USB Power Supply
USB OTG Y-Cable
Behringer USB DAC
4-port USB Hub

Anyway, pics or ban and all that, here you go...

Genuine 7" AV Panel kit, ordered from JapanParts

Info Panel relocated from where the screen now sits to where the ashtray used to sit

Required wiring including the Mini-Box DCDC-USB power supply (for a more robust power source), 12v constant lead from fuse box, acc power lead from the old cigarette lighter plug on the dash loom and the DCDC-USB's output plug with a female USB socket soldered on.

Mounting was done with a hard case for the tablet, with 90deg brackets araldite'd on. USB cable goes into air vent, then back out again behind the tablet. Holes silicone-d up to stop air leaks.

All mounted up, slightly crooked at the time of this photo, but that was squared up prior to install.

Everything pulled out of dash ready for install. Not as daunting as it looks really.

Wiring in the top area behind where the Nexus is mounted. Here is where the DCDC-USB, 4-port hub and USB DAC live.

1TB HDD now lives in this area, and the switch at the back allows me to leave the tablet powered for charging, or playing while the car is off.

Here it is all installed.

APPS:

Torque Pro

Google Maps Navigation

Google Maps

TuneIn Radio

Tablet Talk

I guess that's it for now. I've probably missed out a whole lot of details, so if there is anything you'd like to know just ask. Feel free to compliment, ask questions or tear it to shreds. I'm all ears.
pgardiye

Car: Liberty

Postby Statts » Mon May 20, 2013 11:22 am

pgardiye wrote:Hey Statts,

Thank you for helping out everyone with questions so far. I started installing a nexus to my liberty as well. So far I got AUX working with tablet and power connected. I'm using dc-dc USB adaptor. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/waterproof-DC-D ... 460e89a1e4). However my issue is tablet doesn't go to deep sleep as per Timur's ROM features. I can see that external power is available when I go to USB host options and also it says host is charging etc... but host mode says off. I have FI mode ticked and also tried without. Any idea mate?

G'day.

Your situation sounds familiar. Have you posted to the RootzWiki USB-ROM forum thread in the past few days? My first reaction is to point my finger at that power supply, but I won't jump to conclusions too quickly.

What release of USB-ROM are you using? And you are just using the ROM right, you didn't install the ROM and separate kernel as some have been doing?

The picture on the Ebay sale page isn't too clear, can you tell me what's happening with the USB-A Female and the Micro-USB Male? How are they wired to the power supply?

Where does your power supply get it's power from in the car?

What USB OTG Y-cable are you using?

Can you draw up a quick sketch of how your wiring is done?
MY06 3.0R-B
E85 KiDo tuned
Statts

Postby pgardiye » Mon May 20, 2013 12:33 pm

Hey Statts,

Thank you for your reply. I have been reading rootzwiki past couple of days and can see other people are having exact same issue. Some said it was related to power supply, but some got it working after flashing power manager which Timur updated.

I'm using USB rom, didn't install a separate kernel. I downloaded latest experimental one and tried that from the start. Everything else is fine except tablet doesn't go to usb host mode. So I downloaded powermanager package last night and flashed it to see if that would make any difference, unfortunately not :( . Do you think may be I should go to stable release which was released on April?

Ok I will try draw up a diagram tonight when I get back home (At work now :) ). Basically I'm using that adapter I bought from Ebay to power nexus and using 3.5mm audio jack with AUX input for the car audio. I'm not using any external USB hard drive or USB hub. Currently I tapped into cigarette lighter pins to get power for the adapter. Not using USB-A female for anything, using micro-USB male jack to charge the tablet. Hope that make sense.

Statts wrote:
pgardiye wrote:Hey Statts,

G'day.

Your situation sounds familiar. Have you posted to the RootzWiki USB-ROM forum thread in the past few days? My first reaction is to point my finger at that power supply, but I won't jump to conclusions too quickly.

What release of USB-ROM are you using? And you are just using the ROM right, you didn't install the ROM and separate kernel as some have been doing?

The picture on the Ebay sale page isn't too clear, can you tell me what's happening with the USB-A Female and the Micro-USB Male? How are they wired to the power supply?

Where does your power supply get it's power from in the car?

What USB OTG Y-cable are you using?

Can you draw up a quick sketch of how your wiring is done?
pgardiye

Postby pgardiye » Mon May 20, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi Statts,

Below is how I have connected nexus 7 to my car currently. I don't have a USB hub or OTG cable. No other USB devices, just purely using nexus 7 only with the DC-DC USB charger. And have audio via 3.5mm to AUX on stereo.
pgardiye

Postby pgardiye » Mon May 20, 2013 7:56 pm

I think I know why mine doesn't change to host mode. According to below link nexus will only trigger power manager when using a OTG cable.
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/37755-timurs ... try1146700

So I will have to use an USB OTG cable with DC-DC USB power in order to get nexus in host mode?

pgardiye wrote:Hi Statts,

Below is how I have connected nexus 7 to my car currently. I don't have a USB hub or OTG cable. No other USB devices, just purely using nexus 7 only with the DC-DC USB charger. And have audio via 3.5mm to AUX on stereo.
pgardiye

Postby Statts » Tue May 21, 2013 8:17 am

Hence my question as to what OTG cable you were using :D

Glad you sorted it out. DCDC-USB is not a definite necessity. You can try the power supply you have, and get an OTG cable that will work in-line with what you have. Straight OTG cables aren't common with Micro-F to Micro-M, so why not grab a USB OTG y-cable as that has the ends you want and will allow you to add storage or other USB accessories down the track if you so wish.
MY06 3.0R-B
E85 KiDo tuned
Statts

Postby pgardiye » Tue May 21, 2013 8:26 am

Yep ordered an OTG Y cable yesterday, hopefully I will get it this week :D

Statts wrote:Hence my question as to what OTG cable you were using :D

Glad you sorted it out. DCDC-USB is not a definite necessity. You can try the power supply you have, and get an OTG cable that will work in-line with what you have. Straight OTG cables aren't common with Micro-F to Micro-M, so why not grab a USB OTG y-cable as that has the ends you want and will allow you to add storage or other USB accessories down the track if you so wish.
pgardiye

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options