My In-Dash Nexus 7 Project

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: My In-Dash Nexus 7 Project

Postby Robbks » Wed May 08, 2013 11:38 am

Statts wrote:That is correct re: single input. This is countered by running TuneIn radio on the tablet, that gives me access to live streaming local, Australia-wide and International radio stations (both FM based and digital) over the internet. Data usage from TuneIn is very little.

Ahh, very interesting
that should work seamlessly with my Axxess Aux input (Stereo jack) too

So all up it's around the best part of a $700 job
$500 just for the fascia's and relocation kit (inc postage) and up to a couple of hundred for a 7" tablet.

But it's a bucketload better value than a factory Satnav unit!
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby Statts » Wed May 08, 2013 11:59 am

Robbks wrote:
Statts wrote:That is correct re: single input. This is countered by running TuneIn radio on the tablet, that gives me access to live streaming local, Australia-wide and International radio stations (both FM based and digital) over the internet. Data usage from TuneIn is very little.

Ahh, very interesting
that should work seamlessly with my Axxess Aux input (Stereo jack) too

So all up it's around the best part of a $700 job
$500 just for the fascia's and relocation kit (inc postage) and up to a couple of hundred for a 7" tablet.

But it's a bucketload better value than a factory Satnav unit!

Correct, you could certainly do it that way. As I said, just be wary of the audio quality when using the 3.5mm jack.

$400 including postage for the fascias from JapanParts. G88 was only slightly more (~5 or something), I just felt more comfortable buying from JapanParts (personal preference).

I got my 32GB Nexus 7 for $204 on a price match from Officeworks, but apparently the game is up on that price match due to it not matching their policy. There are refurb ones under $200 at an Aussie retailer.

Much better than a factory sat nav unit. More up to date maps, more useful and more fun at a tiny fraction of the price.
MY06 3.0R-B
Cusco bars & links, AVO mounts, JSpeed LCA bushes
Prova intake, HKS resonator trumpet, HKS panel filter
E85 KiDo tuned
Statts

Car: 05 3.0R-B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14975

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed May 08, 2013 12:18 pm

:shock: UNFNKNBLVBL :shock:
These installs just keep pushing the bar!
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Robbks » Wed May 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Statts wrote: just be wary of the audio quality when using the 3.5mm jack.

yeah the audio from the ipod via the Axxess isn't the best anyway.
thinking of going to the anycarlink unit aswell
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby garbo41610 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:33 pm

Nice looking install, very clean. As for audio quality, I wouldn't be too concerned, taking this route isn't a route you'd take to win SQ comps, but it won't sound too much worse than normal mp3 compressed files.
Car(s): Steel Silver MY10 GT Wagon + 1985 Subaru Sherpa

Mods: (GT) HKS Panel Filter. The HKS I put in the MY10 is the same filter I took out of my MY05 GT. So yes, they do fit. Custom leather heel pad to minimise carpet wear in the drivers footwell. Slotted front rotors. (Sherpa) 14'' 6 Spoke mags, Chrome Gear Shift (sick!), Alloy Pedals (sicker!), new positive and negative battery terminals, Alpine cda-9827 H/U, JBL GT 6x9's boxed and mounted (sickest!), Kicker DS650.2 component speakers mounted in the footwells in flibreglass pods, Alpine MRP-F200 4 channel amp (4x40wRMS), Rebadged with hektik chrome eBay badges, STi stickers for more powaaaa, "leather" handbrake boot, recarpetted with grey/black car carpet from Bunnings, sick Clarke Rubber boot mat, polished and waxed.
garbo41610
-stickered-

Car: MY10 GT Wagon Steel Silver

Postby Statts » Wed May 08, 2013 12:38 pm

bigBADbenny wrote::shock: UNFNKNBLVBL :shock:
These installs just keep pushing the bar!

Thanks Benny. Nice to get compliments from people who are so particular with their own car.

Robbks wrote:yeah the audio from the ipod via the Axxess isn't the best anyway.
thinking of going to the anycarlink unit aswell

Not sure how much you will gain from going to the AnyCar Link and staying with 3.5mm. Your weakest link will be the in-built DAC and amplification circuit in the tablet. It's going to cost you the best part of $200 to make that switch, whereas for $250, you could get an FSL-21 and a USB DAC. Then you will have yourself some glorious sound. Like I said, up to you. It all depends on how much you value sound quality.

garbo41610 wrote:Nice looking install, very clean. As for audio quality, I wouldn't be too concerned, taking this route isn't a route you'd take to win SQ comps, but it won't sound too much worse than normal mp3 compressed files.

This argument has it's merits, but you will still get noticeably more 'depth' to the music with a better quality output. Personally, I listen to a lot of FLAC audio too, so the 3.5mm out definitely doesn't cut it for me.
MY06 3.0R-B
E85 KiDo tuned
Statts

Postby yardman » Wed May 08, 2013 4:16 pm

A bit off topic, but I notice the Info Panel you've relocated reads Temp and Time - how did you manage this?

Mine only shows time and seems to be missing the BRIGHT button too. Do I need to upgrade?
yardman

Postby Statts » Wed May 08, 2013 4:28 pm

yardman wrote:A bit off topic, but I notice the Info Panel you've relocated reads Temp and Time - how did you manage this?

Mine only shows time and seems to be missing the BRIGHT button too. Do I need to upgrade?

Pre facelift / post facelift difference mate.
MY06 3.0R-B
E85 KiDo tuned
Statts

Postby yardman » Wed May 08, 2013 4:47 pm

Statts wrote:Pre facelift / post facelift difference mate.

Ah, I see it what you've done. Your post-FL grill deceived me.

Might have to see what I can hack together, always thought the post-FL clock looked shit and outdated (plus it won't do 24 hour time). Having the temp in there just balances it out, provides a bit more purpose.
yardman

Postby Monkey » Tue May 14, 2013 11:41 am

This looks great - exactly what I want to do - but I have a few questions:

1. Will this set up work on the post-facelift (MY07-MY08) models?

2. I assume you're using your phone as a wireless hotspot? Any reason why you didn't opt for 3g other than the extra $100 or so (Kogan has 32GB 3g Nexus 7 for $299)

3. Was the Behringer USB DAC only to improve sound quality? Can it be removed? (I only ask this as I have one of these for recording DJ sets to laptop which was temperamental and died after very limited use)

4. Does the sound go via a plug on the back of the McIntosh for CD changers, or are you still using an AUX in?

5. Did the install disable your 12v power source (cigarette lighter)?

6. Does the 1TB HDD run all the time when the car is on? Is the Mini-Box DCDC-USB Power Supply for the HDD, or the tablet, or both?

7. Does the 4-port USB Hub allow you to easily plug in USB sticks, or is this hidden behind the dash for the HDD and tablet only?

8. Can you still use the tablet's USB to transfer files from a laptop with the USB-ROM ? Can you disable the USB?

9. Link to the Subaru 7" AV Panel Kit? I had a look but couldn't find it, unless it's the Hasepro one: http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_deta ... ARCH_page=

10. Do you have any ground loops coming through your stereo?

Anyone know whether this install would be improved with a GROM to integrate bluetooth, phone and ensure steering steering controls? eg: http://www.cushieaudio.com.au/subaru-usb2p.html

My thought is an install with:

Nexus 7 3g tablet ($299)
av panel kit ($150-200?)
tablet power supply switched to ignition ($50?)
GROM USB2 Plus with Bluetooth dongle, mic, and USB extension cable accessories ($220 + delivery)
USB cable from tablet to GROM in ($10-20)
~$800 all up

This way (I think) I can plug in a USB stick to the GROM for music (which is the easiest format to update), or take handsfree phone calls, and I can have navigation/movies/torque (minus sound) running at the same time and still retain steering controls for anything connected via the GROM. The obvious downside is that I may not be able to run two audio sources (eg. navigation instructions and music via GROM) simultaneously, but I'm not sure there's any set up which can do this anyway, other than playing music from the tablet and having navi running but I don't think that works very well.

My main concerns about installing a tablet are:

1. the tablet might suffer with temperature changes - especially sitting right next to the air vents - and could be subjected to ~5 degrees with A/C on to 50 degrees with windows up in summer (black car);
2. Accessing the power button for reset
3. battery life might become non-existent if always charging when the engine is on, but I guess you could add a charge on/off switch?
4. rapid pace of technology means the tablet it will be a p.o.s. in 1-2 years. The Nexus 7, whilst a good tablet, is already discontinued. So at $800 it's a bit of an expensive install for such a short life.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus car dock which essentially does the job that I want (music/navi, etc), although the dock is too tight to get in and out and phone screen is only 4.6". Plus I don't want to put my phone in there for short drives / leave in there when parked. So I thought my other option is to get the Galaxy desk dock for $90 (which, like the car dock, has USB charging and 3.5mm stereo out); a car cubby mount for $30 + postage (http://www.cubbymounts.com/2005-2009.html) and then modify the mount to make it fold, retract, and recess behind the cubby door (this might be difficult/costly). This would be a good cheap option which allows me to drop my phone in and pull out easily, except it still requires me to run a 3.5mm stereo cable from the cubby area, underneath the centre console and pop up in the glove box where the AUX in is, and I'll have average sound, a small screen, and the setup will be obsolete in 12 months or less when I upgrade my phone.

I really wish someone would produce a dash-mounted lockable universal car dock which allowed you to slide in and out any brand of Android 7" tablet where charging & audio operats flawlessly (eg. via pogo pins, and only when vehicle is on), and looks like a factory option and doesn't show thieves that there's a tablet in there to steal.
Monkey

Car: MY07 black 6MT Liberty tbSTI sedan

Postby Statts » Tue May 14, 2013 2:00 pm

Monkey wrote:This looks great - exactly what I want to do - but I have a few questions:

1. Will this set up work on the post-facelift (MY07-MY08) models?

2. I assume you're using your phone as a wireless hotspot? Any reason why you didn't opt for 3g other than the extra $100 or so (Kogan has 32GB 3g Nexus 7 for $299)

3. Was the Behringer USB DAC only to improve sound quality? Can it be removed? (I only ask this as I have one of these for recording DJ sets to laptop which was temperamental and died after very limited use)

4. Does the sound go via a plug on the back of the McIntosh for CD changers, or are you still using an AUX in?

5. Did the install disable your 12v power source (cigarette lighter)?

6. Does the 1TB HDD run all the time when the car is on? Is the Mini-Box DCDC-USB Power Supply for the HDD, or the tablet, or both?

7. Does the 4-port USB Hub allow you to easily plug in USB sticks, or is this hidden behind the dash for the HDD and tablet only?

8. Can you still use the tablet's USB to transfer files from a laptop with the USB-ROM ? Can you disable the USB?

9. Link to the Subaru 7" AV Panel Kit? I had a look but couldn't find it, unless it's the Hasepro one: http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_deta ... ARCH_page=

10. Do you have any ground loops coming through your stereo?

Anyone know whether this install would be improved with a GROM to integrate bluetooth, phone and ensure steering steering controls? eg: http://www.cushieaudio.com.au/subaru-usb2p.html

My thought is an install with:

Nexus 7 3g tablet ($299)
av panel kit ($150-200?)
tablet power supply switched to ignition ($50?)
GROM USB2 Plus with Bluetooth dongle, mic, and USB extension cable accessories ($220 + delivery)
USB cable from tablet to GROM in ($10-20)
~$800 all up

This way (I think) I can plug in a USB stick to the GROM for music (which is the easiest format to update), or take handsfree phone calls, and I can have navigation/movies/torque (minus sound) running at the same time and still retain steering controls for anything connected via the GROM. The obvious downside is that I may not be able to run two audio sources (eg. navigation instructions and music via GROM) simultaneously, but I'm not sure there's any set up which can do this anyway, other than playing music from the tablet and having navi running but I don't think that works very well.

My main concerns about installing a tablet are:

1. the tablet might suffer with temperature changes - especially sitting right next to the air vents - and could be subjected to ~5 degrees with A/C on to 50 degrees with windows up in summer (black car);
2. Accessing the power button for reset
3. battery life might become non-existent if always charging when the engine is on, but I guess you could add a charge on/off switch?
4. rapid pace of technology means the tablet it will be a p.o.s. in 1-2 years. The Nexus 7, whilst a good tablet, is already discontinued. So at $800 it's a bit of an expensive install for such a short life.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus car dock which essentially does the job that I want (music/navi, etc), although the dock is too tight to get in and out and phone screen is only 4.6". Plus I don't want to put my phone in there for short drives / leave in there when parked. So I thought my other option is to get the Galaxy desk dock for $90 (which, like the car dock, has USB charging and 3.5mm stereo out); a car cubby mount for $30 + postage (http://www.cubbymounts.com/2005-2009.html) and then modify the mount to make it fold, retract, and recess behind the cubby door (this might be difficult/costly). This would be a good cheap option which allows me to drop my phone in and pull out easily, except it still requires me to run a 3.5mm stereo cable from the cubby area, underneath the centre console and pop up in the glove box where the AUX in is, and I'll have average sound, a small screen, and the setup will be obsolete in 12 months or less when I upgrade my phone.

I really wish someone would produce a dash-mounted lockable universal car dock which allowed you to slide in and out any brand of Android 7" tablet where charging & audio operats flawlessly (eg. via pogo pins, and only when vehicle is on), and looks like a factory option and doesn't show thieves that there's a tablet in there to steal.

1. Yes

2. Correct. I don't see the need for a 3G tablet (+100) and data only plan (+$30 per month?) when my phone plan has ample data, also my phone supports dc-hspa+, much quicker than the hspa+ of the Nexus 7 3G.

3. Correct, to improve quality. Yes it can be removed, but prepare to be underwhelmed by the audio quality of the 3.5mm output / Bluetooth.

4. As mentioned in OP, Nexus 7 > UCA-202 > FSL-21 aux in adapter > McIntosh stereo. FSL-21 plugs in-line to changer connector

5. Yes, I took the igntion source from the cig lighter plug as I'm not using it anymore (info panel relocation kit). You can always tap in line to the cig lighter.

6. Yes, but standby mode works when HDD is not in use. DCDC-USB power the whole deal via the USB OTG y-cable.

7. It's behind the tablet, but no reason you can't put it in glove box or centre console.

8. Yes, you can unplug the USB OTG cable and plug in a regular USB cable, but I really see no need to when this can be done over wifi.

9. You didn't look hard enough it would seem. http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_detail.php?submit.x=75&submit.y=2&NUMBER=00013926&VOLUME=107-203-002&DEALER=1&CAR=6&MIDDLE=2&SMALL=13&MAKER=5&VOLKEY=&SEARCH_DEALER=1&SEARCH_CAR=6&SEARCH_MIDDLE=2&SEARCH_SMALL=13&SEARCH_MAKER=&SEARCH_VOLKEY=&SEARCH_page=3

10. No. Sound is crystal clear. YMMV with cheap shoddy power supplies.

Re: your concerns about how to listen to music and navigation.

This works absolutely flawlessly for me. I listen to music, whether it be off the storage, Pandora, Spotify, internet radio, whatever. Music is muted when nav instructions come up, and un-mutes after. Steering wheel controls are possible using an RC Joycon (GIYF). Bluetooth handsfree via the tablet is a WIP with good devs on the case. Making / answering calls and sending / receiving messages already available, but audio comes through phone at this stage with on-tablet control of phone loudspeaker. Music mutes / pauses during phone call.

Re: you "main" concerns:

1. Early testing of USB-ROM had a guy from Australia with an N7 permanently mounted in a vehicle through Summer. Interior temperatures of up to 52deg with no noticable affect on the tablet, got in, turned the car on, works fine.

2. There are widgets for that, that even have one-touch reboot to recovery for flashing ROM updates, etc. If you ever need to hard reset, just pull the trim. It's quite easy, yet I've never had a FC with this ROM, let alone a hard lock.

3. Maybe, but this is a fixed install. I care not for the battery really. Yes, you could add a switch inline from the ignition switch.

4. For in-car fixed installation use, I can't see the Nexus 7 being even close to a "p.o.s." in 1-2 years time. It has ample CPU power and RAM to cover all you would need in-car.

Monkey wrote:I really wish someone would produce a dash-mounted lockable universal car dock which allowed you to slide in and out any brand of Android 7" tablet where charging & audio operats flawlessly (eg. via pogo pins, and only when vehicle is on), and looks like a factory option and doesn't show thieves that there's a tablet in there to steal.

Haha, you can dream. This is the world of Android. Uniformity doesn't allow manufacturers to achieve a unique product that (they think will) stand out above the rest.
MY06 3.0R-B
E85 KiDo tuned
Statts

Postby jakey » Tue May 14, 2013 2:03 pm

Monkey wrote:3. battery life might become non-existent if always charging when the engine is on, but I guess you could add a charge on/off switch?

You're drunk.

Nex 7 has a lith-ion battery = no charging memory issues.

The Nexus 7 is not discontinued. The 8GB may be discontinued but they are still selling 16GB and 32GB models.
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby NhojM » Tue May 14, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi Guy's

I've just ordered a Sat Nav Facia from JDM Japan, not cheap $266.00 inc freight.

Only need to choose a 7" tablet. I'm going to use it for Internet (google maps) and run Torque or Rev

Dick Smith advised that the Samsung Tablet will charge in car.

Will setup audio through the auxiliary port at the rear of my Mcintosh unit.

Can anyone foresee any problems here

Appreciate any advise

John
NhojM

Car: Liberty GT

Postby jakey » Tue May 14, 2013 6:01 pm

I would try and grab a nexus 7 rather than the samsung one.

-only other problem as suggested by OP is that you might want an ac/ac power supply for a more stable charge.
- then you'll want to read up on flashing the ROM to the one suggested by OP.
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby Statts » Tue May 14, 2013 7:17 pm

As jakey said, be very careful going for another tablet. Be sure that it is going to behave exactly the way you want it to in a fixed installation scenario.

I extensively researched this project, and the conclusions of my research are what can be seen in the first post. I'm more than happy to help people with advice on how to do it all, but be sure to do a little research yourself too.
MY06 3.0R-B
E85 KiDo tuned
Statts

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options