My In-Dash Nexus 7 Project

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: My In-Dash Nexus 7 Project

Postby phly » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:07 pm

Thanks for the tips, im currently at the drilling stage at the moment as well and yeah the usb cable totally disables the vents. I'll have to give the shaving a try too.
phly

Car: '05 Liberty GT Sedan 5EAT

Postby Gra's GT Lib » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:32 am

hi there
was hoping someone could help out with my install my problem is have power troubles could someone help out with how they have wired there's up ie where they got there permanent power from and acc to power dcdc up
red wire ?
white wire ?
thanks in advance
regards
Graeme
Gra's GT Lib

Car: MY05 GT Liberty

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:29 am

What gen nexus is it?
What rom?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Monkey » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:56 am

bigBADbenny wrote:What gen nexus is it?
What rom?

Agreed, this is important info.

I have read that the Nexus 2nd gen (2013) is more efficient and do not necessarily need a separate power supply.
I have a N7 2013 with Timur's ROM (which allows for sleep and wake when powered) and are powering off a cheap 2.1A cig--> USB plug ($5) with a OTG y-cable ($5) and Behringer UCA202 DAC ($35). My charge rates have not dropped below 96%, and usually sit at 100%, for the past 6 weeks.

Maybe post some pics / diagram of what equipment you're using and how it's wired?
Monkey

Car: MY07 black 6MT Liberty tbSTI sedan

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:50 am

^ iirc you initially had issues with your charging, what was the fix?
bigBADbenny

Postby Monkey » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:11 am

bigBADbenny wrote:^ iirc you initially had issues with your charging, what was the fix?

Yes I did. I believe there were 3 things preventing it from going into deep sleep:

1. Torque (I now shut down manually if I'm using it, but if I ever get around to using Tasker I can probably automate - only use it occasionally anyway).

2. Car Dashdroid (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rdashdroid). Along with Torque and other car skins, this is a documented cause of failing to activate deep sleep in Timur's kernel.

3. My USB power supply - I bought a Scosche Revolt 2.4A + 2.4A from the US (http://www.scosche.com/usb-car-charger-dual-port) , which is one of the most powerful 12v--> USB chargers on the market. I assume that in order to produce 4.8A it somehow circulates power and stores it temporarily(?) I say this because sometimes it left the Nexus powered for minutes even when the key was out. It was only by coincidence when I switched back to my $5 cheapie 2.1A + 1A charger I noticed it shut down correctly.

My initial thought was that I needed to charge faster and I experimented by trying to get up to 6.9A by using an OTG hub and multiple USB inputs (2.4, 2.4, 2.1), but the Nexus charge rate is limited to around 1100mA and the actual issue was sleeping properly. I haven't seen it go under 96% since these issues were corrected and it charges typically around 500-700mA according to CurrentWidget.
I can sometimes use Torque or Dashdroid and it will sleep, but I can't reliably use both without shutting down the applications when leaving the car overnight. But for my usual 15 min commute to work I'm only using the Nexus as a music player anyway, so neither are required.

For anyone considering a Nexus install, I would strongly recommend using the 2013 version with Timur's kernal - double the RAM, far superior screen resolution, faster charging, and you don't need a separate power supply. The only downside is that, to my knowledge, you can't relocate the charging port to the back of the tablet because it is not connected by a ribbon cable - rather hard wired. So it makes refitting the vents difficult as the charging cable constricts movement of the air vent blades, and mine are currently removed. However, HyRax has overcome this issue by stripping the micro USB connector's sheath and bending.

Hoping to complete my install this weekend by adding magnets to make it removable and sorting out my vents.
Monkey

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:22 pm

Thanks for the clarification!
bigBADbenny

Postby Gra's GT Lib » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:36 pm

hi have completed nexus install v1 running 4.2 all working fine but having an issue with torque app I have it all connected via Bluetooth torque is communicating with ecu have all green ticks but none of the real time gauges are working they are all saying no data I have done a profile for car as well has this issue happened to anyone else any help would be great thanks in advance
Graeme
Gra's GT Lib

Postby HardwareBoB » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:44 pm

Gra's GT Lib wrote:hi have completed nexus install v1 running 4.2 all working fine but having an issue with torque app I have it all connected via Bluetooth torque is communicating with ecu have all green ticks but none of the real time gauges are working they are all saying no data I have done a profile for car as well has this issue happened to anyone else any help would be great thanks in advance
Graeme

This will never work for your car - 05 GT does not make ODB2 monitoring available. You will need to get a btssm and the app in order to be able to do this sort of monitoring - check out the btssm thread, and btssm.com
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby Gra's GT Lib » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:47 pm

ok well that answers the problem thanks mate appreciated

Graeme
Gra's GT Lib

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:55 am

Mainly fast charging and deep sleep/wake

Have you used the fast charge option with any success? The battery damage warning has been enough to scare me away.
TheFirstEskimo

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21725

Postby HyRax » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:46 am

TheFirstEskimo wrote:Have you used the fast charge option with any success? The battery damage warning has been enough to scare me away.

Fast Charge works great - there's nothing to be scared of.

The tablet will only ever drink as much as it needs.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby Monkey » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:11 am

HyRax wrote:
TheFirstEskimo wrote:Have you used the fast charge option with any success? The battery damage warning has been enough to scare me away.

Fast Charge works great - there's nothing to be scared of.

The tablet will only ever drink as much as it needs.

Agreed with Hyrax. And I've tried to force in 6.9A and it never allowed charge above about 1100mA (usually 750-950mA), also never seen a battery damage warning?
Monkey

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:02 pm

also never seen a battery damage warning?

On Timurs ROM in USB options, there is an option to fast charge at 1500(I think)mA.
It says 'fast charging can damage your device etc etc'
TheFirstEskimo

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21725

Postby HyRax » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:06 pm

TheFirstEskimo wrote:On Timurs ROM in USB options, there is an option to fast charge at 1500(I think)mA.
It says 'fast charging can damage your device etc etc'

Only if you connect it to an inadequate power source.

Normally FastCharge only enables when you plug into a wall charger where you can't use the data side of the USB cable (because the data lines are shorted to "inform" the tablet that it can suck down more energy safely). By telling the tablet to assume FastCharge mode at all times, it means it will ignore the fact that the data lines are not shorted and will attempt to suck down more energy as required, which at the same time also allows you to continue using the data side.

If your USB charger, hub or PC USB ports are unable to provide the volume of energy being drawn, you definitely run the risk of damaging something, but as long as your charger is capable of supplying at least 1.5A on that port, you're fine.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options