My In-Dash Nexus 7 Project

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: My In-Dash Nexus 7 Project

Postby Monkey » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:40 pm

ah I see, that is in the SuperUser(?) options - Fast charging is automatically enabled when FI -mode is active. Non-fast charging will see your charge rate drop to around 400-500mA
So mine's always on fast charging, and it's never gone above 1100mA charge rate (even inputting 6.9A as mentioned above), but usually hovers around 750-900mA, depending on how many applications are open, screen brightness, etc. NOTE: My measurements are based off the CurrentWidget app (which I don't think works on Nexus 7 1st gen), so unsure if they're accurate.
At 750-900mA, charge rate is approx 1% every 2 mins.
Monkey

Car: MY07 black 6MT Liberty tbSTI sedan

Postby DiggeR » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:04 am

I'm in the process of chucking a Nexus 7 2012 into my car at the moment.

My aim would be to basically have an uber setup with the following:
- Maps/Navigation
- Streaming services (youtube, spotify, pandora via phone tether
- usb connected media playback (music/video)
- BT connected ELM327
- potentially a dashcam/reversing cam over BT/usb
- hands free calling via an app would be nice but probably not something that will work without something else

Now what I've secured is Timurs 2012, all the replacement parts/info panel move kit, a power supply, OTG-Y cable, usb hub and the Behringer USBDAC. Am I better off getting an FSL-21 to connect it to the head unit from the DAC or just wire direct?
Thoughts?

Also looking for any vids/pics of what people have running as far as skins etc as well. Looking into a way to get the bootloader to auto boot when power is connected too (rather than go to charger and need power button interaction if it's gone flat). Any suggestions?

Cheers!
DiggeR

Car: 2010 Liberty GT Premium

Postby HyRax » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:45 am

DiggeR wrote:Now what I've secured is Timurs 2012, all the replacement parts/info panel move kit, a power supply, OTG-Y cable, usb hub and the Behringer USBDAC. Am I better off getting an FSL-21 to connect it to the head unit from the DAC or just wire direct?
Thoughts?

Personally I'm using BT audio to my headunit. Aside from a slight delay in sync for movies, it works and sounds great. More than adequate for music, navigation and so forth. As a bonus, the titles of music and movies gets shown on the headunit display for that extra bling factor. ;)

DiggeR wrote:Also looking for any vids/pics of what people have running as far as skins etc as well. Looking into a way to get the bootloader to auto boot when power is connected too (rather than go to charger and need power button interaction if it's gone flat). Any suggestions?

You can see my WIP video for some ideas here. It's in the car now, but I haven't shot a new video yet. The car spends the vast majority of time in Torque Pro (appears when I turn on the car). I use the headunit to control the tablet via BT for play/pause/skip music which simply goes from album to album by itself. I only switch back to the home screen to bring up navigation as required, but don't need to have the traditional skinned menu on my display.

As for power, you can modify the fastboot settings so that the tablet always turns on when power is applied, even when completely flat (when completely flat, there will be a necessary period of charging of about an hour before it will actually commence boot).

1. Get your tablet into Download Mode.
  2. Connect to a PC with a USB cable and install the Android SDK so you can get the adb and fastboot tools.
  3. At a command prompt/terminal, issue the command

Code: Select all
    fastboot getvar all

and you will get some variables returned. One of them is "off-mode-charge" which should be set to "1" by default.
  4. Change this setting to zero using the command:
    fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0

Now your tablet will automatically turn on and boot (if sufficient charge is available in the battery) when external power is applied.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby DiggeR » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:04 pm

HyRax wrote:Personally I'm using BT audio to my headunit. Aside from a slight delay in sync for movies, it works and sounds great. More than adequate for music, navigation and so forth. As a bonus, the titles of music and movies gets shown on the headunit display for that extra bling factor. ;)

Sadly no BT capability in my head unit (mcintosh premium 6cd kit).

HyRax wrote:
You can see my WIP video for some ideas here. It's in the car now, but I haven't shot a new video yet. The car spends the vast majority of time in Torque Pro (appears when I turn on the car). I use the headunit to control the tablet via BT for play/pause/skip music which simply goes from album to album by itself. I only switch back to the home screen to bring up navigation as required, but don't need to have the traditional skinned menu on my display.

Cheers for that, I'll have a look :)

HyRax wrote:As for power, you can modify the fastboot settings so that the tablet always turns on when power is applied, even when completely flat (when completely flat, there will be a necessary period of charging of about an hour before it will actually commence boot).

[*]Change this setting to zero using the command:
fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0

Now your tablet will automatically turn on and boot (if sufficient charge is available in the battery) when external power is applied.[/list]

Cheers for that, I'll do that now.
DiggeR

Postby Monkey » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:24 pm

DiggeR wrote:
Now what I've secured is Timurs 2012, all the replacement parts/info panel move kit, a power supply, OTG-Y cable, usb hub and the Behringer USBDAC. Am I better off getting an FSL-21 to connect it to the head unit from the DAC or just wire direct?
Thoughts?

FSL-21 is unnecessary if you have the AUX in connection in your centre console glovebox

DiggeR wrote:Also looking for any vids/pics of what people have running as far as skins etc as well. Looking into a way to get the bootloader to auto boot when power is connected too (rather than go to charger and need power button interaction if it's gone flat). Any suggestions?

The point of Timur's ROM/kernal is that when in Fixed Installation (FI) mode it activates 3 things:
1. Fast charge
2. Landscape view
3. Power on = wake ; power off = sleep

So once you have added Timur's ROM you don't have to do anything further other than (1) ensure FI mode checkbox is ticked in the SuperUser app which will be added to your tablet, and (2) add a power source.
I used a $5 cig lighter to USB plug, although not sure if this will work with 1st gen Nexus as wel (apparently charging is less efficient than on 2nd gen)

See my write up here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29716
Also my Torque STI gauge theme: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21834&hilit=+torque
Monkey

Postby DiggeR » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:00 pm

Monkey wrote:FSL-21 is unnecessary if you have the AUX in connection in your centre console glovebox

Ahh yeah I don't. For some reason the original owner had just the premium pack installed but no aux cable. To be honest I'm not even sure they used the cd stacker.
Monkey wrote:The point of Timur's ROM/kernal is that when in Fixed Installation (FI) mode it activates 3 things:
1. Fast charge
2. Landscape view
3. Power on = wake ; power off = sleep

So once you have added Timur's ROM you don't have to do anything further other than (1) ensure FI mode checkbox is ticked in the SuperUser app which will be added to your tablet, and (2) add a power source.
I used a $5 cig lighter to USB plug, although not sure if this will work with 1st gen Nexus as wel (apparently charging is less efficient than on 2nd gen)

Cool that's kinda what I had figured out. I've got a small dcdc power supply if I need it but will likely piggy back off the ciggy lighter.
Monkey wrote:See my write up here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29716
Also my Torque STI gauge theme: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21834&hilit=+torque

Cheers I'll have a read over it tonight :)

Really appreciate the help guys :)
DiggeR

Postby Flat6Estate » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:32 am

In the process of getting a Nexus7 2012 tablet.
Bought it cheap from a very good mate.
He had already rooted it and put his own ROM onto it, but has already cleared this and installed Timur's onto it for me - saves me a headache or 2

I've already got a Bury CC9068 bluetooth system hooked up to the McIntosh system using the interfacing cables (no longer available) which takes up the existing Aux port, but the Bury has it's own Aux input as well. So hopefully I can do it without the FSL21 connector.

Once I have all this working and tested, I'll order the facia kit from Japan parts to install it in the car.

I just want Navigation onboard (Tom-tom, sygic, co-pilot), Bluetooth for obd2 diags, and a reverse cam.

There seems to be no firm answers on the reverse cam situation, but I am looking into it. If anyone can help, I could love with a wifi, bluetooth OR wired solution. Anything as long as it works...
MY08 Spec B 3.0L Manual Wagon
1998 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat - a bit broken :-o
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Car: 2007 MY08 Liberty Wagon 3RB 6spd
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32189&p=425885#p425885

Postby Monkey » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:07 am

I'm interested to know about the reverse cam too. I think at least one person has done it in their Lib?
from my research, the hardware is there (ie. USB cams) it's just the software. This one claims to do it, but personally I wouldn't pay $350 for a $40 camera
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wifi-Reversi ... 1317891477

One thing worth considering - if you're using BT audio, I wonder whether the OBD2 will conflict? ie. whether you can have 2 BT devices working simultaneously (and reliably!)
However, if your BT setup has an aux in as indicated, get yourself a USB DAC (eg. Behringer UCA 202). USB audio is superior to BT and it's much more reliable and quicker to connect.
Monkey

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:29 am

Discussion on driverless uvc cards and cams: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19619&p=407525&hilit=Reverse+camera#p407525
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Flat6Estate » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:08 pm

Can anyone dumb any of that down for me a little????
I understand IT, but that stuff is way outside my skill set...
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Postby phly » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:24 pm

I'm also keen on a simple reverse cam solution for the tablet. I've looked around too but no real easy or common solutions from what ive seen.

Let us know what you find.
phly

Car: '05 Liberty GT Sedan 5EAT

Postby SomeFReaK » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:35 pm

Flat6Estate wrote:Can anyone dumb any of that down for me a little????
I understand IT, but that stuff is way outside my skill set...

They are comparing USB video devices using Linux or OSX to get the chipset details and then seeing if they work on android. Really a bit of trial and error to find out what works for the cheapest price on the tablets rather than just shelling out the extra $$$ for the FEBON usb capture device thats a known working device.

Hopefully that helps clear it up a little.
SomeFReaK

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25973

Postby Flat6Estate » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:18 pm

I want a camera to go neatly on the back of the wagon. Maybe one of those number plate light replacement cameras.
It sounds like a bluetooth solution might be easier, as no wires to run - as long as it will work if I am using bluetooth for obd2 adapter at the same time...

Otherwise how much is the Febon thingo and then a nice cam to plug into it? I couldn't find a price on the site
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:07 pm

It's around $75 plus delivery iirc :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

AutoMate if you want Android Auto experince

Postby alex » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:38 am

Not sure if it has been mentioned in this post, but you guys should check out AutoMate app. Someone has build a standalone app that runs AndroidAuto style set up, and it works amazingly on a tablet. Haven't tried a nexus, but definitely worth a look if you don't mind android's stock look.

https://plus.google.com/communities/102 ... 2710276577

If you want the app you have to add yourself as a developer, but it's easy and instructions are on the google+page.

I found this app the other day when I was looking for design ideas for my tablet install, I just love how clean this is!
alex

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options