My In-Dash Nexus 7 Project

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: My In-Dash Nexus 7 Project

Postby Statts » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:20 am

pgardiye wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread. But here is something useful if you are like me who want to save battery life on your phone. My main issue was to turn bluetooth on and off when I'm only in the car to talk with tablet talk and bluetooth headset. I always had to remember to either leave bluetooth on all the time or activate it whenever I get into the car. So basically left it turned on all the time and my battery was draining faster than normal.

however, with this app called Profile Flow now you can activate/deactivate certain features of your phone based on time/date,s etc.. and pretty useful...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... c.taskflow

I reckon Tasker is a better app, not that I use it anymore.

Does your phone have NFC? What about trying an NFC tag in your car to turn Bluetooth on / off when you get in / out of your car?
MY06 3.0R-B
Cusco bars & links, AVO mounts, JSpeed LCA bushes
Prova intake, HKS resonator trumpet, HKS panel filter
E85 KiDo tuned
Statts

Car: 05 3.0R-B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14975

Postby pgardiye » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:34 am

I was going to consider tasker but this app came out of no where and pretty easy to setup plus FREE :D .

Nope doesn't have NFC :roll:

Statts wrote:

Does your phone have NFC? What about trying an NFC tag in your car to turn Bluetooth on / off when you get in / out of your car?
pgardiye

Car: Liberty

Postby Monkey » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:04 pm

Not as good as the Good Guys deal recently for $255, but still a lot cheaper than most stores - 32GB 3G for $289 + delivery (~$19 metro)

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/google-nexu ... 032GB%203G
Monkey

Car: MY07 black 6MT Liberty tbSTI sedan

Postby psy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Statts wrote:
pgardiye wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread. But here is something useful if you are like me who want to save battery life on your phone. My main issue was to turn bluetooth on and off when I'm only in the car to talk with tablet talk and bluetooth headset. I always had to remember to either leave bluetooth on all the time or activate it whenever I get into the car. So basically left it turned on all the time and my battery was draining faster than normal.

however, with this app called Profile Flow now you can activate/deactivate certain features of your phone based on time/date,s etc.. and pretty useful...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... c.taskflow

Pretty sure that un-modified, phones need to be unlocked (pin/password already entered) for NFC to be used.
2016 Subaru Forester XT Premium
psy
-stickered-

Car: 2016 Forester XT Premium

Postby JLuehman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:59 pm

I have also installed a Nexus 7 in my post-facelift Liberty.

I did it the cheap/dodgy way though:
- Hacked up a standard surround instead of buying the nav one (the tablet sits almost vertical)
- Use a simple car charger to power it
- Use the 3.5mm headphone output into the aux input on my stereo

Use Play Music for music, Sygic for offline turn-by-turn navigation and Torque for diagnostics.
Also use Tasker to make the shutdown/startup much better.
JLuehman

Postby pgardiye » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:36 pm

Post some pics :D love to see your install too...

JLuehman wrote:I have also installed a Nexus 7 in my post-facelift Liberty.

I did it the cheap/dodgy way though:
- Hacked up a standard surround instead of buying the nav one (the tablet sits almost vertical)
- Use a simple car charger to power it
- Use the 3.5mm headphone output into the aux input on my stereo

Use Play Music for music, Sygic for offline turn-by-turn navigation and Torque for diagnostics.
Also use Tasker to make the shutdown/startup much better.
pgardiye

Postby Robbks » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:47 pm

Right,

My AV panel is on it's way from Sydney, and my 7" Tab2 arrived from JB HiFi today
Been playing with the car home ultra app and it seems pretty good for what i want it to do.

My HTC OneS phone has it's own "Car" app which is brilliant.
it prevents the device from locking the screen but it will fully dim if needed, gives you access to music, messaging, navigation, maps, etc
wonder if it can be somehow pushed into a non HTC device
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby JLuehman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:20 pm

pgardiye wrote:Post some pics :D love to see your install too...

Ill take a pic or 2 tonight and post them up.

Robbks wrote:it prevents the device from locking the screen but it will fully dim if needed, gives you access to music, messaging, navigation, maps, etc

The dimming was the most annoying thing i found. I ended up using tasker to control it. When the key is turned on, the screen timeout is set to one hour and when the key is turned off the timeout is set to 7 seconds.
JLuehman

Postby Slate » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Has any one else looked into utilising the pogo pins for charging and audio?

Would love to take that route but am afraid that the audio quality may suffer.
Slate
formerly m3l0dy

Car: MY07 Liberty Gt spec b

Postby Robbks » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:42 am

Been playing with UCW on my tab2

Also using Simple Wallpaper to add a fullscreen image as the static background
then UCW has a transparent hotspot (button) that fills the whole home page to launch the CarHome App
And I added the Text to the widget so it only appears where you place the widget. and found the font that's damn close to the SUBARU font on NASIOC

and CarHome Ultra app

Last edited by Robbks on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Postby pgardiye » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:47 pm

pics not loading?? :?:

Robbks wrote:Been playing with UCW on my tab2

Also using Simple Wallpaper to add a fullscreen image as the static background
then UCW has a transparent hotspot (button) that fills the whole home page to launch the CarHome App
And I added the Text to the widget so it only appears where you place the widget. and found the font that's damn close to the SUBARU font on NASIOC

and CarHome Ultra app

pgardiye

Postby su34ru » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:28 pm

Congratulations to Chris on a terrific piece of work!

Need some advice from the good folks here.
I had a Nexus 7 sitting around (the original 8 gig WiFi), so rooted and put Timur's ROM on it.
Now for getting it into the car. I have a Gen 5 wagon. Anyone done any work with Gen 5s here? These have a double din HU (non Macintosh, non Satnav), followed by a pocket below and aircon cotrols further below. As I see it, if the nexus 7 has to sit in the double din, it replaces the stock HU and i will have to install a single DIN HU in the pocket... does anyone know of a Fascia kit that'll let me do this? Or is there a way to somehow mount the Nexus 7 on top of the existing stock HU (some kinda bracket or even in dash holder?) since that will become the primary system in the car and the HU remains on AUX the whole time?

A question for Chris - why did you use the FSL-21 for Aux? Was it because your HU did not have an Aux in? The Gen 5 HU has one. Should I just connect with a 3.5mm cable? Or am i losing SQ this way?

Any help appreciated.
su34ru

Car: MY10 Sports Premium Wagon

Postby Statts » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:38 am

su34ru wrote:Congratulations to Chris on a terrific piece of work!

Need some advice from the good folks here.
I had a Nexus 7 sitting around (the original 8 gig WiFi), so rooted and put Timur's ROM on it.
Now for getting it into the car. I have a Gen 5 wagon. Anyone done any work with Gen 5s here? These have a double din HU (non Macintosh, non Satnav), followed by a pocket below and aircon cotrols further below. As I see it, if the nexus 7 has to sit in the double din, it replaces the stock HU and i will have to install a single DIN HU in the pocket... does anyone know of a Fascia kit that'll let me do this? Or is there a way to somehow mount the Nexus 7 on top of the existing stock HU (some kinda bracket or even in dash holder?) since that will become the primary system in the car and the HU remains on AUX the whole time?

A question for Chris - why did you use the FSL-21 for Aux? Was it because your HU did not have an Aux in? The Gen 5 HU has one. Should I just connect with a 3.5mm cable? Or am i losing SQ this way?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

I can't help with the Gen5 specific stuff being a Gen4 owner, but there's a couple of things you could investigate. Firstly, you could look at modifying the brackets that hold the standard headunit to allow it to slide further back into the dash, allowing the tablet to sit in front of it, but still behind the fascia. I've seen this done quite well in a Forester (but can't recall what forum it was on, maybe NASIOC). Another option is to get rid of the stock headunit all together and run the tablet standalone. This can be done with a USB DAC and a small amplifier that you could mount behind the tablet where the headunit once was. That is assuming that your model doesn't have a factory amplifier. If it does, you could just run line level RCA's from the DAC to the factory amplifier (some custom cable splicing could be required).

Correct, the pre-facelift McIntosh doesn't have an high level AUX in, but even if it did, I prefer the FSL-21 method as it means I use a USB DAC, eliminating the amplifier in the tablet, meaning I get the best quality output possible. Many people are using the 3.5mm stereo option as it's very easy if your headunit has a 3.5mm in. But sound quality is the trade-off. Most would never tell without hearing the two side by side.
MY06 3.0R-B
Cusco bars & links, AVO mounts, JSpeed LCA bushes
Prova intake, HKS resonator trumpet, HKS panel filter
E85 KiDo tuned
Statts

Car: 05 3.0R-B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14975

Postby libz05 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:22 am

great work statts!!
libz05

Car: 2005 my06 3.0R-B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15492

Postby Robbks » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:33 am

pgardiye wrote:pics not loading?? :?:

How about Now...??

I'm looking at a similar setup in a Gen3 that I'm getting in a month and like the Gen5 it has double DIN HU, single DIN pocket and heater controls.

If i get rid of the pocket and substitute a single DIN HU then there's the perfect space left for a 7" tab

there are a heap of aftermarket DIN sized dash surrounds for the Gen5, depending on which model you have with manual or push button auto CC

i.e, you can remove teh pocket and drop in a dingle DIN HU with nice surround,
then you're left with the top part to put in your Tab with matching surround

surrounds
Robbks

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options