My In-Dash Nexus 7 Project

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: My In-Dash Nexus 7 Project

Postby pgardiye » Tue May 21, 2013 7:37 pm

flashing is pretty easy to do now. I can do up a little tutorial if you like.

NhojM wrote:Awesome thanks guys, my luck now depends on Statts flashing the Nexus Rom for me :D :D
pgardiye

Car: Liberty

Postby pgardiye » Tue May 21, 2013 7:41 pm

below is a screenshot of my nexus 7 so far... I have to say that HarryBob here in forums helped a lot with customisation stuff :D

pgardiye

Postby wcefan » Tue May 21, 2013 7:46 pm

pgardiye wrote:below is a screenshot of my nexus 7 so far... I have to say that HarryBob here in forums helped a lot with customisation stuff :D

looks good. I will also be flashing my nexus 7 either tonight or in the next few days so can guide up if you need.
wcefan

Car: MY06 Liberty GT tbSTI #25

Postby Statts » Tue May 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in replies, had a flat out day at work. Just about ot have some dinner and will reply when I'm done.
MY06 3.0R-B
Cusco bars & links, AVO mounts, JSpeed LCA bushes
Prova intake, HKS resonator trumpet, HKS panel filter
E85 KiDo tuned
Statts

Car: 05 3.0R-B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14975

Postby NhojM » Tue May 21, 2013 8:27 pm

pgardiye wrote:below is a screenshot of my nexus 7 so far... I have to say that HarryBob here in forums helped a lot with customisation stuff :D

How did you put the Subaru logo in the widget?
NhojM

Car: Liberty GT

Postby wcefan » Tue May 21, 2013 8:48 pm

NhojM wrote:How did you put the Subaru logo in the widget?

Judging by the placement of it, I think it's just the Background. You can make a widget with just the Subaru Logo though, using UCCW (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... dget&hl=en)
wcefan

Postby Statts » Tue May 21, 2013 9:23 pm

NhojM wrote:Hi Statts,

My Sat Nav facia has just arrived, I was wondering if i could take you up on your offer to flash/setup (Nexus 7 with Timur's USB-ROM)
for me?

If your willing, I could transfered $$ into your nominated bank account for you to buy the Nexus 7 over there to avoid double freighting and minimise down time. I'm more than happy to to pay you for your time and efforts mate. This would only be fair!

Where did you get the Subaru Info Panel Relocation Kit from, phoned Subaru and was told there's not such thing for my MY07 Liberty GT

For my simple needs I'm only using the Nexus Tablet for Google Maps andTorque App and internet if and when required.

I'm not going to play movies or music or need to connect USB devices.

Any chance you could advise how the following componets connect?

Can I buy any of the below instore like Dick Smith or Jacar?

Electric Design FSL-21 McIntosh AUX in unit (assume this is defiantley required to run sound though my Mcintosh system)
Mini-Box DCDC-USB Power Supply (can I buy this instore or only online)
USB OTG Y-Cable (is this required for my setup and needs meentioned above?)
Behringer USB DAC (what is a DAC and do need this for my setup?)
4-port USB Hub (assume this is only required for connect devices, if required)

Look forward to hearing back from you

Cheers,
John

Yes, I'm happy to do that for you, we can discuss it in PM.

As mentioned by others, we need to work out exactly what head unit model you have. As mentioned, if you have an AUX button on the front, then you can get the AUX in adapter from Subaru, cheaper than the FSL-21 from memory. If you can't work out exactly how to get the audio into your head unit, take a picture of the front, and a model number if it's on the front and post it up.

DCDC-USB is only available online. It also takes some fiddling with jumpers and soldering of a female USB plug on for the charge cable, as it only has bare wire ins and outs. Consider your ability with 12v wiring and soldering of small guage cables before deciding how you skin this cat.

USB OTG Y-cable is easiest to grab off ebay, I will provide links in a follow-up post.

The DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) converts USB to line level stereo audio. Not required for your setup I'm thinking. Gives better quality sound, but like you said, it's just for navigation and Torque.

Correct, 4 port hub is only if you want to add things like DAC. If all you can ever see yourself upgrading to is some form of external storage then you wont need a hub, as the storage can plug direct into the y cable.

wcefan wrote:Info Panel Relocation Kit (japanparts number: 107-203-001) you can get from here (scroll about half way down): http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist. ... =13&page=3

Does your stereo come with AUX in? or do you have the button for it on your stereo? If so, you don't need the FSL-21, you just need the AUX cable from Subaru.

Spot on on both accounts. With the info panel kit, you're given the option at checkout of A-C (pre facelift) or D-F (post facelift).

wcefan wrote:Hey Statts,

You may have missed my earlier post about this.

How is the angle of the tablet? and do you get much sunlight glare? Considering using my Nexus 7 for it.

Also would you mind measuring the Length and Width of the opening of that AV Panel Kit for me? Starting to plan my install and it would really help.

Cheers man.

Sorry I missed that. The angle is fine I think, a little tighter for the passenger, but the wife says she still sees it fine. Very important to get an anti-glare (matte) screen protector. Naked screen or gloss screen protector will leave you hating. Matte is also good for resisting finger prints. I'll measure it up tomorrow for you.

NhojM wrote:My has a aux button on the stereo, so I don't need a FSLIC-21 only a auxiliary out cable from Subaru?

There you go, ignore my request for a photo above. Yep, just get on to Subaru and order the AUX in kit to suit your car (order by VIN).

pgardiye wrote:hmm... I'm not too sure how much AUX cable would cost from Subaru. What I did was to buy a 3.5mm to RAC cable (http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_lead-audio-visual-antsig-12m-audio-to-2rca-ap262_P4360280.aspx?search=3.5mm&searchType=any&searchSubType=products&page=2and wired it to existing pin at the back. I found wiring diagram through another post here. I will find it and update link soon if you want to do it yourself and save some money :).

Nice one. That's what I'd be doing if I had that model, should be easy enough. For NhojM though it may just be easier to buy the kit. Only judging from his earlier posts.

NhojM wrote:Awesome thanks guys, my luck now depends on Statts flashing the Nexus Rom for me :D :D

No luck involved. We'll get you set up mate.

Nice one, looks great. Mind sharing some info and/or links?

wcefan wrote:looks good. I will also be flashing my nexus 7 either tonight or in the next few days so can guide up if you need.

I posted a link a few pages back on how to flash the USB-ROM / Gapps. Before that though, it's easiest to use Nexus 7 Toolkit to unlock bootloader / flash TWRP / root.
MY06 3.0R-B
Cusco bars & links, AVO mounts, JSpeed LCA bushes
Prova intake, HKS resonator trumpet, HKS panel filter
E85 KiDo tuned
Statts

Car: 05 3.0R-B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14975

Postby pgardiye » Tue May 21, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm not using any background image. I have set tablet to no background and using desktop visualizer widget with customised images linking to apps. I will put a detail post may be tomorrow with all the links and how to setup etc... bit late right now and have an early start tomorrow :roll:

wcefan wrote:
NhojM wrote:How did you put the Subaru logo in the widget?

Judging by the placement of it, I think it's just the Background. You can make a widget with just the Subaru Logo though, using UCCW (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... dget&hl=en)
pgardiye

Postby pgardiye » Tue May 21, 2013 9:38 pm

Hey Statts,

To quickly tell you how the homepage was setup, you'll need either to search for 2x1 images or make your own. I'm using nova launcher and have my homescreen setup with 10x10 grid. And using desktop visualizer app to create widgets(2x3 size) - image size 385px x 186px. Then you can simply link to app or have an image without any action. For the subaru logo, this exactly what I did. I created a widget with no action, so image just sits at the top :). Hope that make sense.

I will put together a little tutorial tomorrow hopefully.

pgardiye wrote:hmm... I'm not too sure how much AUX cable would cost from Subaru. What I did was to buy a 3.5mm to RAC cable (http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_lead-audio-visual-antsig-12m-audio-to-2rca-ap262_P4360280.aspx?search=3.5mm&searchType=any&searchSubType=products&page=2and wired it to existing pin at the back. I found wiring diagram through another post here. I will find it and update link soon if you want to do it yourself and save some money :).

Nice one. That's what I'd be doing if I had that model, should be easy enough. For NhojM though it may just be easier to buy the kit. Only judging from his earlier posts.

pgardiye

Postby wcefan » Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 pm

pgardiye wrote:Hey Statts,
And using desktop visualizer app to create widgets(2x3 size) - image size 385px x 186px. Then you can simply link to app or have an image without any action. For the subaru logo, this exactly what I did. I created a widget with no action, so image just sits at the top :). Hope that make sense.

Pretty much exactly what UCCW does ;) lol
wcefan

Postby NhojM » Tue May 21, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks Statts, look forward to your PM

Will call Subaru re the OEM audio cable, maybe a lot easier

Much appreciated
NhojM

Car: Liberty GT

Postby wcefan » Tue May 21, 2013 9:49 pm

NhojM wrote:Thanks Statts, look forward to your PM

Will call Subaru re the OEM audio cable, maybe a lot easier

Much appreciated

kk. I read somewhere earlier on this forum that the AUX cable from Subaru was about $120.
wcefan

Postby pgardiye » Wed May 22, 2013 6:40 am

Probably, and I'm sure there are other apps too. I'm happy with desktop visualizer :) so don't want to change...

wcefan wrote:
pgardiye wrote:Hey Statts,
And using desktop visualizer app to create widgets(2x3 size) - image size 385px x 186px. Then you can simply link to app or have an image without any action. For the subaru logo, this exactly what I did. I created a widget with no action, so image just sits at the top :). Hope that make sense.

Pretty much exactly what UCCW does ;) lol
pgardiye

Postby Ric » Sun May 26, 2013 10:22 pm

champ wrote:subscribed... I thought there was a button at the top corner of the forum page where I can click to subscribe / bookmark a thread :?

Yes you can. It's down the bottom though, not up the top.
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby katana » Fri May 31, 2013 5:25 pm

Wow great thread Statts
I have managed to score a free cubby facia from my wrecker and will cut it to suit.
One thing I would like to add is a reverse camera, what are peoples thoughts on the best way to achieve this.
Are there bluetooth cameras? or would you simply use a RCA to usb addapter?
katana

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options