Grom troubleshooting thread

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: Grom troubleshooting thread

Postby scary » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:08 pm

bosc0 wrote:So db1 isn't the only one who's managed to get the GROM working with the Post FL Mac unit....? Damn.

I have noticed a few times the quote "Works via CD Changer".... am i the only one who's connection from the GROM to the headunit was like a jumper cable that connected via what seemed to be the main harness for the head unit and not via the smaller CD changer port (if there is one on the later model Mac)?

I should mention my car is a MY07 (build 06), not the later updated MY08+.

scary wrote:Well A big thankyou to the community here and Wavetech Imports!!

After ordering a Anylink 1080B and being somewhat frustrated that it didn't work, Wavetech swapped it out for the Grom IPD3-Sub and Grom Cable -BTD.

FINALLY installed the unit over the weekend and it works a treat.

So for the record

MY08 TBSTi McIntosh in dash CD Head unit
+ Grom IPD3-Sub
++Grom Cable - BTD

Works via CD Changer
Streams audio via Bluetooth
Phone calls crisp and clear
Volume better than radio
Steering wheel controls work to track up and down
Steering wheel controls work to Answer / reject calls
Auto answer of phone when switching input
No track name on Bluetooth Streaming
Yes track name on IPod connection

Great unit, Great customer service

I now have a RAM mount from the US and run the Tom Tom Navigation app on the Iphone 5, with music playing and able to answer calls.

Very happy and a great solution for MY08 McIntosh

Well mine is still working fine - 1 issue that would note is if you skip tracks forward a lot via the swc it will only go so high (random amount) and then answering the phone etc stops working via the SWC. Only fix I have found is to scroll all the way back to track 1.

I play music from either playlist or entire libary
[RS RA]

The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
scary

Car: MY08 STi

Postby db1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:25 am

And you have track names displayed on your HU? That's the only thing that's not working on mine.
db1

Car: MY08 GTB

Postby theironyuppie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:46 pm

MY02B4 wrote:
db1 wrote:So I pulled the HU out and mines made in Japan. The only problem I could see was the connection being easily loosened as it doesn't click in, as theironyuppie mentioned, so I taped it down. I'll have to wait till Monday to see if anything's changed

sjm69 wrote:Works well with iPhones

Does that mean yours works now Steve? Or are you refering to the charge.

Think he means charging.

I thought the clip was loose as well but you just need to press a bit harder and it locks in place.

db1, how did you tape it down?
kind of awkward as there doesn't seem to be a good way to do it. i know its a long shot but i might give it a try.

MY02B4, im not sure how much db1 tried bit i pushed it about ah hard as i could and it didn't seem to be budging at all. its almost like the plug head is slightly too long and you're just pressing plastic face on plastic face. did you have to use a tool or something to push it in?
theironyuppie

Car: Black 09 Liberty GT Spec-B Manual

Postby db1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:34 pm

Yeah, it wasn't the most elegant result but its working. Basically, I used wide duct tape and taped the sides of the plug vertically on both sides just enough to hold it in place. Half the strip of tape on the HU and the other half on the outer edges of the plug. Does that make sense? Anyway, it's been flawless since.
db1

Postby theironyuppie » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:14 am

cool, yeh makes perfect sense. ill give it a go. cant hurt :D
theironyuppie

Postby MY02B4 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:05 pm

I pushed firmly with my fingers on both sides of the plug at the same time and I didn't even have the entire headunit out. I guess if you pushed very hard then maybe its just matter manufacture quality. If its really too long then maybe you can sand it down a tad just enough so it doesn't ruin the metal connectors.
MY02B4

Postby TomTom » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:21 pm

Just installed mine into a MY08 (McIntosh PF-28241), quality is nice although there's a small high tune ring and the controls don't work (on the unit and wheel) along with no display of song on the unit. It just reads: "CHR1 D01 T01"

After putting everything back together it stopped functioning and I couldn't toggle to CD, I took everything apart again and pushed the cord in with a bit of force and it all seemed to function again.

Tips? Maybe a mode I need to put it into...?

I've tried using an iPod classic and a iPhone 4S, using spotify and iTunes.
For sale - part out: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=26977
TomTom
formerly TomTheBomb

Car: MY08 Lib GT STI #167
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24291

Postby db1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:15 pm

Unfortunately the Groms are hit and miss. More miss than hit actually.
Maybe try taping the plug into place. Mine became loose and developed issues, including the whine. It's been perfect since taping into place.
As for the controls, it's got everyone baffled. Mine work, most others don't.
db1

Postby TomTom » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:54 pm

db1 wrote:Unfortunately the Groms are hit and miss. More miss than hit actually.
Maybe try taping the plug into place. Mine became loose and developed issues, including the whine. It's been perfect since taping into place.
As for the controls, it's got everyone baffled. Mine work, most others don't.

Where did you end up mounting yours? As for the wheel controls not worling its extremely weird. I took a few snaps when installing, you'll notice the harness has two connections as seen in the first and last picture, I left the other connection off as it didn't fit to anything.
http://imgur.com/ijilPTm,EYxB016,pHmZQx ... kc,saeFMPM

Ill get around to emailing them soon to see what they suggest as there is an Aus Shop.
For sale - part out: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=26977
TomTom
formerly TomTheBomb

Car: MY08 Lib GT STI #167
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24291

Postby db1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:57 pm

I put mine in the small cubby in the glovebox. Originally had it behind the ash tray, but it gets quite warm under there, and didn't think that'd be good for its longevity.

I think the extra plug is for satnav/stacker, not sure though.
db1

Postby MY02B4 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:58 am

I haven't used my grom for ages although it's still hooked up to the h/u. The main reason i bought it was for the bluetooth but it defeats the purpose of having it if you can't answer calls with the SWC.

I just noticed that the latest firmware was released in July. Is anyone running the latest version?

http://www.gromaudio.com/software-usb2.html
MY02B4

Postby db1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:16 am

I don't think I'll apply the new firmware. If its not broke................ But for everyone else maybe give it a go.
db1

Postby theironyuppie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:05 am

MY02B4 wrote:I haven't used my grom for ages although it's still hooked up to the h/u. The main reason i bought it was for the bluetooth but it defeats the purpose of having it if you can't answer calls with the SWC.

I just noticed that the latest firmware was released in July. Is anyone running the latest version?

http://www.gromaudio.com/software-usb2.html

I put the new firmware on mine on the weekend.
After getting up the motivation to pull it all apart i finally managed to get it working again.
I took the advice of MY02B4 and pushed the as hard as i could on both sides until it click and stayed in. It Took considerable force but I guess the partial functionality was due to a loose connection.
The new firmware has not fixed my lack of steering wheel controls and now i seem to have another issue. Im not sure if its firmware related but when i play tracks via bluetooth the audio seems to cut out for half a second every now and then. Could be my phone or something else but at least its no longer just a paperweight.
As far as the new firmware goes, ill be updating mine up to date with future firmware to try and fix my issue but like db1 said "If its not broke........"
theironyuppie

Postby theironyuppie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:45 am

Further to my previous post i have just done a bit of reading on my phone (HTC One XL) and for anyone that's interested i think i found the answer to my tracks cutting out here:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/02/android-4-2-2-brings-bluetooth-audio-fixes-to-nexus-phones-and-tablets/

I also read that Jellybean 4.3 will be coming to the One XL. This contains AVRCP 1.3 support which should allow for the bluetooth steering wheel controls to work:
http://ausdroid.net/2013/05/31/list-of-htc-devices-to-get-android-4-3-surfaces-before-its-even-announced/

Sounds like all i have to do is wait. Maybe the firmware versions of other peoples devices has caused them similar problems / lack of functionality. Just a thought...
theironyuppie

Postby MY02B4 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:03 pm

Good info. If you're with Telstra then it would be in the latter half of Q4 cos they really like testing their releases like no tomorrow but at least there's still hope.
MY02B4

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options