AM not working

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: AM not working

Postby Ric » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:58 am

According to the workshop manual, It's a yellow wire with a black stripe, that goes to a connector named "R97".
(It is labelled "RADIO ANTENNA" in this manual, but was labelled "ANTENNA AMPLIFIER" on all the older manuals.
R97 is definitely NOT the RF connection. That is a dedicated coaxial cable, it doesn't go through the loom.)

WI-149.gif
WI-149.gif (92.38 KiB) Viewed 6451 times
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby wannawagon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks Ric, will aim for this weekend.
wannawagon

Car: specBgt wagon 08

Postby wannawagon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Finally got to pulling the trim off the tailgate (wagon) and found the amp.

Amp seems to only provide amplification to the filament in the back glass with 2 wires?(to the LHS top of screen)
, you can trace the filament and there is a connection between the 2 soldered connectors (via the filament) but I dont seem to be able to record any resistance between the 2. Don't know if thats normal? Can't see any obvious damage to filament.
There is another single connection (not connected to the amp) but its filament is very short in the glass. (to the RHS to pod screen)

Am I right in saying that the filament with the double connection is AM and the other is FM?

The Amp power is black with brown tracer (same colour as the earth for the Amp) and seems to operate when either AM or FM is selected.

I bought an ebay manual and it says that none of the 4 terminals to the amp body should have >10 ohm, in my case they all register as open circuit so I can ionly assume it passes that test.

Oddly with the AM or FM selected (and volume up) I can't get static , or even a click etc as I attach or detach the amp. or either antenna connection to the amp.

Should I get a slight voltage at the antenna connections when the amp is on?

Still have no idea really if fault is in Amp, or the headunit
wannawagon

Postby Ric » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:23 pm

wannawagon wrote: Amp seems to only provide amplification to the filament in the back glass with 2 wires?(to the LHS top of screen)
, you can trace the filament and there is a connection between the 2 soldered connectors (via the filament) but I dont seem to be able to record any resistance between the 2. Don't know if thats normal? Can't see any obvious damage to filament.

A photo might have helped here.
I don't have any schematic or curcuit details for the amplifier, but it could be a "dipole" antenna (think TV rabbit ears), in which case there shouldn't be any connection between the two wires.

There is another single connection (not connected to the amp) but its filament is very short in the glass. (to the RHS to pod screen)

What do you mean "pos screen" ?

Am I right in saying that the filament with the double connection is AM and the other is FM?

I don't know. I would have thought they would use a sngle antenna, but it's possible there are seperate elements for the seperate bands.

The Amp power is black with brown tracer (same colour as the earth for the Amp) and seems to operate when either AM or FM is selected.

So you can see 12V there whenever the radio is on?

I bought an ebay manual and it says that none of the 4 terminals to the amp body should have >10 ohm, in my case they all register as open circuit so I can ionly assume it passes that test.

Are you reading that correctly. The workshop manual page I posted above specifies that 4 measurements should all be 10 kilohm or greater!

Oddly with the AM or FM selected (and volume up) I can't get static , or even a click etc as I attach or detach the amp. or either antenna connection to the amp.

That does sound more like a head unit problem. I would expect you to hear some static if it's not tuned to a station.

No

What city are you in?
Ric
Site Admin

Postby Ric » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:24 pm

wannawagon wrote: Amp seems to only provide amplification to the filament in the back glass with 2 wires?(to the LHS top of screen)

A photo might have helped here.
I don't have any schematic or curcuit details for the amplifier, but it could be a "dipole" antenna (think TV rabbit ears), in which case there shouldn't be any connection between the two wires.

I don't know. I would have thought they would use a sngle antenna, but it's possible there are seperate elements for the seperate bands.

So you can see 12V there whenever the radio is on?

Are you reading that correctly. The workshop manual page I posted above specifies that 4 measurements should all be 10 kilohm or greater!

That does sound more like a head unit problem. I would expect you to hear some static if it's not tuned to a station.

No

What city are you in?
Ric
Site Admin

Postby wannawagon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Ric wrote:
wannawagon wrote:
HI RIC, THANKS FOR REPLY AND SIFTING THRU MY GARBLE.
Amp seems to only provide amplification to the filament in the back glass with 2 wires?(to the LHS top of screen)

A photo might have helped here. NOT REALLY ALL THAT GOOD ON THAT SIDE OF COMPUTERS

SHOULD I GET ANY RESISTANCE FROM ONE END OF THE ANTENNA FILAMENT (ON THE BACKSCREEN) TO THE OTHER?

SORRY - FINGERS LIKE THUMBS - SHOULD HAVE READ RHS OF SCREEN (WHEN YOU LOOK AT CAR FROM BEHIND THE SHORTER [FM?] FILAMENT IS TOP RHS)

I don't know. I would have thought they would use a sngle antenna, but it's possible there are seperate elements for the seperate bands.,

RIGHT FROM THE BACK OF THE HEAD UNIT THE ANTENNA COMES OUT AS 2 SEPERATE CABLES (PROBABLY ONLY 2mM INCLUDING INSULATION), NOT THE USUAL SINGLE BIG (SAY 5mm) CABLE - HAVE LOOKED AT ANOTHER HEAD UNIT (07 WRX) WHICH HAS A MALE PLUG LIKE NORMAL WHICH COMES OUT TO A SINGLE SMALL DIAMETER WIRE, CAN'T GET ANY COMMONALITY IN THE PLUGS OR I WOULD HAVE JUST PLUGGED IN ANOTHER HEADUNIT TEMPORARILY TO THE ANTENNA.

So you can see 12V there whenever the radio is on? YES THATS CORRECT - WHEN EITHER AM OR FM IS ON WHICH DOESNT HELP MY THEORY RE FM NOT USING THE AMP.

Are you reading that correctly. The workshop manual page I posted above specifies that 4 measurements should all be 10 kilohm or greater! OOPS - BUT THEY STILL ALL REGISTER AS OPEN CIRCUIT.

That does sound more like a head unit problem. I would expect you to hear some static if it's not tuned to a station. THANKS FOR THE POINTER, MIGHT SEE IF I CAN MAKE UP A PLUG AND TRY ANOTHER HEADUNIT - EVEN AT THE HEADUNIT THERE IS NO CRACKLE WHEN TOUCHING THE CONNECTORS OF THE ANTENNA.

No

What city are you in?
JUST NORTH OF BRISBANE (HALFWAY BETWEEN BRISBANE AND SUNSHINE COAST)

THANKS AGAIN RIC
wannawagon

Postby jakey » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:34 pm

-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby clinch32 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:23 pm

Can anyone shed some more light on this issue as Iam having the same issue??
MY08 GT
clinch32

Postby wannawagon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:55 pm

I am still no closer with my fix - i have sort of given up and just put the tailgate lining back together.

I think Ric is right in saying its a headunit issue but it seems weird in that in this day having a piece of non moving electronics die. (would have thought the death of a stacker unit would more likely be in the cd stacker)

I was wondering if the head units were used in any other cars?
wannawagon

Postby clinch32 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:33 pm

Cheers bud, I will have a tinker and see if I can source it.
clinch32

Postby Mr Hankey » Wed May 21, 2014 10:15 pm

Same issue in my 08 Sti
According to my local car audio installer / repairer it is a common problem with the macintosh units.
AM board has failed in the head unit.
He sends the unit to the service agent for repair - $400 for drive in / drive out repair. He removes & reinstalls headunit and couriers it to the service agent.
Turnaround is 1 week usually.
Mr Hankey

Car: 08 Liberty tuned by Sti

Postby Meatboy45 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:34 am

Hi all,

I registered just to get on board with this problem.
My wife drives a Liberty 07 2.5 Wagon. Pearl White, and she loves to listen to 891/972 for news in the mornings.

I've been looking at our car this morning. I've had the AM amplifier out and checked for "dry joints".
During examination one thing I did notice is that I had the AM radio on and it was dead as usual, but as I closed the rear tailgate the radio came on at about half way closed.
At full close it died again. On subsequent opening/closing it eventually came on while the boot lid was closed. As loud as normal.

It leads me to fear that there is a broken lead in the left tailgate rubber boot.
If it is a broken lead its likely one of the two that feed to the left of the amplifier.
It seems buying another amp to test is an expensive route as they seem to be over AU$60 on eBay.

More testing to do. :)
Meatboy45

Car: Liberty 2.5 07 Wagon

Postby bennygsr » Mon May 18, 2015 10:36 pm

Same problem- AM went dead one day earlier this year, no static, no warning. Had a look at the antenna booster cables and tried to follow them around, but getting this fixed is too far beyond me on my own. I will in the near future head off to an auto elec to see if we can check the antenna booster first.
bennygsr

Postby Legacylad » Tue May 19, 2015 6:45 pm

I really dont think this is an antenna or booster problem. My AM just went dead one day never to return, but just got a replacemnt head unit (used) plugged it in and all good again.
Cheaper just to find a second hand head unit, than chase the problem.
Legacylad

Car: 07 GT-B Sedan

Postby sjm69 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:42 pm

I've had the same problem , second hand HU is the way to go
sjm69
-stickered-

Car: MY08 Premium Wagon

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options