AM not working

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: AM not working

Postby Shiv » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:04 pm

Same problem as all of you....although we don't know what the actual source of the problem is!

Might try test a second hand H/U and see if that makes any difference.
MY08 'off-road spec' Outback 3.0R Premium -- 1"inch raised King Springs, 1"inch lifting blocks, SubaXtreme alloy front & rear bars, KIDO Tune, Valenti Style Tail Lights + much much more!
Shiv

Car: MY08 Outback 3.0R Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27335

Postby paulw11 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:44 pm

My MY05 Liberty wagon suddenly lost AM reception.

After some troubleshooting I found that the power wire to the antenna amplifier in the tailgate door had broken inside the flexible rubber boot (It is routed through the boot on the left hand side of the tailgate).

I was able to splice in another length of wire and now it is working perfectly.

Paul
paulw11

Car: Liberty 3.0SpecB MY05

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:32 pm

I have now also lost AM receiption :? .
I did some research and troubleshooting, but it didn't resolve it. Here is some extra info (incl pictures, which this thread lacks):

Picture 1 is the Antenna amplifier that's mentioned on Page 1 of this thread. It's behind the tailgate trim on the Wagons. The pages from the Service Manual that Ric posted suggest testing continuity of the 4 connector contacts to the Amplifier Body (>10kOhm). I did that, and mine tested fine.

Picture 2 Shows what paulw11 mentioned in the previous post. Wires inside the tailgate rubber boot can break (more so in the Pre-facelift models from what I have read). I checked under both rubber boots, and didn't find any broken cables.
I confirmed that by measuring voltage at the power connector on my wagon's Antenna amplifier (I needed a thin wire to get into the contact). I have 12V, so no issue there.

So I suspect it's an issue inside the Headunit. While I'll gladly spend $1000s on mods, or a few hours fixing the headunit's AM Board (if there was a known fix), I won't be spending ~$400 just to get AM Radio back :lol:. And instead of risking a 2nd-hand unit where the CD Stacker could fail at any moment, I'll stick with my working CD Player.

[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby TBSTI-Wagon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:48 am

I also have no working AM radio. I haven't bothered at this stage to troubleshoot the antenna amplifier or cable runs (believing that knowing my luck, it will be the AM 'board on the Head Unit).

That said, I have been mucking around with a Nexus 7 install in the car, which I got to the actual testing stage yesterday. That included using Tunein Radio to play one of the local AM stations (2CA), which works perfectly. (Better than the genuine article, given that it's a digital stream).

Certainly one way to "restore" AM radio to the car, should you require it...
TBSTI-Wagon

Car: 2008 Liberty Wagon GT Spec B TBSTI

Postby Flat6Estate » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:07 pm

The nexus 7 is exactly how I achieve AM through the AUX port of the McIntosh
MY08 Spec B 3.0L Manual Wagon
1998 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat - a bit broken :-o
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Car: 2007 MY08 Liberty Wagon 3RB 6spd
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32189&p=425885#p425885

Previous