Reverse cameras

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: Reverse cameras

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:38 pm

Do you have a picture of a JDM Camera on a Legacy? I'd like to see that, since I've never seen one. I did a quick search but couldn't find one.

Or even just a Part#, so I can check the Parts diagrams?

Is it like the picture below from a WRX? They're very boxy and stick out surprising far.

I guess my one that I bought online from an Oz Electronics store sticks out just as much (picture below), just seems a bit more streamlined since the housing angles down.

But I see what you mean about the blanking plate, is this it (or the similar one on the other side)?
Mine is a solid piece and needs to be cut out, but I can see where it'd go.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby BMCracer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi again Tom

I'm not 100% sure exactly what the factory one looks like or how far it sticks out, as I've not looked that closely at them. Your one looks good though, I'm sure I could mount that to the factory blank plate and have it looking like an original fitment.

Your last photo is correct, that is the knock-out for the factory camera. All the cars I've seen that factory cameras, have them fitted on the left side ( passengers side in a right hand drive car ).

Do you know your cameras' make and model? It looks nice and discreet and factory / professional - exactly the look I'm after.
2007 NZ new 3.0 Spec B 5EAT wagon in Brilliant Silver 39D
BMCracer

Car: NZDM MY07 3.0R Spec B 5eat Wgn

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:59 am

Yeah, I think they look pretty stock 8). It goes in place of the factory numberplate light.
So it just requires undoing 2 screws (plus all the wiring of course), but no cutting of the factory blanking plate.

I'm pretty sure I got my camera from this VIC store below in 2013 (ordered online). **NOTE: The camera has to be NTSC for our Satnav screens, not PAL!** (the store below only seems to stock a PAL model for Subarus at the moment).
Although, you're not using the factory Display anyway. So as long as your converter to the Nexus can handle PAL, then you'd be fine.
https://www.streetsoundvision.com.au/ae ... camera-pal

But mine was just a generic brand, not Aerpro. They look identical though, so I guarantee they're just re-branded from the same manufacturer in China.

The NTSC model (which will work with our Nav Screens), comes up on a few stores on Ebay. It's the same Aerpro Brand, just 'G101VSN' as the model number.
The Sydney Car Audio store Ryda.com.au also lists it (although they say' NTSC' in the description but the Product Code is the PAL one :? ):
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aerpro-G101V ... 2807741005
https://www.ryda.com.au/aerpro-g101vs-s ... amera-ntsc
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:11 am

The last thing to mention is that some of these Cameras have the distance lines, and some don't. I like them, so I went with one that did. They don't move like in modern cars, but they're good for judging distance (eg. Red works out to about 30cm on my car).

Example picture below (not from the same camera but looks almost the same, except mine doesn't have a dotted black line in the middle):
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby BMCracer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:55 pm

Thanks so much Tom for all this info, you're a legend!!

Looking at this uvc video grabber https://www.banggood.com/USB2_0-Video-T ... 21000.html it says it can handle NTSC, Pal, and SECAM, so it should work regardless of what camera is on the end of it.

And the camera, from your recommended part number G101VSN http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/for-Subaru-L ... Track=true - a fraction cheaper than the Aussie shops!!!

The biggest thing is trying to find a Nexus 7 without needing a second mortgage - they seem to hold their value unfortunately.
BMCracer

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:15 pm

No problem, glad I can help! :good:

That Video grabber looks great, especially if the price of less than $10 is correct. But it does say compatible with Windows, so make sure it has support for Android (I assume Nexus 7s run Android, I've never had one lol).

That camera looks good too. A bit cheaper made maybe, but that's ok - as long as it lasts. I can highly recommend putting clear silicone into all the gaps and around where the cables go in. Even mine which looks more weather sealed than that one, sometimes gets a tiny bit of moisture in-front of the lens.

Yeah lol, good luck.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby BMCracer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:22 am

tom_kauf wrote:That Video grabber looks great, especially if the price of less than $10 is correct. But it does say compatible with Windows, so make sure it has support for Android (I assume Nexus 7s run Android, I've never had one lol).

It also says if you want to use it on a Mac, to download Quicktime in order to use the grabber, so I guess I can download quicktime to the Nexus and we'll be good to go?
BMCracer

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:14 am

BMCracer wrote:
tom_kauf wrote:
It also says if you want to use it on a Mac, to download Quicktime in order to use the grabber, so I guess I can download quicktime to the Nexus and we'll be good to go?

I have my doubts because the drivers still need to be Android compatible. But I'm no expert, and at under $10 it's worth a try.
A quick google search brought up this forum below, where they suggested an Android USB Camera App, for someone using a USB Camera on a tablet.

But it's probably something you can get a definite answer to on an Android Forum.

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-18051 ... evice.html
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby robo498 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Just installed the reverse camera to my MY08 Liberty LTD ED with factory sat nav. Purchased the cam from fleabay see this link -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Back-Up-Reve ... 2749.l2649

screw holes line up perfectly ! then just had to change the light on the other side to an LED (T10) so they look the same. :D The camera can hardly be seen from behind & the quality of picture is good, and as you can see from the photo's it has the lines on screen. When backing and you get to the RED lines you are about 10cm away from the object. The writing on the screen (CHECK SURROUNDINGS BEFORE BACKING UP) is from the car not the camera.

Thanks to everyone who posted photos & details on how to do it in this forum. **an special thanks to BigBadBenny for his advise!**

If anyone his any questions feel free to PM me for answers.
Attachments
DSC03984.JPG
DSC03984.JPG (137.66 KiB) Viewed 13107 times
DSC03983.JPG
DSC03983.JPG (136.61 KiB) Viewed 13107 times
DSC03981.JPG
DSC03981.JPG (133.51 KiB) Viewed 13107 times
DSC03979.JPG
DSC03979.JPG (137.73 KiB) Viewed 13107 times
DSC03977.JPG
DSC03977.JPG (140.41 KiB) Viewed 13107 times
robo498

Car: liberty wagon my08 2.5L Sat Nav

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Excellent install :good:. Great to hear another reverse cam installed :)
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:11 am

So good :good:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby betty.k » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:43 pm

Strange request, I have a reverse cam that sometimes flickers due to a poor connector choice. Unplugging and replugging seems to fix it. But during this process i sometimes get the reverse grid lines showing up on screen. I normally have none, how do i permanently include the reversing gridlines?
betty.k

Car: my09 gt spec b

Postby robo498 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:54 pm

Mine are built into the camera, only the words come from the car. :o
robo498

Car: liberty wagon my08 2.5L Sat Nav

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:46 pm

betty.k wrote:Strange request, I have a reverse cam that sometimes flickers due to a poor connector choice. Unplugging and replugging seems to fix it. But during this process i sometimes get the reverse grid lines showing up on screen. I normally have none, how do i permanently include the reversing gridlines?

Hmm, yeah they're usually built into the camera :?. So on mine, the camera either gets power (and shows lines), or shows no picture at all.
And chances are that the Reverse Switch in the transmission is the cause of the flickering. I had the same issue, and had the transmission switch replaced and it has been great since then.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby Visatra GT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 am

Hi, guys. Looking at getting one of these NTSC reverse cameras hooked up to my factory satnav.
Have read that there is a custom plug that is needed to plug the camera into the satnav.
Can this be purchased from someone or do I have to DIY this?
Visatra GT

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options