Reverse cameras

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: Reverse cameras

Postby Monkey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:55 am

Does anyone know whether there are reverse cameras and an app which can be run with a Nexus in-dash installation?
Monkey

Car: MY07 black 6MT Liberty tbSTI sedan

Postby HyRax » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:34 am

Monkey wrote:Does anyone know whether there are reverse cameras and an app which can be run with a Nexus in-dash installation?

An app to read from a USB camera would be no problem, but the vast majority of reverse cameras are composite video and the factory and aftermarket touchscreens generally have a composite input that it automatically switches over to when the camera turns on.

Unless you add some kind of USB capture hardware that can effectively turn the reverse camera into a Video for Linux device, you won't have much chance of using a Nexus to view it. Even if you do, then you have to figure out a way to automatically trigger it when you engage reverse.

EDIT: Whaddya know - someone's already done it:

Last edited by HyRax on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:36 am

Maybe a wireless ip cam?
Literally open a webpage to switch to the reverse camera view.

Iirc your gtb should be pre wired with the required reverse switch to activate the nav rev cam option.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Monkey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:34 am

This is awesome - thanks HyRax - I did some research but came up with nothing
Monkey

Postby scottiemac » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:58 am

That is pretty cool witgh the nexus, I might look into that for my wifes forester but i'm still keen on some help for the liberty.

So i went and got the one from ebay on this listing and then noticed that it wont fit my lights as mine don’t screw out.
I have then removed the trim and again nope those plastic covers aren't coming out without some serious persuasion which for obvious reasons I do not want to take an axe too.

Has anyone does this successfully? which one did they get?

I figure I have to go for a generic one, something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281107988199?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Or http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111086246394?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Any help would be appreciated.
scottiemac

Car: MY04 Liberty GT

Postby HyRax » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:35 pm

I've bought this one for myself but I have not yet got around to fitting it. It should snap right in place or one of the existing number plate lights.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CCD-Car-Rear ... f6a&_uhb=1

Annoyingly the LED light, while bright, emits a warm light to match the original halogen light on the other side of the plate, so it doesn't look right with my other white LED light. I'd have to pull it apart to see if I can replace the LED light with a pure white one.
HyRax

Postby scottiemac » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Hey HyRax
Yeah that looks really similar to the other one i bought
I have two. As i got another after i realised my first mistake.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CCD-CAR-REAR-VIEW-REVERSE-CAMERA-FOR-SUBARU-LEGACY-/150975742111?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2326db009f are you sure it'll fit?
when i match it up to the light it look close but not perfect.
I'm nervous about popping out that plastic as it's really jammed in there, i fear i might break it and have no way back if the install goes side ways.
I have looked from both sides of the boot lid and that pastic just doesn't want to come out.
Do you know how it is removed?

I can then try to fit the camera i have in place.
I have white LED's in the other one so yeah i'll have a look at getting it open to attempt the change of colour
Cheers, Scott
scottiemac

Postby HyRax » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:38 pm

ABS plastics are tough. They are designed to allow some flex. All you need to do is wedge a flathead screwdriver in there and wedge it out.

Use a piece of cloth over the screwdriver to avoid any scratches.

As for correct fit, the maker claims that the product is designed for the Legacy so it should fit. By sight, the shape matches up nicely but I haven't actually fit it yet because my dash display isn't ready yet (was going to do a PC but now am likely to do the Nexus7 now).
HyRax

Postby scottiemac » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:48 pm

No probs matey, maybe i was being a little overly gentle with it.
Let me know how you get on. I'm really interested in your install.
Cheers, Scott
scottiemac

Postby Monkey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:05 pm

HyRax wrote:
As for correct fit, the maker claims that the product is designed for the Legacy so it should fit. By sight, the shape matches up nicely but I haven't actually fit it yet because my dash display isn't ready yet (was going to do a PC but now am likely to do the Nexus7 now).

Are you going with 1st Gen or 2nd Gen Nexus? I'm tossing up between the two.
2nd gen is clearly better (faster, etc) , but size is slightly bigger and I'm not sure if it will fit with the JDM fascia. Also I'm thinking 3g/4g is preferable to tethering.
Monkey

Postby HyRax » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:54 pm

Monkey wrote:Are you going with 1st Gen or 2nd Gen Nexus? I'm tossing up between the two.

Most likely first-gen to keep costs down. I've still got to do some fitting tests though, as I'll be using the radio replacement fascia in my case rather than a replacement fascia for the cubby (since I already have the double-DIN radio fascia for the original PC-based project).

EDIT: Hmmm... Might need to rethink the idea of using the radio fascia - it's a damn tight fit and the fascia will need modification. Maybe I will go down the cubby route like everyone else instead!

Image Image Image
Image Image

Monkey wrote:2nd gen is clearly better (faster, etc) , but size is slightly bigger and I'm not sure if it will fit with the JDM fascia. Also I'm thinking 3g/4g is preferable to tethering.

The size difference is minute. I wouldn't worry about it - it looks bigger because it also has a larger screen with thinner bezels.

As for WLAN, just buy a USB hub and use a 3G/4G dongle - no need to spend so much extra on a 3G/4G enabled Nexus. Personally I'll be going the tethering route. Later when I get an NFC-capable phone, I'll just have an RFID tag on the phone holder to enable the wifi hotspot on the phone when I'm in the car and then when I leave the car, it will switch it off.
HyRax

Postby edy80y » Wed May 13, 2015 10:10 pm

HyRax wrote:I've bought this one for myself but I have not yet got around to fitting it. It should snap right in place or one of the existing number plate lights.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CCD-Car-Rear ... f6a&_uhb=1

HyRax my reverse camera arrived today and i think its the same as the one you linked: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/for-Subaru-L ... 3aa0fa795e

Have you installed your one yet? the RCA that came in the box has a red wire coming out of each end and i don't know what its for. there are labelled 'WTF" in the image.

Cheers in advance.

IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG (150.38 KiB) Viewed 5143 times
edy80y

Car: 2008 MY08 Liberty GT Spec.B

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed May 13, 2015 10:18 pm

IIRC its a reverse sense wire, you'd use it to tell an aftermarket head unit that reverse had been selected using the backup light positive (?) as the trigger.

If you're piping your reverse camera video to the stock nav unit its not required.

As for the reverse light wiring connection, attach the positive to the reverse light wiring and the ground to a body ground on the tailgate or boot.
I attached both to the reverse light positive and negative the first time around and fried a rather expensive camera :(
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby HyRax » Thu May 14, 2015 12:22 am

What Benny said is right. :)

And no, I haven't installed mine yet as I'm still trying to find a good cheap USB capture device for my Android tablet to connect it to.
HyRax

Postby edy80y » Thu May 14, 2015 6:31 am

Hey Benny and HyRax,

ah yes, thanks for explanation and the tips.

Hopefully i can sneak out for a couple of hours on Sunday so i can install it :D
edy80y

Car: 2008 MY08 Liberty GT Spec.B

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options